Tell me about a time you failed...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ahodge79, Jul 8, 2014.

1. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Jul 8, 2014

besides failing to find a job, I'm really stumped! I got asked this today and didn't give a very good answer but I want to be prepared for next time. I know that I make little mistakes and there times things don't work out, but nothing yet jumping out that makes for a good story.

Do you have an example that might inspire me?

Thanks!

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 8, 2014

I don't think they are necessarily looking for a big failure, but at how you responded to the failure. This question is more about how you reflect as a teacher.

4. My3kloves

My3kloves Rookie

Jul 8, 2014

I was asked this. I gave an example of a failed lesson and how I adapted it into something better.

I did a cooking activity with my kinder class and we made puppy chow. But I forgot to do a step in the directions and when we were done making it, it was soooo mushy and gross. It wasn't dry puppy chow at all. So I told my students that there is 2 different types of dog food. Dry dog food and canned. So we pretended to eat canned mushy dog food. The kids loved it. Lol

5. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jul 9, 2014

This. When I sit on the hiring committee we are looking more for your reflection and analysis of why things didn't go well and how you'd improve next time.

6. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 9, 2014

It's also a way to get a feel for the teacher candidate...Are you able to handle failures with grace? Do you recognize your own failures? Do you turn them into a learning experience? Do you take accountability for student progress? etc...those types of things...You need to use your experiences from student teaching if this is your first teaching year.

7. eternalsunshine

eternalsunshine Rookie

Jul 10, 2014

I put an example of a lesson that didn't go so well in my teacher portfolio that I carry with me to interviews. When they ask me this type of question I ask if it is okay to show them an example and I will pull it out and explain why it didn't go well and then show them what changes I made to improve on it. Then I quickly talk about how the kids responded.