Technology special

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by teacherguy111, Nov 16, 2018.

1. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Nov 16, 2018

I just passed the technology/computer test, so now I have a k-12 license in Ohio for the area. I really wish my district had a special class for elementary school. Does your district have that? I don't think we have plans for it anytime soon. Even though we have shifted into blended learning at all levels.

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 16, 2018

:celebrate:
    Congratulations!​

We are starting to offer some technology classes at my school to help students gain an industry credential as a graduation pathway. Our teacher is on loan to us via a grant.

4. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Nov 16, 2018

My district does not have any technology classes for K-6. Each grade has chromebooks or tablets to use, but there is not a teacher specific to teach technology skills.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 16, 2018

I know our elementary schools have had technology classes a few times, but those positions aren’t always offered. My DH is a computer teacher. He has grades 6 to 8. My school has two. One just teaches chrome book skills. The other teaches a variety of computer applications.

6. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Nov 16, 2018

Two of the schools I've worked in have had technology as a "special" but it's been staffed by paras.

7. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Nov 17, 2018

The 6-8 school I used to teach at had a technology special, but I don't think I've ever seen a technology special at a K-6 school around here. (And congratulations on your new certification!)

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 18, 2018

We used to have tech lab time, but it wasn’t a special. There was a tech teacher in the lab who helped with projects. Now we have gone to grade level tech carts. Tech is woven into the curriculum as a tool, not as a special area. Our tech teacher became the STEM lab teacher.

9. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Nov 18, 2018

My middle school has computers as one of the specials.
    As far as I know it is not one of the specials in the elementary schools.

In the district I live in they had it as an elementary special up until about five years ago and then they dropped it. The middle school has tech ed which is mainly computer based as opposed to "shop" based but no computer special.