Technology- what does your school provide?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ohteachr, Jul 23, 2009.

1. NJArt

NJArt Comrade

Jul 25, 2009

I read this thread and saw that several of you have no computers for students to use in your classrooms, so I wanted to share what I did when I worked in a small private school in a poor urban area. We wanted computers for the kids but had NO money... I wrote letters to about 2 dozen local companies asking if they had any old computers to donate, and one was willing to donate about 25 used computers!! They weren't anything to write home about, but were fine for word processing and playing some simple games... and definitely better then nothing!! You folks with a lack of technology in your school might want to try it... all it costs is some time and stamps.

2. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2009

My school just replaced the teacher computers, so there are about 50 sitting in storage collecting dust. But even if we could use them the tech guy has to come and hook them up and they told us they would not have internet access. If we buy computers or get someone to donate them to us in order to use them in the classroom we have to donate them to the school. So if we ever go to teach at any of the other schools in our district we have to leave the computers. It's just not worth it to not have access to the internet.

3. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jul 25, 2009

Everyone has a desktop computer and a projector in their room. We have 4 laptop carts that have 16 laptops inside. Each hallway has one of the carts, so it's split between eight classrooms.

In my particular classroom, because of grants and programs I've been a part of, I have 17 laptops and my 1 desktop, two scanners, two projectors, two video cameras, two digital cameras, an iPod, and two printers.

I would give anything for a SmartBoard, but we don't have any on our campus. We have SmartSlates, also known as Airliners, but they're just not the same.