Tell me I'm not crazy....

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by giraffe326, Apr 22, 2013.

  1. giraffe326

    giraffe326 Virtuoso

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2006
    Messages:
    7,075
    Likes Received:
    15

    Apr 22, 2013

    School B called me last week to schedule an interview. Unfortunately, I have to be there in person. (I live about 900 miles from the interview.) They do round robin interviews, so a phone interview is out of the question. She TRIED to schedule me on a Saturday, but her committee couldn't make it. So we made it Monday the 29th- tentatively. She knew I had to get time off of my PT job and that my boss wouldn't be back until today to approve it.
    School B is still 2 hours from my family, and it is in a very rural area. 35 miles to Walmart rural. I spent about 30 minutes chatting with the P, and she was very nice. They have 6 openings due to retirement, and either 3 or 4 are in K-2. I am 1 of only 2 applicants certified in early childhood. She CAN hire people without specialization, but it is rare. So the prospects of me getting a job are pretty high.
    However, the full time person at my PT job will be on vacation, leaving us very short staffed. Getting 3 days off was going to be very difficult, but my boss was going to do it for me.

    The problem:
    School C sent me an interview request. School C is in a VERY desirable area, about 45 minutes from my family. It has tons of things to do and shopping at every corner. This is one of the highest paid districts in the state, as well as one of the best academically. I figure they had anywhere from 2000 to 4000 applicants. The interviews are on the 7th. I can't go up for both interviews. Not financially, I can't leave my class that much (I have the days, but I can't do it to them), and I can't get that much time off of my PT job.

    I plan on calling the P for school B and asking her if she can interview me the following week. I already called my boss and told her I will work next week.

    I'm pretty stressed that I am gambling a pretty good shot at school B for a shot at school C. However, getting an interview at school C is a HUGE honor. My best friend was a LTS there three times and she has applied every year for 8 years and never gotten an interview!

    I am not putting it ALL on the line. I have an interview at school A on Friday via Facetime. They have already contacted my references. It is 3.5 hours from my family, though. (But in a super cute town on Lake Michigan- it's gorgeous there!)

    Am I crazy for possibly losing school B for a chance at school C?
    I know from a living standpoint that I will be much happier in the city school C is in. I know the city well, it is close enough that I can commute if my house doesn't sell before August (which is a very real possibility!) It is also still pretty early- not a single school in the county I grew up in has posted a job yet.
     
  2.  
  3. Mathemagician

    Mathemagician Groupie

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2011
    Messages:
    1,372
    Likes Received:
    0

    Apr 22, 2013

    You, you outta yer' mind body. School C doesn't even have a dozer, and it don't do dirt werk!
     
  4. cby1224

    cby1224 Companion

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2011
    Messages:
    143
    Likes Received:
    0

    Apr 22, 2013

    Is there anyway School C would do a phone, facetime, skype, etc. interview? In my opinion, I would hate to miss out on a potential job to "maybe" have a job in another area.
     
  5. giraffe326

    giraffe326 Virtuoso

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2006
    Messages:
    7,075
    Likes Received:
    15

    Apr 22, 2013

    Nope. C is the elite school with PLENTY of applicants to choose from. You definitely jump when they say jump!
     
  6. mopar

    mopar Multitudinous

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2010
    Messages:
    10,924
    Likes Received:
    0

    Apr 22, 2013

    Honestly, I would make the time to go to both interviews. You will be kicking yourself if you don't go and school C doesn't hire you.

    Your part-time job is important now, but if you get hired at any school in the other state, you won't be working there. So I wouldn't make your part-time job the deciding factor.

    And your students will get by with a sub for 2-4 days. It's not going to hurt them in the long term that you miss a few days, especially with switching teachers mid year.

    Calling school B to see if you can come the 6/7th is a great idea. But if they cannot reschedule, I would go both weekends.
     
  7. Jerseygirlteach

    Jerseygirlteach Groupie

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2010
    Messages:
    1,439
    Likes Received:
    2

    Apr 22, 2013

    I would definitely advise you against giving up the opportunity you have at School B. Yes, you might very well have a strong preference towards School C, but an interview isn't a guarantee of anything - not by a long shot. Find some possible way to go to both interviews. This is unless, of course, you're positive that you wouldn't be willing to accept the job at School B if they offer it to you. If that's the case - and only if that's the case - forget about the interview.
     
  8. giraffe326

    giraffe326 Virtuoso

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2006
    Messages:
    7,075
    Likes Received:
    15

    Apr 22, 2013

    But you are forgetting one tiny detail. It costs me $300 to attend each interview, plus about 24 hours of my life in a car :(
     
  9. mopar

    mopar Multitudinous

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2010
    Messages:
    10,924
    Likes Received:
    0

    Apr 22, 2013

    I understand that it is expensive, but if you want to move closer to your family, then it is an expensive and time you need to spend finding a job. If you definitely would not work for school B, then skip the interview...otherwise, I would make the trip for both.
     
  10. giraffe326

    giraffe326 Virtuoso

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2006
    Messages:
    7,075
    Likes Received:
    15

    Apr 22, 2013

    There is also 1 more thing- School B would be a stepping stone. I would immediately be trying to get another job closer to my family the next year. I am not a rural girl, and I want to be really close to my family.
    School (district) C would be somewhere that I would stay for life.
     
  11. KateL

    KateL Habitué

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2007
    Messages:
    810
    Likes Received:
    2

    Apr 22, 2013

    Flip a coin. Heads you go to both interviews, tails you only go to School C. If you're happy with the result of the coin flip, there's your answer. If you're not happy, choose the other alternative.
     
  12. Jerseygirlteach

    Jerseygirlteach Groupie

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2010
    Messages:
    1,439
    Likes Received:
    2

    Apr 22, 2013

    I get the feeling you don't really want the job at school B. I do want to warn you that things we expect to make us happy or unhappy don't always turn out that way. My first teaching job was my "dream position" in my "dream district." Honestly, I wasn't too happy. I wouldn't have thought I'd be happier at my current school/position but I am. I think you should think long and hard before giving up school B. I understand that money is an issue but really ask yourself if the investment isn't worth it before giving up the opportunity.
     
  13. giraffe326

    giraffe326 Virtuoso

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2006
    Messages:
    7,075
    Likes Received:
    15

    Apr 22, 2013

    My PT job is not the only factor. I don't have the money to drive up twice in a week and a half. I currently have 4 jobs to make ends meet, and if I don't sell my house by August, I am in an even bigger world of trouble. Technically, I HAVE the money, but I will have to go up for 2nd round interviews and whatever. PLUS the cost of moving. I was supposed to take a paid internship this summer ($1500), but I just found out that they are not letting me attend. They heard through the grapevine that I am applying for other districts. (I can't blame them, but I've gotten that money for several summers in a row now, and it has funded my trips up.)
     
  14. giraffe326

    giraffe326 Virtuoso

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2006
    Messages:
    7,075
    Likes Received:
    15

    Apr 22, 2013

    Honestly, School C is not my 'dream job'. It is a nationally recognized school district, and I should not tick off the interview gods ;) I never even dreamed that I'd get an interview there- it was so out of reach.

    I DO like School B. I REALLY, REALLY like the P at School B. I don't like the fact that it is in the boonies, and I don't like that I'd still be far from my family. Much closer, but still pretty far. If school B were an hour or so closer to my parents' house, I wouldn't even think about it.
     
  15. giraffe326

    giraffe326 Virtuoso

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2006
    Messages:
    7,075
    Likes Received:
    15

    Apr 22, 2013

    I talked the P at School B. I told her that I was unable to make it (I had already backed out of my time off request this morning, well before I even made this thread), and she is going to get back with me tonight. She is asking her interview team about the 6th. She was super nice about it. Please note- the interview was always pending my ability to get time off of work. It was never set in stone.
    So, hopefully, I will interview at School B on Monday, and School C on Tuesday. I will also mention to School A during my interview on Friday that I will be in the state that week, so hopefully, if they want a 2nd interview in person, it can work out then. (School A is the one I want the least due to the grade level and the 3.5 hours from my family.)
     
  16. swansong1

    swansong1 Virtuoso

    Joined:
    May 19, 2007
    Messages:
    6,692
    Likes Received:
    1,647

    Apr 22, 2013

    ? Translate please.
     
  17. swansong1

    swansong1 Virtuoso

    Joined:
    May 19, 2007
    Messages:
    6,692
    Likes Received:
    1,647

    Apr 22, 2013

    It sounds like you are making the best of the situation. Good luck!
     
