Tell me about second graders

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by MissFroggy, Jun 7, 2008.

1. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jun 7, 2008

There is a similar post on the third grade board. I have taught 3, 4, and 5th graders... and gifted 2nd.

So I will need a bit of help!

What kind of books do they read at the beginning of the year?

How long should I expect independent reading to last at the beginning of the year?

How many sentences are they writing at the beginning of the year?

Can they do a long term project- like an integrated unit that you sustain for a month or two?? Or do they get bored and want to move on to something new?

How are they socially? What kinds of things do the girls play during recess or free time? What about boys?

THANKS!

3. AngelM

AngelM Rookie

Jun 7, 2008

At the beginning of the year, my second graders were as varied as they come. Some were already reading chapter books and others were reading first-grade level picture books (e.g., Clifford, Franklin). I had some that would read independently as long as you would let them and some that, even by the end of the year, were not into independent reading (no matter how hard I tried!!). The same was true for writing.

I didn't do any projects with them that lasted as long as a month, but I did do some that spanned over maybe a couple of weeks. They did fine with that.

As far as recess goes, my girls loved to draw, write, stamp, color, etc. I had gotten all of these indoor games/toys for cold/rainy/winter days, and they would always end up drawing. The boys were really into some of the stacking, connecting block/cube sets (building). They also liked to play checkers, card games, and Battleship.

4. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 7, 2008

your welcomed...good luck

don't forget...visit the library!

5. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jun 7, 2008

I totally love 2nd grade. They still love their teacher. They still want to learn. They get excited about learning.

You'll love 2nd grade!

6. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jun 10, 2008

With the writing- I take the "higher" 2nd graders each year and we still have to work on writing juicy sentences to make the transition to paragraphs by November.

7. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jun 10, 2008

I use homemade whisper phones to help with the reading aloud. It helps them to learn what it means to read silently.

8. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jun 18, 2008

You can do long term units...but not big projects.
    My longest project is when they create their own Powerpoint on a social studies unit.

An average 2nd grader can write 3 good sentences.

I have silent reading time for 15 minutes 1st quarter,
    20 minutes 2nd
    25 min 3rd
    30 minutes 4th quarter.

9. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jun 18, 2008

I truly believe that if a 2nd grader can write 3 to 5 sentences and a paragraph in September you have a dream come true second grader! Also, a 2 month long project is much too long. If you do this for all of your units you will never complete your curriculum, especially in social studies and science. My goal is to hit the high points of each unit and then do little mini units. I feel in second grade you are wetting their appetites for things to come.

10. mrs a

mrs a Companion

Jun 19, 2008

One more thing...they are starting to be completely self-concious. They look to you for acceptance and approval and get their feelings hurt very easily by friends. They often will not raise their hands for help in fear that a cool classmate will notice. Positive interaction helps. They still want to please everyone and are kind at heart.

11. MsWilks13

MsWilks13 Rookie

Jun 24, 2008

moving to 2nd

This is great info! Thanks to everyone!;)

Sounds much like my first graders, except I think I'll enjoy the fact that they are more independent. I don't expect to hear as much tattling as I did last year either. That drove me bonkers!

12. mrs a

mrs a Companion

Jun 24, 2008

hahahaha...they still tattle. Get a tattle jar and tell them you only except complete sentences with correct punctuation.

13. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 26, 2008

Oh, don't start with that!

If it's not about you, I don't want to know!

If there is no blood, I don't want to know.

Does this story have your name in it?

Why does this concern you?

Tattlers are junkies for attention. They want to see others get in trouble because they get a rush from seeing you get mad and punishing them. Weird! I had one that drove me up a wall! Don't even want to think about it anymore!

They are really bad when they tattle on teachers and you too! They have no fear. Some 'well-meaning' parent or teacher said they should speak their mind. :( They will be victim of bullies very early in life. Usually, they can't fight...go figure! They sit and cry and wait for you to rescue them because ...you guessed it...

more attention!

14. MsWilks13

MsWilks13 Rookie

Jun 26, 2008

Now I don't feel so bad to hear that other teachers say these...:lol:

15. sherri0318

sherri0318 Rookie

Jun 26, 2008

for my tattlers, after trying everything under the sun and moon to get them to stop, I finally ended the year with simply saying, "ok, thank you" everytime someone tattled........I figure they were going to continue to tattle regardless of how many times I said "we don't tattle" etc, so instead of continuing to explain to them the who what's and how's of tattling, I made it simple with "ok, thank you"....I found myself giggling on the inside at how simple it was - they took my response as if I'd actually done something about it.....lol

16. Chevygirl97

Chevygirl97 Companion

Jun 27, 2008

I did the "ok, thanks!" too!!! What drove me crazy was the constant interrupting no matter what I was doing so..when I'm with groups/a student who needs help/an adult/etc:

I have a 3 "b"s rule: "Are you bleeding? Have a broken bone? Need to barf? No? Okay, then...'bye!!"

It got to the point where all I would have to do is look and hold up 3 fingers & they would shake their head & go back to their seats.

17. MsWilks13

MsWilks13 Rookie

Jun 27, 2008

Yep. If your method is consistent, then they will stop.

18. sherri0318

sherri0318 Rookie

Jun 27, 2008

LOL - sounds like me - but then I got a new student who went home and told her mom that she was only allowed to raise her hand if she had to throw up......lol......her mom called the PRINCIPAL and he had a little chat with me about how we don't say "throw up".....he said it was disgusting.....I don't know what OTHER word wouldn't be disgusting - quite frankly any word associated with that act makes me want to BARF......rofl.....anyway, I had to find another way of saying "the 3 b's".....so I finally came up with: if you interrupt me during groups I'm taking 5 minutes off recess.......boy, did THAT do the trick! All I'd have to do was look at my clipboard where I marked down recess deductions and they'd stop in their tracks and turn around......:2up:

19. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2008

It's also a problem in pre-k or Head Start, because parents are in an out, and usually lingering (spying). So when a child screams, "Look at what he is doing!!" They are waiting to see what you do. they are completely unaware of this child's tattling habit, and they accuse you of not reacting promptly (what if it was MY child?), or worse, they jump in, and take over, and give the tattler that wanted attention - when you don't. :|

20. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 5, 2008

Well... at one point and time, I had a second-grader in my internship class write a 10-page story! When one of my fourth-graders from last year's class was in 2nd grade, too, she could write at least a page in 30 minutes.

A second-grader starts off with 3-5 sentences and should certainly have 5-10 required sentences in a journal entry by the end of the year, depending on the ability of the student.

21. MissErin

MissErin Comrade

Jul 7, 2008

In my second grade ST, it was FULL to the brim of tattlers. Drove me COMPLETELY crazy! I read about this somewhere online- but I created a bug box. They would write down when someone "bugged" them- there was supposed to be a procedure like you had to write your name and what you did as well. This actually worked! At first, the box was completely filled, and by the next week there were just a few tattles in the bug box. I actually got a ton of laughs when I was reading all the bug tattles.

Only suggestion to that- at first it takes up a lot of class time to write them. So maybe designate a time to write them- before recess or before the very end of the day. That would cut down the tattling even more I bet.

Kids just love tattling.... I probably did too when I was that age!

22. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2008

and grownups...nothing worse than a grown person who loves to tattle. Snitch, trick off...whatever they call it. They are on the side of the law. Right to the very end. Will go back and give cashier the penny they owed. yeah, that was me, and the goofy kid couldn't figure it out, since I had a quarter. they want what is right, and will go out of their way to make sure everyone follows the rules.

usually, one in every group! :crosseyed