Technology...Ugghhhh!!!!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by sundrop, Aug 28, 2008.

1. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Aug 28, 2008

I am fed up with technology right now and that's not good since I am a computer teacher!!! I am really fed up with homeroom teachers who seem to see my job as unimportant. I feel as though I will never be able to crack through the hardened exterior of these teachers who are bound and determined not to use technology with their students. I have been trying for the last 5 years to show them cool sites, things to do with the digital cameras, ppt shows that they can use to teach different subjects. The principal is also trying to encourage the teachers to realize that they are teaching children in a digital age and the way we teach must reflect that. One of my co-workers actually questioned whether using technology really involves "using any thinking skills because all you have to know is which button to press." Yet, when their classroom computer (the one they never let the students touch) isn't working they are right on my doorstep complaining because they can't check their email.

How do I (Can I) get through to these teachers without constantly nagging them and without further irritating them? Should I even bother to try? Ugghhh!!!

3. dbelmo

dbelmo Rookie

Aug 28, 2008

Suggest to the Principal to have copies of the The World Is Flat -- Or have a presentation with the statistics from the book.

We can't fight tech. we have to use it!!! to keep the attention of our audience -the students!!!!

dbelmo

**** Maybe have a contest for the lesson that uses tech. best.--- you can give away a jumpjive!! or if there is extra money available (I know I am dreaming) get an ipod donated and show the teachers how to make flashcards using the picture format!!!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  4. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Aug 28, 2008

Unfortunately, they will probably never change. It could be fear that they will not be able to keep up, maybe their heads are in the sand when it comes to technology, or could be they are comfortable in what they are doing and resent having to change. But, your principal is right. We need to be able to keep up to date with technology because we do teach in a computer age. As with a tech. class, of all the skills a student will need when they enter the work force...computer skills will top the list.
    I am sure there are some teachers at your school who appreciate what you do..I would love to have someone show me some neat and appropriate websites, plus help implementing my prom. board.

5. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 28, 2008

Another source to compliment _The World is Flat_ is a video titled "Did you Know 2.0" You can get the video on TeacherTube. It's a Karl Fisch production ... you'd probably groove on his blog, the Fischbowl. Good stuff.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 28, 2008

I wish you were at our school.... We have a new tech teacher and she does not know how to do ANYTHING!!!!! I know more than her and I am new to Macs! We can't even print anything (which makes things difficult- kids are already back). I e-mailed her and told her I know how to program the computers if she had the password. She has the password but it "awaiting permission." :down: Whatever- I think she doesn't want to admit she has no idea what she is doing (our P warned us to be patient because she has no computer experience and is not certified in the area).

Anyway, to solve your problem, maybe try to give examples of things they can do with technology. Maybe they don't realize the vast possibilities!

7. Kindtchr

Kindtchr Comrade

Aug 28, 2008

In CT teachers have to have technology CEUs to renew our certification (in most grades). Our school has brought in presenters to help us with using smartboards. We were able to get a grant for it & were required to develop lessons. Our end of the year faculty meeting included a "show & tell" of samples of our lessons.

I agree that the teachers need to be shown examples of ways that technology can make things faster/easier/more exciting for students. I have been teaching for over 25 years & love learning ways to teach smarter- not harder. My daughter is starting her first year of teaching & can do amazing things with technology!

Some of our newer teachers show what they can do with techogy & it gets the rest of us excited!:2up:

Good luck!:)

8. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 28, 2008

It takes thinking skills. You have to think... DON'T CLICK ON THAT!! IT IS A VIRUS!! Apparently, I don't have that thinking skill... lol A very convincing program turned into a virus and I'm waiting on a higher up tech person to come fix my school computer. So, word of advice... if you see the program ANTIVIRUS 2009 pop up... DO NOT CLICK YES TO RUN!!!!!! IT IS THE VIRUS!! Done with the PSA and have made many person notes to self on that topic... LOL

9. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Aug 28, 2008

Sundrop,

I feel your frustration! I work at an arts and technology magnet school. The first year of the magnet program I felt your pain, and this year the district placed two teachers at our school with almost no tech experience. I started with showing teachers a document camera. Then we used a streaming video site. Some teachers I had to come help them set up everything, but they did it. We do tech staff training at staff meetings (I get one every month). Teachers get a brief how to and then they work with another teacher to develop the material to use in their classes.
    We can brainstorm more ideas if you would like. I have a teacher this year that I spent an hour teaching her how to open a laptop, turn it on, and to connect to our wireless at school.

10. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Aug 28, 2008

That stinks! My school district is HUGE on technology. So big, that they ask you all sorts of questions about it in the interview process. If you don't use technology then they won't hire you. We have all the technology we could want. I wish teachers who are so against technology would give it a chance and realize how WONDERFUL using technology in the classroom is.

11. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Aug 29, 2008

Thanks for all of the great ideas and nice comments. I know the teachers who use this forum are also pretty big users of technology in the classroom. It makes me happy to read about all of the wonderful things you do. I guess that is part of the reason why I get frustrated with my co-workers. I know what the possibilities are. In the past, I have tried to offer tips and ideas to them, but they aren't open to that. So, this year I am going to have to fill my computer classes with just that many more opportunities for the students on my own. It is unfortunate, but it is the reality of the situation.

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2008

How random! I showed that video to all my classes just this week!

It's a GREAT video.