  18. giraffe326

    giraffe326 Virtuoso

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2006
    Messages:
    7,075
    Likes Received:
    15

    Apr 22, 2013

    I was thinking about asking the same thing....
     
  19. bruingirl

    bruingirl Rookie

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2012
    Messages:
    28
    Likes Received:
    0

    Apr 22, 2013

    Hi,

    Since money and time is an issue, if you absolutely had to just pick one interview to go to, pick school B.

    School B is the choice because:
    1) You have a much better chance of getting hired.
    2) It's a stepping stone for you even though it's not the ideal location.

    School C is a great location, but your chances of getting in are quite slim, it seems. I think, save your money, go to school B, get a full time job at school B. The following year, you'll be better off financially and in a better position to take paid sick/personal days for interviews to more ideal locations.

    Good luck!
     
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  20. JustMe

    JustMe Virtuoso

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2006
    Messages:
    7,946
    Likes Received:
    3

    Apr 22, 2013

    Same old, same old. :rolleyes:
     
  21. JustMe

    JustMe Virtuoso

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2006
    Messages:
    7,946
    Likes Received:
    3

    Apr 22, 2013

    So which do you want more? C? What if you get no job offers closer to home? Is it an option to stay where you are?

    And thirty-five miles to Walmart ain't bad! ;)
     
  22. leighbball

    leighbball Virtuoso

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2005
    Messages:
    7,507
    Likes Received:
    1

    Apr 22, 2013

    Good luck! I hope it works out for you. :)
     
  23. giraffe326

    giraffe326 Virtuoso

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2006
    Messages:
    7,075
    Likes Received:
    15

    Apr 22, 2013

    I hate Walmart. But, if it is 35 miles to Walmart, I can't imagine how many miles it is to Target :eek:

    I want C. I really, really, really want C.

    If I could pick B up and move it, I would be very happy. The P seems great, which I know is way more important than anything else I've mentioned!
     
  24. giraffe326

    giraffe326 Virtuoso

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2006
    Messages:
    7,075
    Likes Received:
    15

    Apr 22, 2013

    *Update*
    Principal at B is going to interview me on the 6th. (School C is on the 7th). She REALLY loves my resume, and the committee voted- I am just going to skip the round robin interviews, and go straight to the individual interviews. So, basically, I get to skip round 1 and go straight to round 2! She is super, super nice. However, I will start at step 0 on the pay scale :tired: She warned me tonight when we chatted.
     
  25. giraffe326

    giraffe326 Virtuoso

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2006
    Messages:
    7,075
    Likes Received:
    15

    Apr 22, 2013

    OMG. 55 miles to Target!!!! :eek: :eek:
    Ironically, there is a Kohls only (ONLY?!) 28 miles away. Too bad they don't sell food!
     
  26. giraffe326

    giraffe326 Virtuoso

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2006
    Messages:
    7,075
    Likes Received:
    15

    Apr 22, 2013

    I've actually never been in Belks. And, to my knowledge, there isn't a single Belk store in the state of MI. They are all over here in NC.


    And as I mentioned earlier in the thread, I am not a rural girl. This is what worries me about this school! I may die! I NEED civilization!!!
     
  27. waterfall

    waterfall Virtuoso

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2011
    Messages:
    6,017
    Likes Received:
    873

    Apr 22, 2013

    Can you live farther from the school and commute? If it's a rural area there shouldn't be any traffic, so the drive would be easy. I think I could handle up to an hour one way with a no-traffic drive. I applied to some of our rural districts that are around 50 minutes from here. I can't do rural either, but I would commute if I got the job.
     
  28. Mr.history

    Mr.history Cohort

    Joined:
    May 19, 2012
    Messages:
    579
    Likes Received:
    69

    Apr 22, 2013

    I feel your pain. I'm moving to one of the most rural parts of my state from one of the most urban. My fiance is still not happy with me, but I can't find a job here.
     
  29. giraffe326

    giraffe326 Virtuoso

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2006
    Messages:
    7,075
    Likes Received:
    15

    Apr 22, 2013

    I could, but there is really not much under an hour. Plus, I'm over commuting!
    I figure if I was 2 hours from my family, I'd probably spend at least 1 weekend a month at my parents' house. I could shop then.
     
