Tell me about your first day!

Discussion in 'High School' started by LLBeanie81, Aug 1, 2007.

1. LLBeanie81

LLBeanie81 Rookie

Aug 1, 2007

What was the first day like... being in front of the kids. I'm afraid I will freak out!

I will be starting a first year teaching position teaching physics (yipppeee!) at a local high school. I'm 26, female, and engineer - career changer, no teaching experience to be had.

Help! Thanks:help: :help:

3. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Aug 1, 2007

My first day was last Sept. I was scared to death, but VERY prepared. Of course as a first year teacher you can't really know everything you need to be prepared for. But because I had a plan, things went extremely well! I only had a few discipline problems that first day and I handled them instantly-so be on your toes, yet pretend to calm and in control no matter WHAT happens :) I think as a physics teacher, your students should be more mature than my 7th grade students ;) Just fake it til ya make it.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2007

That first day, there's a lot of administrative stuff to take care of. You have to set up your seating plan, collect whatever needs to be collected, tell them about supplies, lay out your expectations, and a million other things. I teach for about 15 minutes; many teachers don't teach at all on that day.

You can talk a bit that day about what Physics IS-- where and how it's used outside of the classroom. You can ask THEM to come up with examples once you get them started.

Have you done a good bit of lesson prep?

5. EngTeacher15

EngTeacher15 Companion

Aug 1, 2007

My first day as a first year teacher was a little over a year ago, but I don't remember it much. We only have a 1/2 day with students on the first day, so things go VERY quickly. I'm not even sure that I got to go over the syllabus with them. I think I made them fill out informational note cards (which I'm not going to do this year) and then they took a True/False quiz about me to get to know me a little bit, too.

I was nervous, but I don't think they knew it. Remember that they are nervous too. I put a smile on my face, and acted like I was the only person in that room that would ever be in charge.

I also make them say my name out loud together (because it's kind of hard to say and I hate when people mispronounce it).:p

6. Miss L

Miss L Rookie

Aug 2, 2007

wondering

what types of questions were on your T/F quiz about yourself? that might be a good idea!

7. EngTeacher15

EngTeacher15 Companion

Aug 2, 2007

Some of the questions were:

Justin Timberlake is my favorite celebrity. (TRUE) :)
    I despise ketchup. (TRUE)
    I love the smell of fresh laundry. (TRUE)
    I am an only child. (FALSE)
    When I was born, the doctors told my parents not to expect me to live. (TRUE)
    I have a black belt in karate. (FALSE)
    I didn't learn to tie my shoes until I was in 3rd grade. (TRUE)
    I only have four toes on my left foot. (FALSE)

I think I had about 20 questions, but I don't remember all of them right now! THE KIDS LOVED IT! :lol:

8. Miss L

Miss L Rookie

Aug 2, 2007

wow, those are really great for your students to get to know YOU! I think sometimes they get caught up thinking you sleep at school and don't have a past/life of your own, you know?

The one about your parents being told to not expect you to live broke my heart! Look at you now! :)

Great idea...I might have to steal that for my future classes....:up: :thanks:

9. EngTeacher15

EngTeacher15 Companion

Aug 2, 2007

Thanks! Last trimester of last year a student said "Uh...this is great and all, but aren't you supposed to be getting to know us?" It was funny...I do have them write me a one page autobiography for me to get to know them, but last year I did the quiz about me first. I think it's important that they get to know me as a person and not just as their teacher. I joke with them when I hand it out and I tell them that this is for a grade. When we go over the answers, almost every student is volunteering to guess if it's true or false. It's a lot of fun! I think this year I might bring in pictures for all the true ones (if I can find ones to go with them!)

10. trulyblssd

trulyblssd Companion

Aug 2, 2007

I did the T/F quiz last year and it was great. The students love it and they never let me live down the fact that I drink tea w/out sugar! LOL