Tell me about Montessori teaching

Discussion in 'Montessori' started by alifoo, Oct 16, 2012.

1. alifoo

alifoo Rookie

Oct 16, 2012

I went to school for education and worked in public middle schools for the past two years, and I'm really not sure I have an interest in staying involved in the public education system. The more I research Montessori education, the more I think I would like becoming involved with it. I have an appointment to go observe a Montessori school next week.
    How does one become certified to teach at a Montessori school?
    I would want to teach upper elementary or middle school. What does the Montessori concept look like at that age level? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

3. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Oct 17, 2012

Every school looks a little different, and it's good that you're going to observe in a Montessori school. I hope you love it! :)

In order to teach at a Montessori school, you have to become certified by a Montessori training program. Some schools require a state teaching license in addition to the Montessori certification, but it sounds like you already have the state certification. Here in Cincinnati, there's a University that will allow you to get your masters in Montessori.

I would look at the American Montessori Society's webpage. Here's a link to their page that talks about how to become a Montessori teacher:

http://www.amshq.org/Teacher Resources/Become an AMS Montessori Teacher or Administrator.aspx

I've been a Montessori teacher for 26 years now, working with 3-6 yr olds. I love it. I love what it did for my son, who's now in the 7th grade in a public school. As far as middle school training, I would look at this website:

http://cmstep.com/

It's a local training program that trains middle school teachers, or the 12-15 and possibly high school as well. I don't really know how high it goes, but i know they have a great training program.

Good luck! I've always believed Montessori is much better in so many ways. If you have any questions, feel free to let me know!