  30. FarFromHome

    FarFromHome Connoisseur

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2007
    Messages:
    1,857
    Likes Received:
    2

    Apr 22, 2013

    Two hours isn't far from home at all. I lived about 3 hours from home when I was in college, and I would go home all the time. Of course 45 minutes would be better, but it sounds like you have a really good chance at school B. I'm glad that things worked out for you and you're able to interview at both!
     
  31. mcqxu

    mcqxu Comrade

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2011
    Messages:
    357
    Likes Received:
    11

    Apr 23, 2013

    I couldn't do it. Sounds like school B wants you pretty badly though! I'm so glad it sounds like things are going well with your search so far:)
     
  32. AdamnJakesMommy

    AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2012
    Messages:
    919
    Likes Received:
    40

    Apr 23, 2013

    Giraffe...

    Just to brace you for this...I really, really, really am getting the impression that unless you totally blow the interview (not likely) they're going to offer you the job that day--or you will go through an obligatory 2nd interview just for obligation's sake, and then you'll get offered the job. I would put money on it.

    Good for you!

    Now you need to think about what will happen once they do that, and you have an interview on the 7th with School C.
     
  33. cutNglue

    cutNglue Magnifico

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2006
    Messages:
    9,154
    Likes Received:
    1

    Apr 23, 2013

    I once lived where the nearest Walmart was 45 minutes away and the town didn't even have a McDonalds. I was only there for six months. Although I moaned and groaned about this while I was there, when I left I realized that my social life in that town was amazing. There wasn't anywhere else to go so we created our own entertainment.
     
  34. giraffe326

    giraffe326 Virtuoso

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2006
    Messages:
    7,075
    Likes Received:
    15

    Apr 23, 2013

    Thanks for your confidence!

    I will definitely not get an offer that day. I MAY get an invite to interview with the Superintendent, though. They have a 3 step process. Of course, I've already skipped 1 step :whistle:

    Regardless of B, I will go in 100% to C. We're talking a $15,000 to $20,000 pay difference- maybe more. Not that pay is everything, because the P at B seems like she'd be great to work for.
     
  35. leighbball

    leighbball Virtuoso

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2005
    Messages:
    7,507
    Likes Received:
    1

    Apr 23, 2013

    I'm glad the interviews worked out. Now before you make up your mind, make sure you leave yourself a little extra time to explore the town. Just because it's rural doesn't mean it's not worth considering. And I agree with whoever said you will probably be getting an offer at some point from school B. They really like you...and if you seem to like the P and the interview goes well, I wouldn't discount it. Things happen for a reason.
     
  36. leighbball

    leighbball Virtuoso

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2005
    Messages:
    7,507
    Likes Received:
    1

    Apr 23, 2013

    But does that mean you won't go 100% into B?
     
  37. giraffe326

    giraffe326 Virtuoso

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2006
    Messages:
    7,075
    Likes Received:
    15

    Apr 23, 2013

    Oh, and School D just entered the picture today, too. However, it is the wrong grade level, a charter, and 1.5 hours from the family. Schools B and C are definitely above it, and A is about tied with it!
     
  38. leighbball

    leighbball Virtuoso

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2005
    Messages:
    7,507
    Likes Received:
    1

    Apr 23, 2013

    I'm glad you are having so much success so early in the year!
     
  39. giraffe326

    giraffe326 Virtuoso

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2006
    Messages:
    7,075
    Likes Received:
    15

    Apr 23, 2013

    Nope. I want in the state.
    It COULD mean that I could drag my feet to committing if something is offered.

    I want to go home. Badly. However, taking everything out of the equation (nice P, unknown P, distance from family, and pay), one very real potential problem is my house and whether or not I can sell it before August. I can't afford my mortgage ($920) and rent on $34,000 a year. School C would allow me to commute from my parents' house if I had to. (WHICH IS TOTALLY NOT IDEAL- 1 BATHROOM :eek: :eek: :eek:)
     
  40. giraffe326

    giraffe326 Virtuoso

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2006
    Messages:
    7,075
    Likes Received:
    15

    Apr 23, 2013

    Me, too :D:D:D:D:D:D
     
  41. leighbball

    leighbball Virtuoso

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2005
    Messages:
    7,507
    Likes Received:
    1

    Apr 23, 2013

    The whole real estate thing obviously complicates things...when will you be putting the house on the market?
     

Share This Page

Members Online Now

  1. TeacherNY
Total: 230 (members: 1, guests: 202, robots: 27)
test