Tell me about social stories

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Upsadaisy, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 4, 2012

If you write your own, do you write one for a specific student with that student as the main character? How do you present the issue(s)?

Let's say it's an issue like making choices (vs. tantrumming to get your own way). What could be done with that?

Thanks in advance.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 4, 2012

We write our own for a specific student. Sometimes we use the student as the main character, sometimes not. It depends on the student.

Will your student like to see himself/herself as the main character? Or would your student like to see someone else as the main character.

When I write one with a student (sixth grade), I usually begin by talking about the behavior with the student. So for accepting choices made...I might start by talking to the student about a choice that needs to be made. Then I would talk to the student about accepting the choice and what this looks like. We would also talk about what it doesn't look like. Then we discuss both positive consequences and negative consequences.

Then we would create the social story to show a choice needing to be made. What happens when the choice isn't accepted with the consequences and what happens when the choice is accepted with the consequences.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 4, 2012

That makes sense. My situation is that I am starting with a 7 year old student one-on-one tomorrow for 4 hours (mornings). I am subbing for his regular teacher but may continue with him after next week as well. Problem number one: I haven't met him yet. Problem number two: I don't think he even knows his regular teacher will be out (called away suddenly for a funeral). So, this could be very troublesome to the student. I have been filled in on his behaviors, but I'm trying to anticipate how to handle things with him.

5. LovetoteachPREK

LovetoteachPREK Companion

Mar 4, 2012

I love social stories. I have only used them with preschoolers. Often, even though the story was for one particular student, I would read it to the whole class. But I had one student who really struggled with behaviors, and I would read a story to him every morning about not hurting others, etc.

Power Point is a great program to use - just use each slide as a page and then print it out. Make it very basic.

Here's an example of how I would write it.

Mrs. (old teacher) is my teacher.
    Sometimes Mrs. (old teacher) can't be here.
    When that happens, Mrs. (new teacher) will help me.
    When Mrs. (new teacher) is here, I still need to follow the rules.
    (Then put some specific rules he needs to follow - keep it in the positive.)

You can also google social stories and get lots of examples that way too. I have used real pictures of the student and I have used Boardmaker pics. I mostly used the Boardmaker clips or clip art because otherwise they get very time-consuming. Good luck!

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 4, 2012

Thank you so much. I did write one of my own that is somewhat like your suggestion. Now, I feel better. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

Oh, how do you get Boardmaker clips? Are they free to use or only if you have that program?

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 4, 2012

You need to have Boardmaker to use their pictures, I believe. However, you can always have the student draw pictures.

8. bethechange

bethechange Comrade

Mar 4, 2012

You can also get a 30 day free trial from the Boardmaker website.

Sometimes I just use google images and the microsoft snipping tool.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 6, 2012

Thank you, everyone. Well, I prepared a bunch of stuff, and I worked with him on Monday. Turns out, though, that this wasn't the kind of tutoring I really am best at. I have utmost respect for those of you who do this job. It's not where my strengths lie, though, so I am going to wait for another student. One is in the process of registering, and I am supposed to be assigned to work with him. This was a good learning experience for me - and the student was very adorable.

10. lovebeingteach

lovebeingteach Companion

Mar 10, 2012

I can tell you one thing about social stories....some kids love them, and some kids hate them. It takes a lot of time to make them, so try one out with a student before you assume it will work. I made a social story for a higher functioning student. He threw it at me and said it was "Very stupid." lol