Technology in Your Classroom

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by chemteach55, Mar 24, 2008.

1. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Mar 24, 2008

I am doing a presentation this summer on technology in the classroom and was wondering if anyone has a unique way that they are using technology. Also if you could have one piece of equipment in your class to allow you to incorporate technology into your lesson plans, what would that be? Thanks in advance for your help.

3. manatee23

manatee23 Rookie

Mar 24, 2008

Ohhh, the school I am at has technology in the classroom to the 10th power, and having come from a school where you had to fight for an overhead projector, it is beyond wonderful! Every room is outfitted with an LCD projector in the wall, audio enhancements, 6 ceiling speakers, VHS/DVD combo units and my personal favorite the digi-cam (a real time color camera that replaces the old overheads). We also have Interwrite systems which, if you had to present one thing about technology in the classroom, I would look into that. They allow you to walk around the room while writing “notes” through the projector. You can print what you write and you can hand it off to students for them to participate in problem solving. The Chemistry and Physics teachers at our school get really great response for them as it takes doing problems with the kids to a new level. They can even be used to play review games with student buzzers and all. Just an all around innovative addition to the classroom I can’t say enough good about.

4. jsfowler

jsfowler Companion

Mar 26, 2008

Our school is a 21st Century School. All our classrooms have the following equipment:

Plasma TV, airliner, document cam, response clickers, teacher mic, surround sound, VCR/DVD combo, teacher computer station, Turning Point program, and alot of software.

I love it...I use it every day! Everything is connected so I just turn on the main power and get goin'!

My favorite thing is the airliner because I can walk around the room and still control everything. I can make a powerpoint and add "notes" or diagrams as we go by using the airliner. Students can use it for virtual labs. It's great.

I love how student-friendly the technology is. It is not just for me to use. They use the mic, doc cam, and airliner to do student presentations, they get to use the response clickers. My students also know how to use turning points to create quizes for the response clickers. I have a student-centered classroom and this technology allows me to bring it to a whole new level.

5. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Mar 26, 2008

Our kids get laptops to take home. We have tablet PC's, and SMARTBoards in our classrooms.
    We are a technology school, and all of our notes, quizzes, and tests are made available online.

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 26, 2008

I'm not sure what is actually "unique" about how I use it since it's just part of what I do, but I can tell you what I have in my classroom.

SmartBoard
    projector
    TV with VHS/DVD and cable (all wired to SmartBoard, too)
    three desktop computers with internet
    subscriptions to several sites like unitedstreaming & brainpop
    AirLiner slate
    audio enhancement
    document camera
    student responders ("clickers")

We have 17 "smart" classrooms. I also have a cart with 30 laptops with wireless internet.

7. Mr. Windchill

Mr. Windchill Rookie

Mar 26, 2008

We're told we are a 21st century school--or we've been selected to be--but comparing the standard equipment in all of our rooms to yours we're more like 18th century.

8. jsfowler

jsfowler Companion

Mar 27, 2008

Where do you teach (state)? What grant did you receive? What do you have?

9. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Mar 27, 2008

My school uses monks as scribes in our classrooms.

In reality, I bought my own projector (two in fact, the first died) and laptop for my room. The Interwrite tablets were provided by the school and I adore that.

I would say, however, that any presentation on technology should focus more on the CONTENT of the technology. It makes me angry to see what schools with tons of technology are doing with it. Our brand new high school is LOADED with tech and the best the kids get out of it is a powerpoint using one of the 10 preset backgrounds that is nothing but text and two pieces of clipart.

So, in any presentation I'd challenge them to think about the content they hope to get out of the technology. That is what really drives it.

10. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Mar 27, 2008

I am trying to focus on the things that can be done with technology. I get aggravated by many of the teachers in my own school. We are a 1:1 laptop school. Each student is issued a laptop at the beginning of their freshman year and keep it until their senior year. We have had this technology for the last 15 years so this is not new but teachers still think that using PowerPoint is using technology. I am planning on focusing on ways to use technology in the 21st century classroom such as ePals, video conferencing, Skype, blogs, wikis, Google Earth, Pod Casts, and even ways to incorporate FaceBook or MySpace. If anyone has any other ideas, please contribute.

11. jsfowler

jsfowler Companion

Mar 27, 2008

We do epals and video conferencing (we correspond with an 8th grade class in PA), I have also used Google Earth and watched Pod Casts (especially with NASA). Wikis is something my students have mentioned interest in but haven't done it so far. I will research that this summer. I would be interested in how you would use MySpace and FaceBook - both are blocked at our school. I would probably not go near that with a 10 foot pole due to all the negative comments/images.

12. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Mar 27, 2008

I find educational games that I can play with my students to show them the main points of the lesson.

For example, I had a projector hooked up to the school's laptop. I had to do a lesson on blood typing. I happen to have found an awesome game to play with them where their doctors, have to take the blood of the patients, and do testing to figure out what blood type the patients are: http://nobelprize.org/educational_games/medicine/landsteiner/index.html

13. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Mar 27, 2008

Do you like ePals? That is one that I have not used but loked interesting and might try to do something with it next year? As for FaceBook/MySpace, our technology teacher already uses this in his classroom. We are also blocked but can get a temporary password that will unblock sites that we choose for one class period. I was thinking of using the FaceBook or MySpace format to have them make a site for a famous scientist.

14. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Mar 27, 2008

I love this site also--I do not tteach biology but do use it for a middle school science camp that I do every summer.

15. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Mar 27, 2008

I have a couple of 27" TVs in my room I hook them up to my lap top. When the projector in not being used I hook it up to my lap top. I also use a Web cam when I demonstrate drafting. That way I can draw and have it show up on the screen, Power point is great on the TVs or the screen and since I run it through a VCR I can record it too and sent it home with students who don't have a computer but have a VCR.

16. jsfowler

jsfowler Companion

Mar 27, 2008

I like ePals because it helps you locate other classrooms to connect with. However, after a while one teacher (from PA) and I simply started corresponding independently and connected our classroom via e-mails, videos, and webcams during our coal unit.

In May, I am doing a Global Warming unit and I know there is a community on ePals just for global warming. I may join and really follow the program through.

17. jsfowler

jsfowler Companion

Mar 27, 2008

Chemteach55 - you got me thinking so much about technology that I just opened a wikispace. I have 4 weeks of school after testing and during that time my students and I are going to learn how to get the most out of our wikispace.

PS...they are free for K-12 educators!

18. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Mar 28, 2008

I do this with my kids (myspace.com/martinlutherroxmysox for an example) even though we are blocked. I just have them do the layout on paper and if they have access at home they can post it for extra credit.

From all the tech I've played with the one that offers the most promise in my view is blogging with comments. The problem is finding a blog site that allows the owner to approve comments before posting or has a built in language filter. I've yet to find one yet that works with our filter. Next best I'd say is Google Earth. Our network is too dang slow to run it well but I've seen some amazing things with it (show the historic maps overlay to history folk and they'll go nuts!) Podcasting, wikis, etc. for whatever reason have not shown much to me in terms of results.

If you want to see what I've done with my classroom blog or the instructions I give for the myspace assignment you can visit my website in my profile.

19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 28, 2008

20. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Mar 29, 2008

I do now :p

I'll look into it, thanks!

21. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Mar 29, 2008

I don't know if you want an 2nd grade example, but here is what I use daily in my classroom.

First, my most prized electronic possession is my projector that was placed in my room this year through a grant. I use it every day, at least 2 times a day. I use it to show unitedstreaming clips, powerpoint lessons, e-instruction, Knowledgebox, and more.
    My wireless mouse is also a no brainer with that. It's nice to walk around the room without being stuck at the computer.

