Teenagers (Even if we consider them to be "bad") are People Too!

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by chemteach55, Sep 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 24, 2013

That shows some strong reflection, Leatherette, but don't get too hard on yourself. Do you have a team where you can do some groupthink on how to deal with problem students and situations? Perhaps meeting with your students' GenEd teachers (assuming you're not self-contained) or aides (if you are) to sound out the best way to approach a behavior issue might help you solve it.

2. joeschmoe

joeschmoe Companion

Sep 26, 2013

You can keep telling yourself that to make yourself feel good. Sure I understand behind every kid, there could be a story. But you do realize some kids don't have a story? They have all the support in the world, but they really are just assholes. If that word offends you that much, then you are being naive.

And the whole guilt thing. What's the point of that? Am I supposed to feel any lesser because you have a huge heart?

3. joeschmoe

joeschmoe Companion

Sep 26, 2013

That doesn't make any sense.

4. Ted

Ted Habitué

Sep 26, 2013

While I may not use the colorful label that Joe has chosen, I will say that I agree with him. Some people (children, teens, adults, seniors) are just mean-hearted/rude/etc.

I do believe in nature vs. nurture and I do believe we each have a personality. Yes, certain personality traits can be groomed/encouraged (either by positive external factors, or motivations). But I believe babies are born with personality traits.

Case in point: a child may be terribly shy. He may have the most outgoing parents in the world; they may encourage him, enroll him in public speaking classes; seek counseling...but he is just shy.

This all being said, I do believe that children who are vacillating between being "good" or "bad" could be swayed by how we adults treat them.

I do my best to give the students who enter my room at the beginning of the year the benefit of the proverbial doubt and observe them and watch their behavior. I try to encourage good, but as Alice pointed out... teachers are human and I sometimes fall in the "label" trap.

When all is said and done, I believe each teacher has the responsibility to do his/her best with his/her charges.

5. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Sep 27, 2013

I would actually be really interested to hear another teacher who has been threatened and harrassed by a student report that they still had warm feelings towards that student.

I have had kids who were difficult and apathatic. When I taught 8th grade, I had kids who didn't care at all about school, were disruptive, even a bit rude at time. I cared about them and stayed up late at night trying to think of ways to make my class more meaningful for them. I had a kid like that tell me privately "Thank you for not giving up on me." It made me cry. A lot. But when you have a kid who's almost a legal adult, knows your address (where you, your husband, and children live), threaten you, mock you, and sexually harass you...I'm sorry, but you are just not going to have warm, fuzzy feelings towards him.

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 27, 2013

I've had knives pulled on me twice. One of those times the student got me in a headlock with the knife at my throat. I was able to talk him down, with the help of security, and my admin asked me if I wanted him removed from my class. I said no. He's an angry kid from the ghetto who's never been taught any better. I kept him in my class, went to court to ask the judge for leniency (and he got it...first time offender and 13 years old), and redoubled my efforts with him. One of the proudest days of my life was 5 years later when I got a handwritten graduation announcement from his mother.

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 27, 2013

Warm and fuzzy feelings are much different than "having a heart" for the kids when you imagine or know there is a history or reason driving the behavior. I am NOT saying I would want to teach students who threatened and truly scared me, but it doesn't mean I don't feel sad about their lives.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.