Tell Me If This Is a Weird Idea

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by KinderCowgirl, May 19, 2013.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

May 19, 2013

And I know it's thinking way ahead, but that's the kind of mind I have. :blush: I will probably loop up with my group, so I can't use the standby parent presentations, class books, etc. So I'm trying to start little lists for myself of how I can change it up for next year.

For Halloween I always have the kids dress up as literary characters and present a little speech from the character's perspective. I want to do something different this year. What do you think of giving the kids a vocabulary word and their costume has to represent that word. We'll do sashes with the words like Miss America and then they can use a shirt they already have to decorate or a poster to make sandwich boards. If I got the word "dazzling" I just see lots of shiny jewels, sunglasses, etc. We can do a little runway show of the words on that day.

Is that idea completely out there? I know you guys will be honest with me. ;)

3. a2z

a2z Maven

May 19, 2013

That is cute. It could go over well if the vocab word is something for which someone can make an inexpensive costume.

Seems your school doesn't do Halloween and this is the substitute for it, am I right?

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

May 19, 2013

We do Halloween, but instead of just kids dressing up in costumes that day I try to turn it into a more educationally-related activity.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 19, 2013

My only concern is parents not wanting to make their word's "costume" while also getting together one for Trick or Treating.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 19, 2013

I think it's a cute idea, but it also requires a fair amount of effort and preparation on the part of the parent. I think it would be best if you included an alternate activity/option, one that would be a little easier on busy parents.

7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 19, 2013

What if you did the pumpkin book character display? My kids love doing this.

8. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

May 19, 2013

That's an idea, those do come out really cute. We have no place to display them, but maybe they can present them and then take them home again.

9. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

May 19, 2013

That's true. Maybe I could figure out a way for them to do in class.

10. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

May 19, 2013

I love it! It will truly show the children and their parents' creativity.
    It will separate your "involved parents" from the "didn't have time" ones. SO!?! Hey! That should not stop you from doing it.
    Go on with your bad self KinderCowgirl! Keep it the way you want it.
    That Texan mind is a GREAT thang.:cool:
    Rebel1