Techy people: how to connect speakers to LCD projector?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Caesar753, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 22, 2015

I currently connect my DVD player to an LCD projector using RCA cables. The speakers on the LCD projector are no good and I would like to connect external speakers, like those cheap little computer speakers. The cords on the speakers have a USB end and a light green end. Nothing on the LCD projector is USB or light green--just the standard cable and RCA jacks.

Is it possible to connect the speakers I have to the LCD projector? If so, can anyone help me figure out how, maybe draw a little diagram or something?

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 22, 2015

Look at the back panel of your projector. It should have some kind of "audio out" port: most probably a 35mm stereo phono jack (which is what most headphones have), though you might also see red and white RCA jacks (if you remember VCRs, you've seen cable with RCA jacks). A pair of computer speakers usually comes with a cable that splits: one end has the 3.5mm stereo phono jack to plug into the computer, and the other two ends are the left and right mono phono jacks that plug into the speakers. The cable's usually pretty short, but there are ways to deal with that.

Edited to fix this: I meant 3.5mm, not 35mm.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  4. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 22, 2015

No real easy way to do this without buying extra parts. My projecter doesn't have any 35mm headphone sized audio out ports. I would recommend connecting your DVD player directly to the speakers in that case. Unless your DVD player has a 35mm audio out port (unlikely) you will need to buy the following cable on the left:

[​IMG]

Then hook your speakers into the headphone jack that comes out of it.

You can find it here: http://www.parts-express.com/dual-rca-male-to-35mm-stereo-female-y-adapter-audio-cable--240-070

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 22, 2015

A headphone port IS a 3.5mm audio out port: exactly the same jack is used.

Some computer speakers are wired in series: one cable (stereo on both ends: two little black stripes on each plug, just like the two little black stripes on the plug of the headphones you use with your iWhatever) plugs into the speaker that has the volume control, and a second cable (mono on both ends: one little black stripe per plug, but the plugs are likely to be identical to the first pair otherwise) runs from the first speaker to the second - that, or the wire between the speakers is permanently installed. In that case, Caesar, you don't need a splitter.

The adapter on the left in Peregrin's photo has a female 3.5mm phono plug below - it will accept a two-stripe 3.5mm plug - and terminates in two male RCA plugs; the colors indicate that this is a stereo-to-mono splitter. The adapter on the right has a male RCA plug below and two female plugs up above. From this angle I can't tell you whether this is a stereo-to-mono splitter, but if the outside of a female RCA plug isn't color-coded, the inside will be, inside the metal collar that you can see here. Always, always plug red to red and white to white.

If your speakers have phono jacks and the DVD or projector has RCA jacks, you could use Peregrin's left-hand splitter backwards: plug its red and white plugs into the source's red and white audio out jacks, and then run a standard 3.5mm male-to-male cable to your speakers. Frankly, the cheapest place to get RCA cables these days, what with people upgrading to wireless equipment, is a thrift store. Look for the cables that seem to be the least beat-up, especially around the plugs. There's no reason not to use a three-plug video cable, either: the yellow plugs are the video plugs, and you can just let 'em hang.

6. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Apr 22, 2015

Each LCD projector is a bit different. Would you happen to know the model and brand you have?

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 22, 2015

I think it says InFocus on it, but I don't know any specifics and I'm at home now so I can't check.

The speakers I have are connected to each other and have two other cords coming out of one speaker, neither of which is red or white. The USB end won't plug into anything on the LCD or DVD player. I can't figure out if the green end on the speaker will plug into anything on the LCD or DVD player. I don't have any adapters, but I do have a long cord with red and white ends, in addition to the red/yellow/white RCA cable.

8. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 23, 2015

Just to clarify, my projector has 35mm audio IN ports but no 35mm audio OUT ports. I think they assumed that you would only be routing the sound in and not out, but like reading rules said, every projector is different and Caesar's may have this port.

Caesar, if this is your projector:

[​IMG]

then you DO have an audio out port. Just plug the computer speakers (using the headphone jack) into the audio out port and leave everything else connected (or unplug the audio if you just want it coming from the speakers).

9. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Apr 23, 2015

Why don't you just hook up speakers to the computer, and not add the extra step of going through the projector?

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 23, 2015

That's not what the back of mine looks like.

Thanks for your help, everyone. I'm going to just resort to trial and error and see if I can get it to work.

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 23, 2015

Because I'm playing a DVD through the DVD player. My computer doesn't have a DVD drive.

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 23, 2015

Bah!

I got it hooked up in a way that would work, except that there is no power getting to the speakers. Aaaarg!

13. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 23, 2015

#ifeelyourpain

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 23, 2015

Ah: USB-powered speakers. I don't know if it would work to plug the USB cable into a charger, but it might be worth a try.