Tell during the interview or only if hired?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by inspireNteach, Jul 17, 2013.

1. inspireNteach

inspireNteach Rookie

Jul 17, 2013

I'm an Army Reservist and have my two-week training in August. I also just got an interview :)woot:!!) for Monday morning.

I'm wondering if I should tell them about my training in the interview or if they offer me the job. It's illegal for them to deny me a job offer because of military training and I'm sure they know that. But I think they may think up some other reason not to hire me if they find out I have to be away for two weeks...then again, I don't want to be deceptive and only bring it up when I'm already in the clear and hired, like, "Oh, by the way...:whistle:"

What would you do??

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2013

If you think they might not hire you because of it, then don't tell them until you're hired.

4. inspireNteach

inspireNteach Rookie

Jul 17, 2013

Isn't it a little deceiving, though? What if they're like, "Why didn't you say anything sooner?"
    Isn't it the same as hiding a pregnancy or something else that requires leave?

I don't want to be at a school where the principal's mad at me because I hid something from him. I could risk being blackballed by the school, or, worse, the district.

Then again, I don't want to kiss my shot at this job goodbye.

5. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 17, 2013

I know someone in your position who decided not to tell until after she was hired. She has a strong personality and knows her rights. I got the sense my P was a little peeved at first, but it was over quickly. I would not tell anyone, even though I agree it's a little sneaky.

6. seagrape

seagrape Rookie

Jul 17, 2013

If they ask about your availability, I would tell them.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2013

If you don't like the idea of not telling, then tell. You asked for opinions, and that's mine: Don't tell until you are hired. I give the same advice to pregnant women as well. Never give them a reason NOT to hire you.

8. inspireNteach

inspireNteach Rookie

Jul 17, 2013

All good points. Thanks everyone.

9. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Jul 18, 2013

I wouldn't tell them unless you are officially hired. It would be illegal for them to not allow you to go to training for two weeks. I believe it's a military requirement so they can't say no or fire you. Keep quiet until you sign a contract! Good luck...and thanks for your service!

10. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jul 18, 2013

I agree with everyone saying don't tell. You don't have a reason to tell them, you are only interviewing for the position. They aren't going to ask you about availability specifics--they might ask you do you stay after for conferences, would you be willing to stay after and coach/organize a club, etc, but they are NOT going to ask you--"do you think there's any chance you will have military training, a medical emergency, or some other personal emergency in August." They are, just going to assume you will be there. If they like you enough to offer you the job, THEN you tell them. They can't rescind your job offer because of military training but they can find someone else a "better" fit for their school during the interviewing stages...

11. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2013

I'm confused. Isn't your work in the Army Reserve on your resume? If it is, I don't know a principal who wouldn't be aware of the commitments you have. If it isn't on your resume, it seems a bit like you are hiding something, not proud of it.

12. inspireNteach

inspireNteach Rookie

Jul 19, 2013

Yes, it is on my resume.