Teens and their Skin!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by kcjo13, May 2, 2014.

1. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 2, 2014

My daughter is 13, and you know what that means...acne. Ugh!

We had a good routine down that was taking care of the occasional zit, but lately it has gotten much worse. She has used several OTC brands, made for teens, but they just aren't working.

Has anyone had experience with Proactiv? Or more specifically, X-Out, which is made by the Proactiv folks for teens? It's quite expensive, and I don't want it to hurt her skin. I have read that it can burn.

Anyone have experience, or with something better?

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 2, 2014

I only used oatmeal soap on my face.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 2, 2014

I have used Proactiv, but not X-Out. I found that Proactiv worked just as well as using a combination of Noxema and a good quality moisturizer. For me, remembering to moisturize is key when it comes to preventing blemishes and breakouts.

Have you considered talking with her doctor about getting a prescription acne medication for her? Some types of acne are hormonal and all the topical treatments in the world won't fix them.

5. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 2, 2014

Not yet, because she is "that" age, with all the fun that comes along. She has really oily skin and hair, which obviously doesn't help. I was wanting to try a few more things before we take that step. I don't think it's that bad, just more zits than normal, and they take forever to go away.

6. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 2, 2014

My friends sister told us toothpaste would work..I know they say it doesn't, but for me it did? I would dab a little on at night! LOL!

7. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

May 2, 2014

I went on birth control and it helped soooooo much.

8. bros

bros Phenom

May 2, 2014

My brother went to a dermatologist. He was put on.. doxycycline, I think.

Cleared his face up rather well. The dermatologist also give him tips as to how to keep his face from getting oily and stuff.

9. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

May 2, 2014

My middle daughter used proactive and it was great. She had been on a prescription from the dermatologist before the Proactive but the Proactive was cheaper and worked better. She stopped having any problems when I made her go on the pill at 16 because I could not deal with the "monthly" problems she was having--(she has endometriosis).

10. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 2, 2014

My acne was so incredibly bad that I had to take Accutane.

Thankfully, I didn't experience any of the horrible side effects that are linked to that medication.

Anyway, the acne never came back (I took it 15 years ago), and I wasn't left with any scars.

11. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

May 2, 2014

I used proactive, but X-out didn't exist when I was in that age range. It worked like a charm, for me it was totally worth the money.
    The only warning I would send with the proactive is this: make sure she only uses old towels and washcloths that you don't care about. It will bleach them.

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 2, 2014

Pro-Active worked for my daughter. It is great. To get things under control, tetracycline works really well. It has to be taken with food, though. Use a clean face towel every day and make sure pillowcases are washed at least once a week.

13. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 2, 2014

My niece used something (OTC cleaner like Sea Breeze) left the new towels we bought bleached! Nothing like blue towels with pink spots! LOL!

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 2, 2014

My daughter is only 10 and I'm starting to see small zits pop up on her face. Nothing too bad yet and just one here and there, but I know it's coming. I'm not ready.

15. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 2, 2014

When I used Pro Activ it caused my face to burn and swell, but I know that it has worked well for many people. Also, they were really good about refunding my money when I told them about my reaction.

16. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

May 2, 2014

I have used Proactiv. My PCP told me that it rips up your skin and really isn't good for it. I've also been on (prescription) Retin-A (retinol). It helped, I had to be very careful not to get burned. It can also cause birth defects if one were to get pregnant while using it.

17. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 2, 2014

I tried proactiv when I was younger and it did not work at all. Coming from someone who had acne growing up, please take your daughter to a dermatologist sooner rather than later. I remember being just mortified about my skin, but I didn't really speak up abut it to my parents. My friends got the occasional zit, but no one had acne like I did. My mom bought me just about every OTC thing there was before finally taking me to a derm when I was 15. It took MONTHS to get an appointment because they were so full. I tried various prescription meds from the derm, non of which helped long term either. The only thing that finally helped was getting on birth control. My mom was hesitant (very conservative family) but the dr. convinced her that the acne was hormonal and nothing else would work, and my face could permanently scar if we didn't do anything about it. After all of this, it took until my junior year of high school for my skin to really clear up after finding the right type of birth control. The dr. said I would "grow out of" the acne by around age 22. I'm 26 and I still need a specific brand of birth control plus several prescription topical medicines to keep my skin clear.

18. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

May 3, 2014

I had terrible acne as a teen. Burt's Bees tomato soap was realllly good for my acne, but I don't know if they make it anymore. Philosophy's Purity face wash (the non foaming one) is also amazing and very gentle without stripping all of the oil from my face.

The only thing that completely cleared my face was birth control... but at 13, she might be too young to go that route.