Tell me how much you hate Ikea

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by DrivingPigeon, Apr 13, 2012.

1. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Apr 14, 2012

I admit to buying quite a bit of Ikea, and like the modern feel, but previous posters are right - it isn't the best quality. As I can afford it, I upgrade.

As a matter of fact, after lots of saving I just bought:

http://www.plummersfurniture.com/dining/tables/item/3578

and 10 chairs (similar to the ones shown but with metal legs). I finally have a decent dining room set after 3 decades of marriage!

2. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Apr 14, 2012

Only been there once but I love it! The map included shortcuts so you don't need to walk through the whole store to get to the section you want. Alternatively if you know what you want from the catalog or website, you can go straight to the warehouse part and skip the displays. I found the directions for putting things together fairly easy to understand and follow, and I loved the adventure of putting it together myself. So far our cheapo bookcase is holding up great; we haven't had it very long but we do keep it loaded with very heavy books. It's looking great. None of the other things I bought were furniture, so no other comments about furniture quality.

The only gripe I have is that the shipping charge is outrageous. We lugged everything home ourselves but if I'd wanted anything bigger I probably would just pay more for a higher quality store that ships free.

3. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Apr 15, 2012

Trashy stuff. Almost everything I have bought there gets destroyed within a year or two. This is compared to furniture that I have that has lasted 20 years or more. The lower price is not enough lower to make it worth shopping there for most things.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 15, 2012

Son and fiancée just moved into their first apt and got quite a few Ikea pieces. Dh and I bought them their entertainment console there...

I like their housewares/outdoors/entertaining items. We picked up some serving trays and glasses for us while we were there!

I've never had a problem with anything I've gotten from them...

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 15, 2012

So I had to explore a bit about the store's layout. It seems so obnoxious that I now have no desire to go.

6. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Apr 15, 2012

We haven't been married that long, almost 24 years. We are using the kitchen table that I had in college! So my kitchen table is about 30 years old. I've looked, but I've got such a small kitchen with no dining room, so I've stuck with it.

Everything is either too big & bulky, won't work for a family of 4 or is too expensive. Or I come close to finding something and we have an unexpected expense.

Sigh. . .I'm all for good quality pieces that will last forever. I buy something that I know will last.. . .

Knocking on wood that nothing else gives out on us. We just replaced the water heater.

7. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Apr 15, 2012

So feeling that.....the water heater has been making a noise lately ::eek:hmy:

8. bison

bison Habitué

Apr 15, 2012

Sorry, but I LOVE Ikea too! A lot of their furniture doesn't last forever, but at the price it's not really meant to. I live very very close to one, and my BF lives close to an even better one. All of the furniture in my room is from there, because honestly there's nothing else I could afford outside of yard sales, etc. I'd love to upgrade in the future, but it's not happening in the next few years. I'm great at putting together their pieces, never had a missing part, etc. Sometimes we go there just to walk around and eat a hot dog. One thing I don't love is the meatballs! I find them too squishy.

I'm planning on disassembling and reassembling my bed frame when I move. Now that should be interesting. :rolleyes:

Have you guys seen the new Ikea Family card? It's basically a loyalty card and they offer changing discounts and free coffee or tea when you go in the store. I was pretty thrilled to see it since I'm moving soon.

9. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Apr 15, 2012

I just checked the closest Ikea to me is in Houston, Tx. 387 short miles away:) I do have family that lives in Houston. I miss IKEA.

10. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Apr 15, 2012

I like Ikea. I am under no disillusions that it's high quality furniture or anything, but I love their ideas, I love going to the store, and I love their prices.

This is a cool site that shows you ideas for improving the ikea furniture or using it in different ways. http://www.ikeahackers.net/ I think it is cool - I have gotten a few ideas from there.

11. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Apr 16, 2012

you have to build your own furniture sometimes the quality isnt great.....the store is huge....there are cool thing too but you asked for what isnt fun!

12. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Apr 16, 2012

It sounds like it is mostly a furniture store, because everyone seems to be talking about their furniture (?).

Most of the stuff I want on their website is in the organizing or kitchen departments. :)

13. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Apr 16, 2012

I can't stand Ikea. The above comments are right--it's like a maze and you have to walk the whole thing just to get out. The prices aren't that great except on a few select items. And you have to go around the moon to get upstairs and back down.

14. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Apr 16, 2012

Do you guys remember the cartoon "doug"? There is an episode where he goes to an Ikea with his sister, except they don't call it Ikea of course, but it has some Swedish name. They go through the maze of the store and end up in the forest in Sweden. lol.

Seriously though, while the stores do take you through their showrooms so you can see how different rooms would be set up, there are short cuts to get through. I figured that out after frequent trips to the bathroom last time I was there.

15. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Apr 16, 2012

I got a lot of stuff for my kitchen when I moved--I love my bars to hang utensils, pot lids, my spice rack, etc.! My kitchen isn't laid out the best, and those things made great use of otherwise wasted space on one whole wall. I also got my kitchen table from there--it has folding leaves on both sides and drawers in the middle, perfect for my small kitchen.

I love walking through all the rooms and getting ideas and just looking at things, but I can see how it would be annoying if you were just going in to get one thing. Since I'm not close to one, it's always a couple-hour adventure for me, so I enjoy browsing through the store. I make an annual trip in the summer to pick up magazine holders to use as book boxes for the next school year. (Can't beat $2 for a pack of 6--and with a piece or two of packing tape on the bottom, they make it through the year fairly well!) Thankfully, I have friends who live near them, so I've been able to make those trips when visiting them.

16. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Apr 16, 2012

I have the magazine boxes in my classroom in great bright colors, and an egg timer.
    Also, cheap wine glasses are terrific!

17. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Apr 16, 2012

I am another Ikea furniture hater. I do like their small stuff they keep on the first floor of the store. I've purchased some nice rugs and kitchen things at reasonable prices.

And, being a person who sews, I love their fabric too.