Tell me about 6 trait writing

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by ~Nicole, Jun 13, 2007.

1. ~Nicole

~Nicole Comrade

Jun 13, 2007

I've had some framework training in a pd weekend last year. I'm interviewing for a 2nd grade position on Friday and the district uses 6 trait. Whar are some of the key points or reasons for using the curriculum?

3. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 14, 2007

The 6 Traits of writing are just that, characteristics of writing and how it is developed. Every author, published or not, shows strength in these characteristics (or not) to varying degrees. The easiest way for me to explain is that the traits and how the author uses them define their writing personality. Mark Twain's writing personality is quite different than say Charles Dickens's or Emily Bronte's. As educators we are trying to help students develop these traits for the purpose of letting their personality shine. It takes time and lots of practice, but you can really see a difference over time.

Some key points? Jeeze, I don't know. Most important is to work on the traits together/alone. You can't just teach one and only one trait. Whether you teach Voice or not on this piece, the trait will still show up in the students' writings. You can't avoid that. But you can focus on one or maybe two traits while trying to remind them of the others. You can not forget about Conventions just because your focus is Idea.

Hope this helps even just a little.

4. natjoejag

natjoejag Companion

Jun 14, 2007

6 Traits is not the actual writing process.

5. TXTeacher4

TXTeacher4 Companion

Jun 14, 2007

The 6 traits are: ideas, organization, word choice, sentence fluency, conventions, and voice. It is not a process, but more of areas to focus on in order to create fantastic writing pieces. If you want specific information on each of the traits or sample activities, PM me and I will help as much as I can.

6. lnewbigging

lnewbigging Companion

7. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 16, 2007

There really isn't a set curriculum for 6 Traits that I'm aware of, but there are all sorts of resources available. Ruth Cullum (Cullem?) is generally credited with authoring the program and resource books for teachers initially.

8. ~Nicole

~Nicole Comrade

Jun 19, 2007

but why teach 6 traits over something else. What edge does 6 trait give to the writing process?

9. imalith

imalith Rookie

Jun 19, 2007

traits

Most writing programs focus on organization and they become too formulaic. Transitions are stilted. First, Then, Next...followed by an idea sentence, elaboration sentence and more detailed elaboration sentence. Real writing disappears and becomes an algorithm with no art or craft.

I choose to blend my instruction with 6 traits to focus on what really good writing can become. When I grade student writing I focus on the traits by using a rubric that contains the traits. I also use it in the revision stage by having students analyze paragraphs by writing first word, number of words, verb. This checks sentence fluency and word choice

Last edited: Jun 19, 2007
  10. Becca

Becca New Member

Jun 19, 2007

I am a fourth grade teacher this year and have focused instruction on the six writing traits because the state I teach in actually has writing tests for fourth, seventh, and tenth graders where the students are scored in the six traits. It has been fun teaching lessons on the six traits and it has really helped my students develop their writing much more than the typical instruction that is formulated. Some great books that I have found and used this year are; the first is published by scholastic and they have an intermediate and a primary guide to teaching the six traits of writing. Then another one is Trait Based mini lesson for teaching writing Grades 2-4 by Megan S. Sloan. I have used the lessons right out of this book and for each lesson she also gives examples of the trait in children's books that you can share with the class or have them read. It really helps the students begin to see what the trait really is. It is presented in a fun and easy manner that is really easy to use and adapt to your classroom.