tell me about your child

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by jaszmyn, Aug 14, 2005.

1. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Aug 14, 2005

The first day of school is tommorrow! As parents are lingering around in the room, I would like for them to have something to do. So I was going to create a tell me about your child sheet--with just general questions about their child's interest and learning behaviors.

What questions should i include.

I would appreciatte all suggestions! The clock is ticking.

3. Margo

Margo Devotee

Aug 14, 2005

Why do you want parents lingering around the room? We always try to get parents out as quick as possible the first day to make separation easier for both parent and child. When the parents dropped them off at the door, I always tell them to say their goodbyes and let the child start their kindergarten experience. Some are easier to leave then others but always within about 10 minutes.

4. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Aug 14, 2005

Well I don't want parents lingering around, But they may do it anyway! so I want to be prepared and keep them busy with something useful. You must have mis understood my ?

5. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 14, 2005

Well, for the entire first week of school, I meet my classes outside on the front sidewalk of the building and STRONGLY discourage anyone from joining us as we walk into the building. I tell parents it's so that any sad goodbyes happen out of the classroom, and the kids don't grow to associate the classroom with negative experiences. While that's part of it, the real reason is that once those parents get into the building, it's almost impossible to get them to leave!

But a form is a great idea...I'd send it home with the families to fill out and return if you aren't stuck with lingering parents. I'd ask about interests, abilities, weaknesses. I'd also ask about medical conditions and allergies - but because of HIPPA, I'd make a note about that portion that says something like "please share any of your child's medical history that may be relevant and important for me to know." I'd also ask about toileting habits - you'd be amazed at how many kids I get whose parents expect me to wipe them after going to the bathroom.

We do have such a form that we use...we meet each family individiually during the first three days of school instead of holding classes. The district has us complete a questionaire with each family. The categories are:
    Interests/Skills/Weaknesses (there's also a question here about fears...)
    Development (when did they walk, talk, etc. Have they ever been assessed for special ed needs or receive services)
    Independent habits (toileting, zipping, shoe-tying, unpacking own backpack, self feeding, etc)
    Family circumstances (who lives in home, siblings and ages, any recent disruptions, like birth of a sibling or a move)

Kim

6. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 14, 2005

I actually give the parents a letter at open house before school starts that is all about adjusting to Kindergarten and crying. In it I state that it is important to say goodbye, reassure the child they will be back to pick them up.....and THEN LEAVE! It makes it so much worse for all involved if they linger and the child is crying! I've found this works great and parents have really heeded my advice. I do send home a sheet like Kim mentioned for parents to fill out at home. I have pretty much the same info as she already mentioned.

7. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Aug 14, 2005

I gave an open ended sheet to the parents to complete at home - You'll get more thoughtful answers that way. I think mine was simple, like tell me about your child (strengths, weaknesses, allergies, etc.) I can't remember the exact wording... but a lot like what everyone else has mentioned. The problem with giving the parents something to do while they are there is that it may encourage them to stay longer. The time they do spend in the room will be enjoying the moment then saying goodbye. For some it will be spent peeling the child off of their leg or listening to their child cry like there's no tomorrow... As soon as mom or dad is out the door, 9 out of 10 times the child calms down and gets into the activity you have prepared for them. I always had a color sheet saying "Welcome to Kindergarten" with plenty of crayons in the middle of each table. Other teachers have put out playdough on each table for children to work with. Sometimes that's enough to get the relunctant kids interested and start to relax and talk with their new friends. :love:

8. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 14, 2005

Sometimes I wish I'd video tape the children after the parents leave.......I swear, sometimes they just don't believe it when you tell them they were fine! One of these years, I may just have to do that! :p

9. becky

becky Enthusiast

Aug 14, 2005

You know, leave quickly stuff was never needed with my Jeannie. Before I would take her somewhere, say church, I would explain how things would go, where I would be, etc. Plus I always kept my word to her and returned when I said I would, if not a few seconds earlier. I actually showed her on the clock when I would be back.

She was 4 months when I first put her in the nursery at church, and it so happened the woman doing nursery that week was one of those who would expect the parent to make a hasty retreat. She took Jeannie from me before I could kiss her goodbye, and as a result Jeannie cried the whole hour. I was a SS teacher then, and unfortunately I left her there to teach my class.

I think parents need to do more of this kind of preparing their kids, then teachers wouldn't have to hustle the parents out. It is hard on the kids, too, I think. As a 3&4 yr olds teacher it made me sad to see parents shove the kids into the room then dash when the child's back was turned.
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I see this whole thing as something parents could have avoided.

10. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Aug 14, 2005

Like you, becky, I think many parents have prepared for goodbyes. I only have a few each year that have trouble at all... Maybe 1 or 2, or sometimes none, that have trouble later in the day. I don't rush parents who are obviously handling the situation appropriately. In fact, I don't 'rush' the kids and parents who are in tears (sometimes the kid is fine and it's the parent that's crying!) I make sure they say their goodbyes, but overstaying that makes things harder. It's all about timing. I don't think it's ever a good idea to shove a kid in the room then leave when their back is turned. That makes it really scary for the child, and they lose trust which makes it even harder to drop them off the next time! :love: I know I would have been terrified if my mom did that. In fact, I just had a flashback... I think that did happen to me when I was little! :eek:

11. becky

becky Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2005

Long story short, growing up I was left with babysitters a lot and whoever was to pick me up seemed to forget to come back. Sometimes I got the treatment of turning around and whoever brought me was gone. It is disturbing to a child and that's why I never did that to my kids.

I didn't mean to come off like a perfect parent or anything! Between what I grew up with and what I saw in all the years I served in Children's ministries at my church, it just makes me pity the little ones.

12. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2005

I agree with Amanda...while everyone needs time to say goodbye, and no one should be encouraged (or allowed!) to sneak out without a proper goodbye, there are those parents who don't know when to leave. Or who just, simply, don't want to leave.

I've already run into one parent (socially, at a mom's night out with a friend and her mom's group) who asked me how many days she'd be allowed to stay in the classroom with her son. The answer is NONE! She said that she "had" to stay the entire year, every day, all day last year at preschool, and if she didn't, awful things would have happened...I think it is more her fears that she's speaking of, not her son's.
    Kim

13. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 15, 2005

I would not condone a parent sneaking out without saying goodybye. That is why my letter has come in so handy......i tell them to say good bye and to reassure the child THEY WILL BE BACK! Sneaking off only leaves the child worried all day and that isn't effective for anyone. I just like it to be matter of fact, short and sweet. The longer it drags out, the more chances there are for tears, clinging, and long, drawn out goodbyes(on both sides). I don't think that helps anyone! And I agree with becky, parents that prepare their child have such a smoother experience.....I hope my letter helps them to do that. I haven't had a crier for two years, and I'm hoping this year will be no tears as well! :)

14. karlyn

karlyn Rookie

Aug 15, 2005

I think that's an excellent idea! Since your class started today, I wonder how it turned out for you?

15. themouse15@msn.

themouse15@msn. Rookie

Aug 15, 2005

saying goodbye

I always allow the parents to come in the first couple of days, but what i do to get them to leave is when we are sitting on the carpet for our morning routine we talk a little bit about what is going to happen today and we will then read a story. I will then tell the kids to blow a kiss to their parents and wave goodbye..I don't allow the parents to sit with their child for story... just allow the parents to be seen by the child from a distance. Usually when we blow a kiss and wave goodbye the kids are feeling better and more comfortable because they know what is going to happen during the day. They and the parents are, for the most part, okay when the parents leave.