Tell me about yourself...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MsKatsScience, Jul 17, 2014.

1. MsKatsScience

MsKatsScience Rookie

Jul 17, 2014

I know I'm not the only one who abhors this question! I've got an interview tomorrow at a school I really want to teach at, and another next Tuesday at a school a few hours north of me, but it's in a great area. I've been wracking my brain for hours on all the interview questions listed here, and I think I've got most of them down. This is the only one I'm skeptical of. Would y'all tell me if this response is too long/wordy/awkward? The position is for middle school science.

I have always considered myself a scientist. I majored in Biology and explored Chemistry and Physics at Blah University, all the while falling in love with the pursuit of knowledge. About 3 years ago, I came to realize that teaching is a scientific discipline in its own right. You create lesson plans, enact them, fix lessons that aren't working, and try again. But unlike a lot of scientific practices, where you're only looking to expand your own knowledge, teaching allows us to expand the knowledge and understanding of others. I chose to enroll in a Post-Bac certification program so that I could do just that. My student teaching and subbing experiences were enlightening and fulfilling, and have left me ready to encourage even more young minds to love science.

Thanks in advance!

3. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 17, 2014

I know you wouldn't say the exact words and rehearse them but don't make it sound so robotic like an answer to an essay. Let your personality shine in your answer and talk in a manner that expresses that. I think the content is fine but a bit much. Talk about the non teacher side of you too!

4. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 17, 2014

To me, that answer explains why you want to teach, but it really doesn't tell them about you. When I answer that question, I give a brief rundown of my experience, mention my family ( I know not everyone says to do this, but my district wants to know you don't plan on going anywhere), and end with a hobby or two of mine.

5. MsKatsScience

MsKatsScience Rookie

Jul 17, 2014

Thanks for your responses! Looking over it, it does sound more like a why do you want to teach answer. I think I've managed to come up with a good response that's simple and far more accurate.

I'm a first year teacher, although I have been involved in the teaching field for a few years. I attended Blah University, where I majored in Biology, and continued on through their Post-Bac Certification program. I student taught at This Middle School, and I've substitute taught for various schools in that district for over a year now. I was born and raised in the area, and consider it home. Outside of teaching, I spend my time enjoying arts and crafts, which as it turns out can be very useful when developing ideas for teaching activities and projects.

6. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 17, 2014

I like it!

7. abat_jour

abat_jour Companion

Jul 17, 2014

career services professional told me you always know this will be asked and they make their mind up first 5 mins. so practices and use this guide: 1/3 what about you experiences made you want to be a teacher 1/3 teaching specific exp/student teaching 1/3 why you are a good fit for them. 90 seconds

8. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 18, 2014

Much better!

9. hep223

hep223 Companion

Jul 18, 2014

Thanks for posting this! I abhor this question as well!! I usually answer why I became a teacher, and mention that I am a mom of 4, but going to add in the hobbies as well!

I like your revised answer much better and I agree with Bunnie, we need to let our personality shine through.

10. hep223

hep223 Companion

Jul 18, 2014

Some of the other questions I have struggled to answer, just in case you want to practice them...
    1) What is one of your weaknesses?
    2) Why should we hire you?

11. joeboo22

joeboo22 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014

I read a career advise book (was in my friends car when we were driving so I started reading it) and it had some really good points to this question.

1. don't say your name, where you live, or that you are a teacher. They know that from your application and can assume you want the job if you are interviewing for it.

2. State your hobbies but make sure they aren't controversial. Going to weekly GOP meetings and watching Fox and Friends isn't going to help you much, and more then likely is going to hurt you.

3. Don't say why you want the job, (again you've applied for it) try to tie in a way on why you should get the job.

12. MsKatsScience

MsKatsScience Rookie

Jul 23, 2014

Thanks everyone for your input! I had my first interview (this year) yesterday, and just got the call that I got the job! A tiny district here in Southeast Texas that is one of the best in the area! :woot:

13. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 23, 2014

Congrats!