Teen kills four people drinking and driving, avoids jail time

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by i8myhomework, Dec 18, 2013.

1. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Dec 18, 2013

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/11/us/texas-teen-dwi-wreck/

I only recently heard of this case but :wow:. Back in the summer this kid was driving drunk in his family's car. He ended up killing four but injuring eleven. One young man he hit is now paralyzed and can't move; he can only communicate through blinking :(

The judge gave him ten years probation and he has to go to a "treatment facility" for one year, but it seems more like a resort. At $450,000 a year it has therapy, horseback riding and cooking lessons. They are going to try to reprogram him or something.

Odd and sad story. I am shocked there was no jail time. Isn't Texas tough on drunk drivers?

3. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Dec 18, 2013

This is just so sad I believe in rehabilitation but where is the retribution?

4. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Dec 18, 2013

I heard about this. It makes me absolutely livid. Where is the justice for the people who were killed? For their families?

I thing we are far too easy on DUI convictions.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 18, 2013

Absolutely horrendous! I hadn't heard this story. Speaking of this, in my area of southern CA, there's been a lot of high-speed police chases lately & many ended up in serious crashes. I'm sure many of those drivers were drunk or drugged up too. :mad:

6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Dec 19, 2013

The judge said it was because other sentences didn't seem to be working.

With our recidivism rate so high, I'd like a serious look at our system. I read an interesting article about a Norway prison http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/24/world/europe/norway-prison-bastoy-nicest/

They have "normal" prisons too, but ex-cons have a better support system when released. It's very interesting.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 19, 2013

This happened in my state. The judge said the kid had "affluenza". This kid's parents have not punished him for any of his wrongdoing so he doesn't know the meaning of consequence. I heard on the radio yesterday that this family had another house in the area, close to their primary residence, where this kid could stay by himself and have parties...there was no need for him to be driving.

Now they're trying to get him on intoxication assualt for the two boys that were in the car with him. This whole thing is making me sick.

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 19, 2013

I couldn't believe this!!! I mean just because he doesn't know right & wrong has consequences???? WHAT??? So this poor family is left feeling as though no justice was done!!! I mean he killed 4 people, drinking under age & barely of age to drive (I don't know driving laws in TX)!!!
    My parents were hit by a drunk driver (they survived Thankfully), but was driver's 2nd offense!!! The driver actually about 3 yrs later was drunk again and wrapped himself around a pole!!! It makes me so mad to hear about drinking & driving!!!

9. BookReader813

BookReader813 Companion

Dec 19, 2013

And this child has not been charged with vehicular manslaughter because...? He KILLED four people. I get that he is a minor, but c'mon...he KILLED people, and he gets probation?

Where is the justice in that?

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 19, 2013

Let's pretend for a minute that I buy that defense.

Then wouldn't it make sense to remove the 'affluenza" to prevent a recurrance? To ensure legally that he never makes more than x% above the poverty line??

Probably not legal, but it seems to be the closest to a reasonable response to the defense that he was criminally irresponsible because of affluence--- remove the affluence to prevent it from happening again.

Otherwise, how do we prevent this kid from doing the same thing over and over, because of his "condition."????

11. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Dec 19, 2013

I agree with you Alice. I read that his parents are paying for the 450,000 treatmeant center. I wonder if the fact that the parents are paying had anything to do with his lenient sentence?

12. Alesia

Alesia Companion

Dec 19, 2013

Or is it their way of making sure he is still indulged in a cushy lifestyle?

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 19, 2013

Where exactly IS this treatment center for "affluenza"??? Because THAT'S the reason he killed those 4 people, right?? Not because he was driving drunk, but because he never ever learned that actions have consequences because he's affluent??

If that's his defense, then that's what they should be treating.

If his issue is alcohol addiction, then how is he any different from every other person who got behind the wheel under the influence and killed someone?

14. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Dec 19, 2013

I live in southern CA, and when I heard this story on the radio, they said the "treatment center" is in Newport Beach, CA, one of the most ridiculously rich and uppity places in the nation. That fact has made me even more angry about the whole situation. I really wonder WHAT the center is supposed to "treat"....surely it's not just for kids who are raised to be sociopaths by overindulgent parents? Seems a very specific demographic...

You bring up an interesting point with alcohol addiction - if they are using defenses like "affluenza," perhaps people will start getting away with drunk driving fatalities because they are alcoholics! Instead of actually having consequences for their actions, everyone can just be sent to a treatment center. Ugh.

15. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 19, 2013

This story has ****** me off beyond words. So that's all I have right now.

16. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Dec 19, 2013

You know the more I think about this story the more it doesn't surprise me. It is common knowledge that rich people tend to get much more lenient sentencing because they can pay for the good lawyers and whatnot. The surprising thing is that this actually admits it flat out. It's basically saying, "I'm not guilty because I am a rich, (white) person"

17. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Dec 19, 2013

If you read about the judge it will get you even madder. She has previously given other teenage boys much harsher sentences for not nearly as bad of crimes.

18. chemnerd19

chemnerd19 Companion

Dec 20, 2013

This just grinds my gears to no end. :mad: