teen numbers

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by krisaustin, Oct 19, 2007.

1. krisaustin

krisaustin Companion

Oct 19, 2007

I am looking for ideas on teaching teen numbers. Also looking counting worksheets. Any ideas would be great.

3. Lindzee82

Lindzee82 Companion

Oct 20, 2007

I would like ideas for teaching teen numbers, too. My kiddos just don't seem to be getting it!

4. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Oct 20, 2007

One of the things we do in the latest edition of Everyday math my kiddos loved and it seemed to help at least review them. I got table cloths from the dollar store and put each number 11-19 on the cloth (paper covered with packing tape for durability) and then we played sort of like twister. I have a spinner that came with the series (cards would work too) and I would tell the class to put their hand or foot on the teen number I called out. I only had them touch one number at a time for safety. I made 6 mats and had 3 students to a mat, also for safety.
    They loved it and did very well with it.

5. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Oct 20, 2007

That is a CUTE idea!

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 20, 2007

Though I've never taught K, one thing I can suggest as a teacher of older elementary students (and middle school math students) is to make sure that, at an early age, they recognize that a teen number really means 10 plus another number. Also, that the 1 in the teen number stands for one ten. This helps later on when they learn to regroup.

7. Mommyof2xys

Mommyof2xys Rookie

Oct 22, 2007

This sounds like a wonderful idea...I am going to try it with my kiddos.

8. SueHue

SueHue Comrade

Oct 22, 2007

We collected plastic water bottle caps, you need 10 for each child. Write the numerals 0-9 on them. Give a set to the child, and ask him to show you a certain number. If you tell him to show you 12, he needs to put bottle cap #1 with #2. You can try to trick him by asking him to build the number 11. He will try, but then laugh and say, "I can't - I need another 1." You can use these all the way up to 98, and the kids get a kick out of trying to make the doubles (22, 33, 44). If you are doing this with a small group, make it a contest. See who can do it first. Our math kit comes with flashcards, but they are harder for the students to manipulate. Bottle caps are easier to grasp.

9. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Oct 23, 2007

We get to this aspect later in the year. Right now it is just about recognizing them as they are very hard for the kids since they do not follow the "rules" that other double digit numbers follow.

I do have several ways that I teach this concept too if anyone is interested.