Tell me about yourself?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by AnnNorCal, Jun 17, 2013.

1. AnnNorCal

AnnNorCal Rookie

Jun 17, 2013

I have been lucky to get a few more interviews, including one for my dream job:) However, I never know what to say when they ask me to tell about myself? How much detail are interview panels looking for? How far back to go?

I want to improve my response since I know this question is often asked. Thanks!

3. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jun 17, 2013

I tell them where I'm from and then a few things about myself that I think set me apart from other people. Like I love to throw in I funded my own college education, was on my university swim team, studied abroad, worked at a high poverty level school, etc. Basically it's your time to brag about yourself and start a conversation. SO BRAG!!! :thumb:

4. Mrs.Giggles

Mrs.Giggles Companion

Jun 17, 2013

I always spoke about my educational background and work experience in regards to education. I spoke about the various tasks I performed in other jobs which would carry over to my teaching. I am a recent graduate, so I had not had much "classroom" experience yet. I also spoke about my passion for character education and how I planned on exploring that passion as a teacher.

At my last interview (the one that extended an offer to me), when my spiel was complete, the panel looked up at me and the principal said, "Wow! You just covered many of the answers to the subsequent questions."

5. kab164

kab164 Companion

Jun 17, 2013

I recently sat in on interviews for a new administrator. Most of the candidates talked about where they were from, their families, hobbies, etc. A few did come off as slightly cocky which was a turn off.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 17, 2013

I talk about my professional/educational background first. From there I go into personal information.

7. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Jun 17, 2013

I tell them my name, my experiences as a sub and as a student teacher this past year, and then a few things about my personal life. I'm trying to open a small business for invitations so I'll probably mention that since principals love hearing about other interests candidates are into which might incorporate in lessons. Stuff like that ;)

8. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jun 17, 2013

I usually start with personal information (to hook them, lol), married, 2 kids ages 5 and 2, and expecting a 3rd, where I live. Then I segue into where I'm teaching (since it's the school I also interned with, I input internship here), what I teach there, why I'm looking to change schools, and what I'm certified in.

9. My3kloves

My3kloves Rookie

Jun 17, 2013

I start where I graduated high school, where I went to college and why I majored in elem. Ed, then I cheered in college(it can be a topic starter), then where I first taught, where I went from there to where I am now and why I am interested in the certain position I am applying for.

10. gillianvt

gillianvt Rookie

Jun 18, 2013

I actually just finished writing a tell us about your self statement as I have a job interview for K tomorrow and wanted to be prepared. Here it is LMK what you think.

Tell us about yourself…

My teaching career began as a Peace Corps Volunteer in rural West Africa. It was that experience teaching English as a foreign language that made me realize that I wanted to be a teacher upon returning home.

As you can see from my resume I have 8 years of teaching experience in a variety of classrooms. All of my teaching positions have required me to lesson plan and diversify the curriculum to meet the needs of my individual students.

I recently went back to school to obtain my special education certification because I believe that the tools that I learned for special education are beneficial in any classroom including regular education classses. In my special ed. Coursework I had to align many of my lessons to the common core standards and become familiar with RTI.

Additionally, based on my experience and the job requirements for this role, I’d like to mention 2 personal attributes that I feel are most relevant for this position:
    The first is
    • My organizational skills in creating a center based curriculum
    In my previous prekindergarten and kindergarten classrooms I developed different learning centers on a daily basis that small groups of students would rotate through independently. In kindergarten this was the time that I implemented guided reading groups allowing me to individualize the reading curriculum based on skill level.

The second is
    • My effective communication skills with students and other teachers
    I believe that it is important to create an environment where the students feel comfortable expressing themselves and at the same time listen to the teacher and follow the class rules as appropriate. In many of my previous teaching experiences I have had the opportunity to work with assistant teachers who are integral in the classroom. I found that communication between the two teachers is essential to creating an optimum learning environment.