technology stuff

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Tch4th, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Tch4th

Tch4th Rookie

Sep 15, 2011

I've been asked to compile a technology wish list for our elementary building. What do you have at your school that you couldn't live without? What do you wish you had? I'm assuming that money is no object!:lol:

3. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Sep 15, 2011

Smartboard. I miss it so much-my new school doesn't have one :(

I'd also like projectors in every classroom-we have to "rent" them out when we want to use them!

Document camera-so much better than a transparency or displaying a PDF

4. Tch4th

Tch4th Rookie

Sep 15, 2011

Thanks so much! I agree; how did we ever teach without SmartBoards?!

5. KateL

KateL Habitué

Sep 15, 2011

I agree with the projector for every classroom, preferably wired in with a convenient station for plugging in a laptop to the system. I also love my document camera. We also have Qomo tablets that let us control the computer while walking around the room. If money is really no object, see if they will get you a few laptop carts with enough laptops for your largest classes.

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 16, 2011

[FONT=""][COLOR=""][SIZE=""]Cameras
    Video cameras
    Software for making movies[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

7. traveler

traveler Comrade

Sep 16, 2011

Smartboard, projector,
    laptops (or iPads or iTouches) for each student

8. a_apple_z_zebra

a_apple_z_zebra Rookie

Sep 16, 2011

Smart Boards
    solid image projectors
    student laptops/netbooks
    student response system (aka "clickers")

Also, don't forget about software and online curricula. These can make a HUGE difference implementing RTI and interventions. I LOVE Accelerated Reader when it's used correctly and it has made a tremendous difference in my students over the years!

9. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Sep 16, 2011

I got an ipad from my school this year and in conjunction with the promethean board, the students love it!

10. SJU_MAN

SJU_MAN Rookie

Sep 16, 2011

In my opinion you should definitely get the following:

-An ELMO document camera (It's very versatile, especially if you don't have much technology in your classroom)

-A projector (Great if your school can't afford a SMARTboard)

-Laptops

-SMARTboards

-iPads

11. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Sep 17, 2011

1. SMARTboards with projector
    2. Lumens (Displays any item on SMARTBOARD)
    3. SMART Response systems (clickers)--These are great!--Try to get as many class sets of 32 as you can afford and think you will use. Make sure you offer the training so that teachers see
    the great benefits and will use them.
    4. SMARTBOARD bulbs (These bulbs aren't cheap--about $300/bulb. What good is having a SMARTBOARD when the proxima bulbs go out? Bulbs usually last 1-2 years depending on usage. I'd make sure you have some in reserve as they usually take a couple of weeks to order.
    5. SMARTBOARD installation--get this done right so the cords are out of the way and work correctly.

*Promethean (sp) has the best system for these products, but they also tend to be more expensive--it depends on your budget. SMART is still very good, but has less "bells and whistles".

Good luck,

Kevin

12. SJU_MAN

SJU_MAN Rookie

Sep 17, 2011

Sorry to hijack the thread here, but I have only heard of these "clickers," what can they be used for? Are they limited to only math units or can I use them for other subjects as well?

13. Tch4th

Tch4th Rookie

Sep 22, 2011

Wow! Thanks for all the replies!
    Every classroom teacher in our district has a SmartBoard (we are VERY fortunate), but I was glad to see that many of you are in favor of the response systems and iPads. We currently only have one set of clickers and one iPad for the use of three grade levels! :eek: I definitely passed those requests along to my P and Super, along with the request for an entire second lab. We'll see what happens....
    Thanks again!

14. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Sep 22, 2011

Ugh this is making me so sad! My old school had laptops for every student, a projector, a smartboard, and an Elmo document camera....sigh. My new school barely has a transparency projector.

15. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Sep 22, 2011

I wish I had a smartboard! (and an ELMO to go w/ it.) I also wish I had a work laptop, they had that at the school where I student taught.

We did just get ipads though and I love them. (for student and teacher use)

I saw this thing in Lakeshore the other day that is a set of passes but they have timers on them. I'd like those too, I have a few kids this year that spend wayyyy too long in the bathroom. But they were like $60 and I couldn't warrant spending that much time just because I have some wanderers. lol

16. readingrules12

Sep 22, 2011

Clickers are wonderful! They can be used for math, anything that has multiple choice answers, or matching. They can have words, but the "clickers" I use don't have a keyboard just old fashioned texting where you have to hit a key three times to get the letter "c". I haven't bothered with that feature. There are clickers with regular keyboards and ones that actually send the question to the clicker if you have a promethean board.

They have been awesome! I get lots of my math and objective items graded that way. The students get instant feedback and both they and I love that. Also, I don't miss my large stack of papers to grade. Sure, I still grade essays, and check steps in math etc. It can't do everything, but it does a lot!

It is also great for math games, surveys, seeing which students understand items and which don't in an instant. Also, you can see which problem students are currently on as well. I use one of the sets we have at school about 3 days/week--although never all day.

Kevin

17. SJU_MAN

SJU_MAN Rookie

Sep 22, 2011

They sound fantastic! I wonder though, have you found them beneficial to those students who may be too shy to raise their hand? Also, are they of any value for kids who may be slower in math than others? By this I mean, do the clickers allow you to identify those who have a hard time understanding a concept more quickly than usual?

18. readingrules12

Sep 22, 2011

Yes, they do. There is a button that has a question mark that they can press when they have a question. They seem to be very willing to press on this as no one sees them do this. I can just pretend that I am making my rounds to check on students while I go to the ones who pressed the ? that shows up at my laptop.

The Promethean clickers are better in letting you know if they are having a hard time. They allow you to see instantly who has missed a question. The SMART ones don't allow you to see the results until they are finished.

The way it really helps me to help the lower ones is instant feedback. As soon as they are done, I can see which questions each child missed, and which questions that each child had the most trouble with.

I would suggest trying out a set. SMART let me try out a set free for 2 weeks. I found out they are really great and very easy to use.

Kevin