Technology- what does your school provide?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ohteachr, Jul 23, 2009.

1. ohteachr

ohteachr Rookie

Jul 23, 2009

I'm just curious about what kind of technology your school provides you. Do you have desktops in your room? Just for you or several for students to use? Are you provided with a laptop? Do you have a Smart Board? A projector to hook up to your computer? What else do you have?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2009

My school provides each classroom with a document projector (some here call them ELMOs.) Each classroom has a pull down screen.

We also have a computer in each room, we use them for attendance. Each computer is connected to the internet.

Additionally, each room has a DVD/ VCR hookup.

Of course, most of the time I use chalk and an eraser :)

4. Jen in NCal

Jen in NCal Rookie

Jul 23, 2009

Each teacher is given a desktop computer. 4th and 5th grade has SmartBoards.

Some classrooms have computers for students to use. I chose not to have them as they take up room and I never had time for the students to use them.

5. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 23, 2009

All teachers have laptops (tablet pc)
    All students have laptops (tablet pc)
    Everything is wireless across entire campus
    Every classroom at the HS has a digital projector
    DyKnow replaced need for SMARTBoards and Mimios, they went to the elementary
    tv dvd vcr
    Central printing (color and b/w) in library

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 23, 2009

The teacher has a computer in the classroom. The kids go to a computer lab if needed. We have a smartboard and a document camera. We also have a tv turner to view videos on our smartboard. I'm just going by what the wall switch says. I have no idea how that works. I thought we just use videos from online. Hmm....

We also have an LED display announcement board above all doors.

7. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 23, 2009

I have: document camera, digital camera, pull down screen, LCD projector, laptop, 6 desktops, wireless writing pad, PPT slide clicker (don't know the correct name), DVD/VCR player, built-in speakers, scanner, tv tuner that allows us to show movies, tv, etc, and two printers. I have a wall switch that controls it all. Blessed to have so much technology.

8. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Jul 23, 2009

All teachers are provided with desktop computers, and TV's with DVD players.

However, thanks to DonorsChoose, I have a laptop, an LCD projector, and a document camera.

9. teachsph2008

teachsph2008 Companion

Jul 23, 2009

At the beginning of last year I was happy to have a telephone and over head projector! LOL I'm serious! Eventually we did get some computers.

10. kacieann

kacieann Companion

Jul 23, 2009

I have a Promethean board, Activoters, LCD Projector, 4 Desktops, 9 laptops and I will be getting MP3 players at the beginning of the year. I received a grant for my LCD projector and 8 of the laptops in my classroom. All of the classrooms that are Title 1 in our parish are receiving laptops, promethean board, and activoters. I love technology so the more the merrier in my classroom. I have found that it cuts my behavior issues down to a minimum.:D

11. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Jul 23, 2009

I've got a SMARTboard. Once you have it, you can't live without it! It saves a ton of time and once you make the slides, they only need a little updating for the next year.

12. kidsr#1

kidsr#1 Companion

Jul 23, 2009

I believe all of the elementary have 3 desktop computers. One of which is for the teacher's use. We do lunch count and grades online.

As of right now there is one permanently attached smartboard and one portable smartboard in the elementary. We will be getting four more elementary smartboards to be permanently attached (one will be mine!) in a few weeks. We have an updated high school/jr. high lab. We have an elementary computer lab with approx. 35 computers. All are internet accessible.

The computers in the classroom are internet ready and I believe they are all XP now.

As far as I know we have one document camera for the IT class.

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2009

I have one of 17 Smart Classrooms. They come with all of this:
    * wall-mounted SmartBoard
    * ceiling-mounted LED projector
    * AirLiner wireless slate
    * student responders (clickers)
    * document camera
    * desktop computer

All classrooms have this:
    * phone
    * television with cable
    * computer with internet
    * VCR/DVD player

I also have a digital camera, two all-in-one ink jet printers, a stereo, and a set of 30 laptop computers.

The school has two full-size computer labs, a radio station , and a television station.

14. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jul 23, 2009

My school is super with technology stuff, especially compared to other districts in the county.

We have a lot of SmartBoards (don't know how many district wide), wireless slates so you can write on the SmartBoard w/o standing in front of the screen (available, but not with every SB), every teacher has a desktop, mobile laptop lab, computer lab (one per building at least), tv/vcr, overhead projector, pull down screen, CPS clickers (an inservice was done on these in June: every participant got a class set), IPod Touch (again PD in June), and a distance learning setup. I don't know what else our tech dept has, but he is awesome about getting things for us to use.

15. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Jul 23, 2009

For the record, I would lick my principal's feet for a SMART Board. ;)

16. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2009

Each classroom has a desktop computer for the teacher, and most have 1-2 student computers (some, including mine, are ancient--I'm pretty sure it's running Windows 95!). Also, everybody has an overhead projector and screen. We have a computer lab and two wireless laptops with projectors that are on carts. Several TV/VCR/DVDs are on carts throughout the building.

My wish list: telephones and a document camera (I think I would probably love a Smart Board, but know very little about them)

17. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2009

We are 1:1 laptops meaning every student and every teacher has a tablet laptop computer. I also have an overhead projector, pulldown screen, TV with cable and VCR/DVD, and a projector. With the tablet laptop, I have no use for a Smartboard so I gave mine away. We also have wireless internet and a wireless color printer in the library as well as a wireless copier in the workroom.

18. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 23, 2009

I have document camera, LCD projector, DVD/VCR combo hooked up to projector, teacher computer, 6 student computers, and I have my own personal laptop. School gave all teachers old dell laptops but they are pretty crappy. I have a macbook so I hook that up to my projector.

19. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Jul 23, 2009

I'm so sick of the work TECHNOLOGY!!! Our school has gone way overboard with technology, we have a 1:1 Apple initiative...AKA all our kids have computers. I'm not saying technology is bad...but when a school our size (500 students K-12) is buying this much technology in 2 years it's insane! We just don't have the money!

Anyway...

-3 Smartboards K-12
    -Every teacher has a Mac Laptop
    -All students 5th-12th have a Mac Laptop
    -Each grade level 1st-4th has a mobile lab of 20ish Mac Laptops
    -We have projectors to hook up to our laptops at each grade level
    -Before we started the laptops we had a brand new computer lab with about 25 PCs

20. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 23, 2009

I also have a class set of Turning Point remotes (voters). They are awesome. We can turn any web site with multiple questions into an interactive testing site. I also have a Promethean ACTIVboard, but it's sitting in the back of my room. 3-5 classrooms replaced them with wireless writing pads that we use on our screens. I like this much better than having to stand at the board.

21. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 23, 2009

Have you checked out his/her feet first? You might change your mind after seeing them! :p

22. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Jul 23, 2009

I have a new Acer desktop pc with a projector (1 of 3 in my elem. school), and 3 student desktops that are older than dirt. I seriously believe that they are from the early 90s. I WOULD LOVE to have a smartboard...some day maybe

We also have to share as a school (K-12) is a mobile lab of 30 laptops and we have a lab (that you can hardly get into other than your scheduled specials time) in our elem. that has about 30 desktops.

23. Lionteacher

Lionteacher Companion

Jul 23, 2009

I have 2 IBM computers, 1 working overhead projector and 1 non working overhead projector, a TV, phone, and DVD/VCR player.

I also have a digital camera, 3 disc CD player with iPod hook up and an iPod but these are my personal items.

My principal is working on getting all the classrooms LCD projectors and laptops for the projectors and teacher use. If this doesn't work I am saving for an LCD of my own to use because it makes life so much easier.

24. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 23, 2009

Get a Mimio ... cheaper and does the same stuff.

25. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 23, 2009

Get a Mimio ... cheaper and does the same stuff. AND, doesn't take up wall space ... makes your whiteboard interactive ... if you don't use it, you still have your whiteboard.

26. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Jul 23, 2009

I was reluctant to open this thread because I will be working in an urban school in the fall and know that most of this technology will not be available to me or my students.

It seems a shame that this is the case, because I know the kids would enjoy having access to it.

27. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2009

I have a Mac laptop and a projector for it. I have the old-fashioned overhead projector too. I have a dusty old iMac (blue one) in the corner that has never been turned on...I think it's ready for a museum. We have a laptop cart that travels around the building. We have to share 25 computers on that cart among 20 classrooms. We sign up for it.
    I wish we could have more computers for our students. Still, I know I need to be grateful for what we do have and I am.

28. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Jul 23, 2009

This thread is depressing me. At my school each teacher has a desktop. Each class also has a TV and VCR/DVD combo. Beyond that, we don't have much. One digital camera to be shared by all staff. No SmartBoards, no telephones, no document cameras, and I don't think any of us even has a student computer that actually works (I had two in my room last year that I got rid of because neither worked). We have one school computer lab, but it's very slow, and the computers are pretty old. We also have one laptop and one projector on a cart for all staff to share.

29. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Jul 23, 2009

We have 3 computers and a printer. I have access to laptops and a projector if I want it. We are supposed to get smartboards K-2 (3-5 already has them). We also have a phone, overhead, tv, and vcr/dvd combo.

30. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 23, 2009

We have teacher computers (newly upgrades), 1-2 printers, 5 student computers, a tv (hooked to the computer) and close circuited to the district and school library. After this year probably 90% of us will have projectors and I am sure once we all have them the technology grants will turn to smartboards. We also have a fully equipped computer lab and the science lab has a smartboard, lots of interactive technology including a cool projector microscope :) We also have phones in every room and a camera for each grade level.

31. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2009

I have two computers (one connected to TV), an overhead projector, DVD/VCR player. For those of you with one computer, I am taking an online class (Integrating the Internet into K-2 Language Arts Curriculum) and we were provided with this websites that has a multitude of links which give tips of the one computer class. Some of the links may no longer work, but I did get some good ideas. http://facweb.furman.edu/~pecoy/mfl195/onecomputer.html#ideas

32. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Jul 24, 2009

Scooter, I agree.
    All of the teachers in my building have a laptop (mac... couple versions). I had to allow my students to use it for part of their literacy intervention last year because the desktop mac in my room is so old that IF you can con it into turning on, it's soooooo old it doesn't support most programs.
    There are 5 tvs on carts (with VCRs and DVDs) around the building. 1 projector in the library that can be signed out.
    1 cart of laptops in the library that can also be signed out. (but they pretty much live down in the 5-6 wing)
    1 digital camera in the library for staff to share - when it's working and the librarian approves your use of it.
    I have a pull down screen and an overhead projector. Not everyone has one and they have stopped allowing budget funds to replace them when they die.

33. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 24, 2009

My school is the technology pilot for our district.

Every student has his own laptop, as does each teacher.

In our classroom, we each have a Smartboard, a document camera, a portable CD player, eInstruction, headphones, microphones, etc.

We also have digital cameras and podcasting equipment available to check out.

This year we are writing a grant for webcams.

34. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2009

My classroom has four desktops, my laptop (which is mine to keep), a digital projector, an overhead projector, and whiteboards (which, like Alice, I use a lot as well :))

We also have two Smartboards (one in the large group room, one in the computer techology room), and an Elmo, which is in the library but which we can check out to use.

35. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2009

I have a computer and phone at my desk. I have a doc camera and projector. The dvd/vcr goes through the projector onto the screen. I had a student computer in my room, but one computer for 25 kids just caused a lot of "when is it my turn?', so I gave my computer (as did 4 others on our team) to one teacher so she could have a computer station.
    Our school has a computer lab that also has a doc cam and smart board. I don't know how to use it though.

36. NJArt

NJArt Comrade

Jul 24, 2009

In my room the school provided one computer and a projector and screen. I purchased an additional computer with money earned through selling merchandise with student artwork online. Regular classrooms typically have about 3 computers in them, and they are gradually all getting a projector and screen. (about half the rooms have them so far). The school has 2 computer labs that the classes use according to a schedule.

37. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2009

In my district we only have a teacher computer, telephone, tv/VCR/DVD, and we can request a regular old overhead projector that will stay in out class for the year. There are document cameras and projectors and other things, but there's maybe two or three and we all have to share.

38. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 24, 2009

Oooo, what are you hoping to do with webcams ... fun!

39. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 24, 2009

My room has:
    1. Desktop PC for teacher w/internet through county
    2. Old laptop that I raced to get my hands on and internet w/that
    3. LED projector hooked to that laptop, DVD/VCR
    4. Wireless tablet (can't think of its name - SchoolPad?)
    5. Pulldown screen
    6. Overhead projector

All rooms have a PC (all new this year due to stimulus money), overhead projector, LED projector, pull down screen, DVD/VCR.

Some teachers have the projectors ceiling mounted along with some brand or another of white board. There are 2-3 portable white boards but they are usually assigned for the year. Multiple document cameras can be signed out for limited times.
    2 computer labs - one is PC the other is dual MAC/PC machines
    Some teachers have printers - county will no longer supply ink cartridges for ink jets -, some have laser printers. There is a laser printer in the library (black only and only for small number of pages), a copier/scaner in office. We can send our jobs there electroncially, scan to a folder to use in class. Color laser in office - use is strictly monitored. Guidance and Sped. have their own copiers/printers (old). CPS clickers - several sets in the school.

40. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 25, 2009

Interdisciplinary units with two (or more) concurrent classes
    School wide, real time distance tutoring (so the math teacher can teach multiple classes during study hall)
    Interviews (and such) with real world experts
    Evening tutoring with teachers at home

Those are just some basic ideas. If you think of any more, let me know. LOL.

Our district has a foundation that provides schools with up to $5000 in grant money each year, so we're going to go through that.

41. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 25, 2009

WOW! How cool! How useful!
    I'll keep thinking.