Technology

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Pac, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Pac

Pac Rookie

Nov 17, 2008

hey ya'll,

Does your school have smart boards. If so how do you like them???

3. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Nov 17, 2008

I have the only one in my school. Love, love, love it! Don't know what I would do without it! Do a search and you will find many threads about them.

4. luckyal29

luckyal29 Companion

Nov 18, 2008

Nope. District is way behind in technology. Sucks since I'm really into tech and would incorporate it into my teaching. Any ideas from people on how I can get one? I doubt I can influence the school district into getting me one. Maybe I can apply for a grant or something?

5. MsDeb

MsDeb Comrade

Nov 18, 2008

Just got mine 2 weeks ago and I already couldn't live with it out it! I can integrate so much into my lessons.....Yesterday, we were starting a story in the basal about MLK Jr. and I was able to pull up an audio of his "I Have A Dream" speech. The students were enthralled listening to his speak. It had much more impact than me reading it to them.
    I received a grant from the district to get mine!

6. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Nov 18, 2008

I've had mine for 2 years and it is fantastic. I can't imagine teaching math without it....

7. LATechTeacher

LATechTeacher Companion

Nov 18, 2008

Our school just received a grant that purchased smartboards for all the 3-5th grade teachers. I love mine! The students are so much more involved in the learning! We also have the activote and the activslates which are really neat!

8. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Nov 18, 2008

I don't even have a computer on my desk-just one for the kids, and it hardly boots up, much less has a connection to the internet. SmartBoard? I wish. ;) Although my last school gave me one, took my whiteboard out to install it, and then failed to replace the projector bulb when it burned out two weeks in. So then I had no SmartBoard and no white board. So I'll take my white board this year over a non-working SmartBoard. (make sure your school has money to replace projector bulbs!!!)

9. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Nov 19, 2008

Jem makes a good point. I've had HORRIBLE trouble with my projector, not my smartboard. I have a Dell projector, and in two years I've had three bulbs. Now, the other teachers at my school have Epson projectors, and they haven't had to change a single bulb in over two years. So if possible when you get your smartboard, go with an Epson projector.

10. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Nov 19, 2008

I was able to have a smartboard for me to use during my student teaching. I LOVED it... I think you can do such amazing things in science with it. My grade math teacher got one and they've been taking their sweet time trying to get it up and running, but she's super excited about it.

I'm hoping eventually my school will be willing to purchase one for us. We all have computer projectors and we get a macbook when we start working here so that's very helpful. Next year the school is giving laptops to all of our students--- so I'm hoping I can plan my lessons on Moodle and do more webquest type of lessons than what I'm doing now.

Good luck on getting one--- you could also try requesting grant information from the company that makes the product too. :)

11. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Nov 19, 2008

No, but I just found out I'm going to be at the school again next year so I'm considering writing a grant for one. I don't know if I'll get it, but hey why not try. (Those of you that helped me with the projector grant...the deadline was posted incorrectly so I didn't get it in on time, I decided why not try for what I really want.)

I would LOVE LOVE a smart board :D