Teeny Tiny Summer

Discussion in 'General Education' started by msmullenjr, Dec 29, 2009.

1. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Dec 29, 2009

So, my district decided that we need to bump our school year earlier. We used to go back after Labor Day, we are starting back on Aug 11th. Our last day for this year is June 24th!!!! WTH? Could we have not inched our way over there instead of jumping? There goes my annual beach trip. :(

3. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Dec 29, 2009

That's like 6 1/2 weeks! Too short, yes, but I think you should try ot stick your beach trip in there anyway.

4. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Dec 29, 2009

That just plain stinks! I hope you find a way to stick in your beach trip still. This might be a summer you need it even more than others with such a short summer break.

5. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Dec 29, 2009

Our school began this year on August 1st. Teachers have to report back around July 24th next year (I'm not 100% sure of the date). I like getting out in May, but it sure is hot on recess duty during August!

6. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Dec 29, 2009

The air conditioning bill will be outrageous.

As for the beach trip, we can't go any earlier because of a wedding in July. No one else can get off again in the same month. I'm so sad. I will try to have a few fun weekends with my SO and kids. It won't be the whole family but its only one summer I guess.:(

7. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 29, 2009

That stinks! When do you get out the next year after starting on the 11th?

8. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Dec 29, 2009

My old district did the same thing... I don't know why. Can someone explain why so many districts are doing that?

9. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 30, 2009

I work at a school with a modified school year. We get out on June 30th and the students return on Aug. 18 (we go back the week before them). I like it b/c we get a longer Thanksgiving break, Christmas break and Spring Break.

10. wrice

wrice Habitué

Dec 30, 2009

yikes! no no! in around Aug 15th, out by Memorial day in May, 2.5 weeks for Christmas, 1 week Spring Break.

TX is 180 days, do you have to go for more? Sorry if you do!

11. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Dec 30, 2009

I am under the impression there is a move away from this "agrarian" schedule to something that will allow for more learning time. I suspect there will eventually be year-round schooling.

Make it all about test scores and this is what you get! :whistle:

12. Simba

Simba Comrade

Dec 30, 2009

Ohio wants to add 20 more school days per year...Oh and try to save more money...I don't understand it either.

Many districts here are slowly adding 2 extra days per year.

13. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Dec 30, 2009

Wow, that's a short summer break.

As far as the why, I assume testing reasons. If your standardized tests are in April, the earlier you go back, the more time you have that year to prep your students.

14. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Dec 30, 2009

Is there a pay raise attached to this???

15. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Dec 30, 2009

I could not work in an area that did not get out by the end of May because of my summer job. It's sad to so many students go to school until the end of June, because they miss out on awesome enrichment opportunities like the program I work for. We get out the last week of May, and I'm not sure when we'll go back yet. They haven't voted on the calendar.

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2009

End of May/ end of June reallly is a regional thing.

Around here, most schools end in mid to late June-- but very few go back before Labor Day. Those same enrichment opportunities exist, but on a later schedule than in many of the Southern schools that follow an earlier calendar.

Our last day of exams is June 15. Teachers will have to be back on August 31, though my school always starts a week earlier than other schools to run our freshman orientation program.

17. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 30, 2009

I remember one year when my children's school district went from a regular calendar to a year round calendar. The track we were assigned began one week after the other school year ended. Talk about a short summer vacation!

18. janlee

janlee Devotee

Dec 30, 2009

If your district has decided to start so much earlier won't this impact students who participate in sports and other school related activities that involve participation with other schools? Doesn't your union have a say in a change such as this? Aren't parents complaining to your Board of Education? This would never fly within my district and there would be a tremendous uproar. Many high school students use those weeks in August to visit colleges and those are the busiest weeks for earning extra money at summer jobs.

19. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 30, 2009

Our state has a "law" no starting until after Labor day. Also the schools are done by so many hours. The district I taught at starts after Labor Day & gets out before Memorial day (if snow days or others don't throw a wrench into it). They started going 20 mins extra every day to get this schedule. Most of the other schools get out early to mid June.

20. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Dec 30, 2009

They messed around with our calendar this year. We started August 4th and get out June 4th.

But... we teach 180 but work 190+ with teacher days and such.

I'd rather just go to year round instead of the "hint of summer" they are trying to get us to.

Kelly :)

21. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 30, 2009

I would think the number of school days or hours teaching would remain the same... I would check my contract to see what it states in relation to teaching days or teaching hours....

22. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Dec 30, 2009

Are the kids offered summer school there? It's bad for teachers and I sympathize with you but if a kid attends summer school it seems like they would only have 2 or 3 weeks vacation themselves.

I also would like to know why they think this is necessary? Did they give the teachers a reason?

23. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Dec 30, 2009

This will be the second year of no summer school for Elementary. I'm actually not sure if the High schools do summer school (my kids are 9 and 12). We will get out in May that year so our work year will be the same. It is because of testing. We test in May, the first week.

24. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Dec 30, 2009

I thought CA was out of money for their schools and cutting back! This means more paychecks for you guys.

25. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Dec 30, 2009

This is true. Our last day is June 10th and we teachers also return on August 31st with students returning after Labor Day. ( In the upper midwest anyway) One of my paras was telling me that California has school year round. I know from this forum that this is not the case. I am sure there are some districts that have such a schedule, but not all, am I right?

26. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Dec 30, 2009

No the school year is still 180 days its just earlier.

27. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Dec 30, 2009

Some schools around me are year round, others are modified traditional, and there are still some traditional. All within a close distance too.

28. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Dec 30, 2009

We're out by Memorial Day and in the first week of August. I hate it.

29. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Dec 30, 2009

Diznee I heard they are trying to change that back to where we could start before Labor Day! I like starting after Labor Day, and we still get out first week in June.

30. MollyT

MollyT Companion

Jan 1, 2010

I live in Australia so to me 6 weeks holiday over summer is normal.

We have 4 terms of 10 weeks each with a break after each one.

WE have 2 weeks holidays in April, July and October, then 6 weeks Dec/Jan, starting just before Christmas.

The new school year starts end of Jan/beginnning of Feb.

Each state is slightly different but thats basically it.

We don't have summer school or camps for kids - never have.

So to me, a longer summer holiday would be amazing!

31. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jan 2, 2010

Well I only get one week in Nov, one week in April, and two weeks in Dec. My summers mean a lot to me. That is when I unwind. It gives me the energy to WANT to go back to work in September (on my bad AUGUST).

32. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 2, 2010

Florida tried to move the school year back to the first week of August. We lost a TON of days to hurricaine threats that year. They've moved it back up to mid-August, but I still think it would be better off in September. At least they moved it back a little.