Teen Dance Party

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by cutNglue, Mar 13, 2012.

1. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 13, 2012

I'm panicking. I have rented a ballroom and I have a possible lead on a DJ. I have to get the food catered in (not my favorite part because it is expensive and I'm trying to figure out how to narrow that down).

Now that the basics are thought of, what other things do I need to know about planning my soon to be 16 year old son's formal dance birthday party? What about the scheduling/timing? Decorations? (May have to order these online so I need immediate help). Creative ideas? At the moment it feels very boring. I don't have experience with high school dances so I'm hoping some of you have seen enough and have some creative ideas to share!

3. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Mar 13, 2012

When I was in student council in high school we were always in charge of putting together the dances. One of the easiest ways to decorate is by getting a bunch of those hire Christmas lights and putting those up. It was always easy and fairly cheap and adds a nice atmosphere :)

4. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 14, 2012

Making sure you have enough adults there to supervise! He's a boy, so he may not want too many decorations. For food, I'd stick to just appetizers and things. Man food, but fancy man food. I always think ice sculptures look nice.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 14, 2012

Kids love it when the DJs have giveaways-- hats, sunglasses, inflatable guitars and stuff. If the DJ doesn't supply them, check with Oriental Trading.

And I agree with the supervision. You do NOT want the hassle of someone bringing in booze or arriving drunk. It's a legal and practical nightmare.

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 14, 2012

For more info. We have reserved a ballroom on base. It's a very elegant creamy white room. We are toying with the idea of a Black and White Bling Bling Dance. Basically wear black and white and flashy and fake jewelry. Lots of sequins and glitter will do the trick too.

So far I will need to ask friends to chaperone several areas:
    ballroom*
    photo session area (and someone to take pictures during the party too)*
    lobby
    game room (there is one available for anyone that doesn't feel like dancing anymore)
    hallway
    serving area*
    runner (this will probably be me)

*denotes people in the main room

I have two leads on DJs and a cake person.
    The toughest part is the catering. It's too pricey and I'm toying with just providing sandwiches and chips (and drinks) because I'm not allowed to bring in anything from outside and that alone is over $100 by itself (without cake and drinks).

I'm hoping that Bling Bling is an acceptable party for a boy but he just cares that it is formal. I can't think of another theme at the moment without it going overboard. Basically I'm think black and white plus silver and gold for decor. It also has to be something I can set up within about 30 minutes (with my small team of adults).

I have thought about party favors but I like the idea of the DJ handing out stuff. I can do that!

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 14, 2012

It sounds wonderful.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 14, 2012

Cut, I just heard about the Japanese earthquake. Could you check back in and let everyone know you and your family and friends are OK??

9. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 14, 2012

I'm not mainland. I'm good. Nothing here. There was one a bit ago closer to me (but not in the last few days) but it was further out in the ocean so no real impact here. The one today I heard was out in the ocean a bit too and closer to mainland. They get a ton per year and aren't expecting aftershocks or a tsunami (at least according to a friend). Sometimes I feel shut off a little bit without cable here because if you hadn't asked, I wouldn't have known to ask. SOMETIMES I get a FB message but only if there is really an impact and I have to be paying attention to catch that. For the big one, I first really found out via people back home emailing me!

Edit to add: My friend tells me it is in a similar spot as last year and 3 days after the 1 year anniversary of last year's bad one. I can see why it is being reported. She says they aren't expecting big things from this one thankfully. Now I need to go do some reading for myself.

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 14, 2012

I drew a floor plan today and realized there is a bit more to think about but I also am armed with some creative ideas and plan to go to the 100 yen store tomorrow to see what I can do. I have stuff bookmarked online to order just in case I can't find it. I can't delay ordering or it won't make it here in time. My weak area at the moment is thematic party favors. I think I got the decorations down (or at least ideas for it).

11. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Mar 14, 2012

Finger foods that are easy and fast are the way to go...big subs that can be cut up, chips, dip, cokes,

What time are you starting? What time over?

If you do it after 7:00 or so, just some snacks...popcorn, cheap and you can buy flavors to put on it...and easy.

Pizza? How many kids are we talking?

12. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 14, 2012

I can't bring my own food unfortunately. It's irritating and eating up the budget but that's the way it is. I WISH I could do pizza because this is for FIFTY kids!

I have the room from 6-9 but that has to include set up and clean up time. SO I'm thinking of quick to set up ideas. 630-830. I kind of wish I had chosen 7-10 (I think that's the last slot, maybe it was 9pm).

I'm gonna buy some chips in case I run out but this is a new thing for this particular venue and I have a feeling there will be staff watching.

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 14, 2012

Whatever is the cheapest form of food that the venue will provide is probably the best way to go. If you are allowed to bring in chips, then go ahead and do so. The kids aren't going to be eating any kind of 'meal' food, anyway. The theme sounds wonderful. I wouldn't go too overboard with decorations, either. Silver, gold, and b/w is perfect for that age. They want to feel older, and that will give a maturity to the decor. Have you talked to the DJ at all? Do you know if he/she will do any games or anything?

If you can change the times of the event, do so. If not, oh well. The kids will be happy to get together at the timeframe you have. Don't worry too much.

14. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 14, 2012

Here's one idea I can pull off for the seating/eating area (minus fancy plates). It is picture number 2.

http://www.hgtv.com/entertaining/15-easy-centerpieces-for-any-dinner-party/pictures/index.html

Here is something I want to splurge on for a photo session area (with a friend as the photographer). http://www.orientaltrading.com/gold-pillars-a2-3_5138-12-1.fltr?Ntt=pillars

I'm also getting LED tea candles, some glow in the dark party favors, mardi gras beads, diamond confetti and the rest I'm just looking for inspiration online to make stuff from my home or the dollar store.

I could use something more creative for party favors and any easy and fast to assemble or set up on the spot centerpieces to get my creative juices going.

I guess they got going a lot though after I put my initial post. That's always how it goes.

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 14, 2012