Tell me in a shortened version how do you do Guided Reading?

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by Hamster, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Hamster

Hamster Comrade

Jul 31, 2007

If you do guided reading, tell me how you group the students and what do you do each day. Thanks.

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2007

I teach SPED, so my examples may be a little different than Gen Ed.I do initial assessment at the beginning of the year. Then the students are grouped by ability level based on comprehension ability and fluency. I also do groups for skills like phonemic awareness, phonics, etc. Those groups may be the same, or different, depending on skills being taught. I have an assistant so she teaches the ability level comprehension groups. I teach the skill groups and the on grade level work.( We need to address that because my students have to take grade level state assessments). While we are doing groups, the other students are working in centers.

4. Hamster

Hamster Comrade

Jul 31, 2007

How many students are usually in each group?

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2007

In my class, no more than 3. When I taught gen ed, it was usually 5-6.

6. TXTeacher4

TXTeacher4 Companion

Aug 1, 2007

I have groups of 6 or less. They read novels and do activities based on that novel. I meet with them at least once a week, depending on their reading level. If I am not meeting with them, than they are working on an activity about the book. I found some really great resources in the Lakeshore catelog that I am going to buy.

7. Hamster

Hamster Comrade

Aug 1, 2007

What novels do you use? Which ones are the kids favorites?

8. TXTeacher4

TXTeacher4 Companion

Aug 1, 2007

I use several. How to Eat Fried Worms, Double Fudge, Frindle, Shiloh, There's a Boy in the Girls Bathroom, Skinny Bones, Poppy, Number the Stars... I level the groups in order to differentiate. They seem to like them all. The only time they are uninterested is if I put a kid in a group that is too difficult. The activities I do include reader's response, vocabulary excercises, higher level thinking questions, and other skill related assignments. The Lakeshore catelog has a teacher resource guide that goes with the novels. My team created units for the novels that include tests. I like the Lakeshore books as supplements. I haven't quite figured it all out. I would like to do a rotation, but I am not quite sure how to do it. Any suggestions?

9. missdq

missdq Rookie

Aug 1, 2007

are the reading activities book specific or do u give out general sheets of skills or strategies that could apply to all books??

would u mind sharing any resources on these books?

10. Hamster

Hamster Comrade

Aug 1, 2007

Do you do all of this guided reading instead of the basal reading stories?

11. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 1, 2007

I teach advanced. We start off with a 20 minute mini-lesson, go to centers to 40 minutes, and then the rest of the time (about 30 minutes) we're in our textbook from Houghton-Mifflin. I have six rotations for centers so Gifted students (who are pulled once a week) don't miss the same center weekly.

12. linzteach

linzteach Rookie

Aug 1, 2007

Ms. Jasztal,

Could you give me examples of the centers you do during the 40 minute block. I am still struggling to plan my 90 minute reading block and could use any advice you have to offer. Thanks!

13. TXTeacher4

TXTeacher4 Companion

Aug 1, 2007

All of my files are at school, and I won't be able to get to them for a couple weeks. If you pm me and give me your email address, I can send it to you when I get there.

14. cinaminsweet

cinaminsweet Companion

Aug 1, 2007

We group our students by their SRI scores. I put them into three groups--above grade level, on grade level, and below grade level. I try not to have more than 6 students in my low group (last year I only had 4 kids in it.) We operate on a six day cycle, and we meet with groups for 3 of those days. On the first day, they read their leveled reader, which would be a book from our Houghton Mifflin series. While they read, they are expected to practice and apply the reading strategy (for example, inferring) we used that week. The next day, we continue discussing the book, this time focusing on the reading skill (example, cause and effect) for that week. We also discuss the book in relation to the written response they have to write. (the written responses mirror the ones that appear on the state assessment) When their group time is over, they write their written repsonse at their seat for independent work. On the third day, we review the written responses and discuss how they could've scored higher.

Each group is about 20 minutes long. While I'm meeting with one group, another group is at centers and the other group is doing independent work.

Sorry, this is my version of "shortened" :lol:

15. bina1357

bina1357 Companion

Aug 2, 2007

This is what I did:
    2 days a week I held centers. Each of those days I had 2 rotations of 20 min. each. I had a total of 1 hour for Reading but the first 15 minutes was checking off HW, taking attendance, maybe going over some HW in Reading, etc.

Anyhow, I had 4 rotations over the 2 days: independent reading, file folder centers, reading board game, guided reading group. They were grouped into 5-6 kids. They could not go on to the next rotation until the 20 min. was up. Of course they were never done early so everyone kept busy.

In guided reading we read the leveled readers that came with the basal series, or we went over some reading skills I had taught in class, near the end of the year I started going over their reading tests in these small groups. We could talk about the answers more in depth & usually they missed the same ones since they were all at about the same level.

16. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 2, 2007

Oh, I see your question now. You're the one who sent the PM. :)

-Non-Fiction- Science and social studies articles/graphic organizers/magazine activities, depending on the week.
    -Reading Scouts- All kinds of assignments covering reading comprehension skills. Author's purpose, main idea, comparing and contrasting, etc. The kids learn how to fill in different types of graphic organizers.
    -My group- Pretty basic. We do a story together or read from the same novel together. We also work out of a workbook called Buckle Down reading.
    -Computer/Reading Scouts- Pretty self-explanatory- this site has everything I pull from- http://teachingvision.org/readingwriting/reading.html . Plus, they finish previous reading scouts assignments or start new ones.
    -Silent Reading/Journaling- Very self-explanatory

17. wig

wig Devotee

Aug 2, 2007

Your site is very impressive. I found a number of games I can use for Grades 5/6 and I have barely started exploring it.

I am blessed with the computer laptop lab this year and I intend to make full use of it. :D