Technology Lab

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MissKH81, Jul 1, 2009.

1. MissKH81

MissKH81 Rookie

Jul 1, 2009

We do not have a technology teacher, but we do have a technology lab with 30 computers. Each class will be given the opportunity to utilize the lab for 40 minutes each week under the guidance from the teacher.I will have about 32 students next year so I plan on using parent volunteers.

We do not have a curriculum to follow, so do you have any ideas on how I can effectively/creatively utilize this lab? Our school does not have a whole lot of money so I cannot buy expensive programs. Do you know of cheap programs? Here are some ideas I have thus far:

Keyboarding lessons
    Webquests to supplement science/social studies
    Math/LA websites containing games to enhance curriculum

3. janney

janney Cohort

Jul 1, 2009

What grade do you teach? About how much previous experience with computers have your students had? Do you think that most of your students have computers at home?

4. MissKH81

MissKH81 Rookie

Jul 2, 2009

They are 3rd grade students. And yes, I believe that they all have computers at home. They have had some keyboarding and know VERY basic features of microsoft word.

5. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jul 2, 2009

The keyboarding lessons are always good, as they are basically 1 or 2 finger keyboarders at this age, but do you feel qualified to teach them that for 30 minutes? You could choose a pattern to teach and then allow them to practice. There are a few free keyboarding lessons on line that you could also use.

6. janney

janney Cohort

Jul 2, 2009

I would spend a couple of days with keyboarding practice just so they have the idea of where their fingers go. After that, I would leave it up to them if they want to type that way or not. I would spend the rest of the time having them create things. They can make brochures, a class newspaper, conduct surveys and make spreadsheets to show their data, make powerpoints, if you have access to a digital camera they can make and edit a video presentation etc. With each project, you could spend a little time showing shortcuts and show them how to use the help features in the programs. I know that when I first started using computers a lot of what I learned was from exploring on my own. At this age, it's more important that they are seeing how computers can help them do tasks (besides internet chatting) and relating it to what they are doing in the classroom.