Technology questions

Discussion in 'ESL/ELL' started by runsw/scissors, May 29, 2014.

1. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 29, 2014

The district I am joining also is doing strategic planning for the use of iPads by ELL teachers at the elementary level. Right now it is in the piloting(?) stage. The district is asking for teachers who are willing to use iPads in their daily lessons to please volunteer. The requirements would be to keep data, communicate with other ELL teachers in the district, utilize various district technology resources, report findings, and become a touchpoint person in the future and lead professional development in this area.

Frankly, I'm not sure I want to do this as it is my first year as an ELL teacher. I think I'm going to have enough to keep myself busy just trying to figure out what I'm doing. At the same time, I wonder if volunteering to use the iPad is really such a big thing since I don't have any past experience and will be starting from scratch anyway. It also makes me look good to the district.

I just want to be certain I can commit to this all-in rather than have my efforts fizzle part way through the year because I'm in over my head. I've looked online and can't find much information about how interactive technology other than Smart Boards are used in ELL classrooms. Any ideas would be appreciated.:thanks:

3. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 30, 2014

I would probably not do it. As a new teacher you will have enough to deal with, and using iPads in the classroom will mean added time to plan to figure things lout and a LOT of time spent on gathering and analyzing data and collaborating. I'd leave it for the 2nd year.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 30, 2014

I think I would probably do it. You will be joining and learning with other first time users of the technology and can collaborate and help each other.

The actual data collection may be easier because it will be online. You would have fingertip resources available to you that other teachers would not have. I think it could set you up to be a tech leader.

Like you said, it is a way to show your P how versatile and flexible you are.

Also, it would be fun.

5. Rox

Rox Cohort

Jun 2, 2014

If you were to struggle with using the iPad, that would be valuable data to share with other teachers and the district. Too often, districts distribute iPads and expect people to figure it out on their own. They need to provide training to teachers on how to use it effectively in the classroom.

6. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Jun 2, 2014

I think it should depend on your overall comfort level with technology: are you someone who usually "gets it" and learns new systems and apps quickly, or do you tend to get stuck and frustrated? If you are generally comfortable with new tech, I would say go for it. In my experience, ELLs need so much visual input, and the iPad could make it easier for you to run PowerPoints and annotate as you move around the room (if you have a smartboard or wireless capability). I am actually working on finding ways to incorporate an iPad in my modern language classroom, so if you do go for it, we can share ideas!

7. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Jun 2, 2014

Well, how excited are you about using this new technology in the classroom? I happen to really like new technology and figuring out how to use it in innovative ways, so I would jump at the chance! (In fact, I just piloted the use of chromebooks in my district, though it sounds like mine was a much more informal arrangement and a smaller district.)

If you think it would be overwhelming, then pass. You don't want to volunteer just to look good then have it not pan out the way you wanted and have negative attention instead! If you already have a personal iPad (or even iPhone), then it might be really easy to pick up. If you're learning the device for the first time, however, it may take a little longer, even though they are quite user friendly.

8. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 4, 2014

I'm not always a fan of new technology. It took a LTS position for me to begin feeling competent with the ELMO. I'm still not a fan of using Smart Boards because I don't know what I'm doing, and half the time they don't want to behave. However, I do have an iPad Mini and have a better understanding of how they work. I could also take it home and practice with it (i.e. have my step-sons teach me what to do). I'd like to use some technology with these kiddos. Right now my small room has nothing.

I e-mailed the director of the program and told her that the idea intrigues me but that I worry about committing to more than I can follow through on. I have no idea how this first year in ELL will play out; I'm a first-year teacher in every way but the graduation date. I have a tendency to take on lots of projects that sound fun/interesting/beneficial and then get overwhelmed. I don't want that to happen with a study, so I told her if she ABSOLUTELY didn't have enough other teachers on board to let me know. She e-mailed back that this was a step-ahead program and I could jump in when I felt ready so I'm going to focus on figuring out the basics this year.

Thanks for all your input everyone!