Teddy Bear Picnic

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Butterfly4, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Butterfly4

Butterfly4 Comrade

Jan 2, 2007

I want to have a teddy bear picnic one day during the week we are talking about the letter T. I thought it would be fun for all the kids to bring in a teddy bear (I'll bring in a few to share with those who dont have one or forget).

I thought we could put out blankets to have snack on. I also thought about sorting the bears, and have each child measure their bear.

Any other ideas??

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 2, 2007

Gummy bears and Teddy grahams as snacks?

Someone, I forget who, sings the song of the Teddy Bear Picnic. I'll see if I can find it.

edited to add: that was easy! Here you go:http://12121.hostinguk.com/teddybear.htm

4. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 2, 2007

You can buy the teddy bears counters for not much money and have them sort by color and count.
    Make paint prints with bear cookies cutters.
    Make heads bands of bear's ears.
    Say Fuzzy Wuzzy Wuz A Bear.
    Read The 3 Bears and act it out.
    Sing The Bear Went Over the Mountain
    Say Goin' On A Bear Hunt

5. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

6. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jan 2, 2007

We did a bear theme right before Christmas; the kids had a ball. I did it for a week. On the last day (Friday); we had a picnic; weather was not permitting so we had it in class. The kids were thrilled about that! I brought a huge blanket and the kids sat at the edges with their bears. We had Teddy Grahams and juice. One of the moms wanted to bring chips as well.

Something fun for them to think about was as we introduced each bear: I asked them if it was a brown bear, black bear or toy bear. Then we got into a conversation about that. Fun! Some ames we played: Bear Parade (I was the leader w/bear and they had to do what I did as we marched, hopped, in class - raise our bears, move to the side, place on tummy, etc...when the music ended, we gently threw our bears in the air to catch them. Also, musical chairs was fun.

7. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jan 2, 2007

We had our kids (if they were comfortable) get up and introduce their bear. Name, age, likes, dislikes etc. We sent home invitations to their bears (which they signed). I also use digital cameras A TON so I think I got a shot of them with their bears and sent them home at the end of the day. (We have a photo printer too!--though the paper stash is very very low at the moment :( )

8. Musicalgator

Musicalgator Companion

Jan 3, 2007

Our pre-k did a teddy bear parade to each classroom in our building. It was very cute, they were holding their bears and the teacher had a boombox playing Teddy Bear Picnic. It did not eat up a lot of our time in the other grades. Our students enjoyed seeing their old teachers and siblings.

9. ad65shorty

ad65shorty Companion

Jan 9, 2007

We also did Teddy Bear awards. Very fun and quick! Each kid brings their bear to the front, reminds us of their name, and then we "award" it with something (fuzziest, whitest, best red bow, anything you and the kids can dream of). I write the bear's name and the award on a piece of paper (an award sheet), we clap, and they sit down. They LOVE it!

10. gr8_life

gr8_life Companion

Jan 10, 2007

Of course you have the book called Teddy Bear Picnic and plan to read it first? It's darling.

11. Butterfly4

Butterfly4 Comrade

Jan 10, 2007

Thanks for all the GREAT ideas!! Yes, I have the book that I plan to read. We've decided to make it in to a pajama party as well, the kids loved our Polar Express pajama party in Dec.

I think I remember a very old animated movie of The Teddy Bear's Picnic. I cannot find in online ANYWHERE!!! Does anyone know of this and can tell me any info about it? Thanks!!