teenagers with ADD

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by wanateach, Jan 6, 2006.

1. wanateach

wanateach Companion

Jan 6, 2006

Hi,
    I am not teaching yet, anywhere, though I want to be, but I have a question, I really just want some insight and ideas-My kids are okay, but there is a teenage boy who has been visiting us, a friend of my daughter's. He has been diagnosed with ADD, and I just love him to death, he is friendly, and very polite to me-the mom, and my heart goes out to him-but I don't know how to help him-he doesn't like adults interfering in his life, but I feel that I have established the kind of relationship with him, that he could open up to me-if you have any suggestions of activities I could do with him, I believe he is using drugs, and bordering on trouble with the law-I will be getting my teaching license soon to teach, but feel the need to reach this kid. any help or ideas, or conversation starters, I read somewhere that to do an activity with emotionally challenged children is good because you are doing something, such as drawing, and then talking to them, but not directly sort of takes the "heat" off of them, just trying to sort of be a mom to him, thanks for reading and responding. L.

3. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

Feb 2, 2006

wannateach,

I would ask him what are his goals in life. Does he want to finish school and go to college, does he want to become a parent, what does he want to do when he finishes school? I would also ask him what he likes, hobbies, interests and just listen to what he says. Make sure that you you are like a MOM or TEACHER and not just friend because teenage boys do misinterpret messages when a FEMALE is a mentor. It's best to have a male influence, but if you are the only person available be ready to have a open heart. Ask him how he feels, and don't push the issue when he doesn't want to talk. Just change the subject. Boys and men have difficulty sharing their feelings with others. We haven't been taught to do this it's part of who we are. I'm a guy, but I have learned to write my feelings down which helps.

Troy in Downey, Ca
    AspieTeacher

4. wanateach

wanateach Companion

Feb 3, 2006

Thanks Troy,
    that is helpful for me, but I guess I am now out of the picture as 2 weeks ago he ran away from home-right here to me, so I am not to create a "soft" environment any more, which pretty much means I may never see him again, I miss him terribly, thanks for your reply. L