teddy bears

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Guest, Aug 17, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 17, 2002

I want to do a unit on Teddy Bears for my first graders....i have heard of other classes doing int and having a ball....does anyone have suggestions...or sites i could go to for ideas and activites? thanks ...

3. LisaN

LisaN Rookie

Aug 17, 2002

Some of the traveling buddy projects have teddy bears. You can host one in your class. Go to www.globalschoolhouse.org/pr
    and enter to search by teddy bear or date of project. We have hosted an orca whale, gingerbread doll and other things. I know I have seen teddys.
    In the fall make a hibernation cave for a teddy ( a class one, so the children do not have to part with theirs until spring) out of a paper bag. Roll the edges down, lay it on its side and put leaves and soft dry stuff in the bottom. Make a sign that says "Quiet. Don't wake until spring" or something like that and stick it on the bag. Place the teddy in it until spring!
    If everyone has a teddy, have them bring them in to compare. Graph color, size, etc. Teddy grahams for math manipulatives. Teddy Bear's picnic with the song, having a picnic with the bears.
    Have you typed in "teddy bears" on this site?

4. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

5. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Aug 18, 2002

my sons class had a cave for the bears to hibernate in. This allowed the teachers to label the bears as they came in and identify which child had not brought one in. The teachers had the kids in PIJAMAS! So the calendar of the week sent home was to bring in a teddy bear and on friday wear your p.js.
    Berenstein bears, winnie the pooh, read some literature.
    Show a movie! Re create 'brown bear brown bear what do you see...." Teddy Bear Grahms comes in chocolate, honey and, original? Anyhow you could if the color is contrasting enough do graphs with those. Make puppets on a stick or brown bag. Let them draw their bears!(I would first trace my stuffed bear and then look for and add details) good luck.

6. musicbug

musicbug Rookie

Aug 18, 2002

I did a unit for my first graders when I taught library. I read teddy bear stories for 6 weeks. On week 6 the kids brought their bears to school. Since I had 125 kids in and out that week I had name tags made up with the teddy's name, the child's name and the child's teacher's name.I only had to rescue two left behind teddies that week.It was the most popular lessson I had done.The following year the second graders asked if they could have teddy bear day again. That year was even better.All the teddy bears stayed with their friends. A must read is The Best Loved Bear if you can find it.The author escapes me. The story is too adorable. The kids also voted fortheir favorite story book bear. My 4th graders made the campaign posters and counted the votes.

7. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 18, 2002