Other items of technology that I use everyday:
    3 student computers-The only time a student is not on these computers is if I'm teaching whole class, or we're taking a test. Our school district uses programs such as SucessMaker, KnowledgeBox, Imagine Learning, and Harcourt Math. I also use a few other CD-Rom games or books to enhance what we're learning in the classroom.

e-instruction
    -I've used e-instruction for the past 4 years in my 2nd grade classroom. Usually people I talk to at the high school level, and even in the company itself, are surprised my students respond so well to the program. I can use it with any subject, and use it everyday.

Listening Station
    -Okay, this one might be contained to lower elementary. My listening station is a tape/CD/DVD combo. I use this everyday that we can.

Various Programs-Looking above at the list of programs we use on the student computers, you can see that we use a lot of different types of technology programs. Then there are the various websites that I use with my students.

TV/VCR/DVD
    -Usually I use the computer or listening station to show videos. I don't show very many videos that are longer than 30 minutes (hello Magic School Bus-on unitedstreaming), but we have access to TV's with VHS/DVD players. We usually keep them in a closet in the Science Lab, which is right across the hall from my room.

22. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Mar 29, 2008

I need an examples that I can get becuase my audience could be K-12 teachers or principals. My questions is--what is e-instruction? This is one that i have never heard of. Thanks so much for your reply.

23. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Mar 29, 2008

e-instruction is a classroom response (performance) system. Click the link to find out more about it. Their website has a lot of examples.

I can create quizzes, games, and more to have students respond. It automatically grades it. Lots of middle school and high school texts have the ExamView option, which are lessons created in e-instruction straight from the text.

24. jsfowler

jsfowler Companion

Mar 29, 2008

We have something similar called Turning Points.

25. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Mar 29, 2008

1. My kids all have Macbook computers which we use daily I have made all my worksheets avaliable on the school server so that if they wish to type the worksheets instead of handwriting them they can do so. They do however have to print them out and hand them in for grading--I cannot stand grading things from the computer.
    2. We have a program that allows me to shut off their internet access and only allow the use of certain programs. I find this useful when I give them tests and quizzes as all tests and quizzes I give using exam view. It is their choice if they want to use the computer to take the tests/quizzes, however I still grade all essay/short answer/identifications by hand so I require those to be printed out and handed in, along with the test summary sheet they get after they complete the objective section of the particular test or quiz.
    3. The same program also allows me to put a movie or power point on using the projector and it shows up on each of their individual laptops.
    4. My kids do Web Quests all the time for each of the Units. I make my own or steal them from other teachers. (Like Wlydwall's phenomenal ones!)
    5. I give interactive lessons using the projector, smart board, and Power Point. I include video clips, animations, primary documents, etc. These are also avaliable on the school server and I encourage all my students to save a copy to their own computers.
    6. We also use something similar to e-instruction in which kids I can make interactive quizzes, games, and other activities and the kids can answer right from their clicker things and I can get real time feedback.
    7. We use garage band to create Historical Versions of Popular Tunes.
    8. Use the webcams on the Macbooks to conduct historical Interviews.

26. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Mar 29, 2008

What program are you using to do this? We use DyKnow.

27. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Mar 29, 2008

I played around with edublogs today and I really, really like it. Unfortunately due to the way my site is currently set up I don't think it is quite going to work for me. It just doesn't wanna play nice with my webhost. I'd have to link to it from my homepage and to me that feels sloppy.

Next year though I think I may set that up just for my class and have a public blog on my site as well. Thanks again for the link!

28. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Mar 29, 2008

I forget I, sorry!

29. Calliope

Calliope Companion

Apr 1, 2008

Wow. Technology? Whuh? No idea. My school rations out paper -- 2 packages/teacher a month. There is no paper in the copiers. I get 8 dry erase markers a year, a package of pens, 1 roll of tape, & a box of staples.

I cannot get a classroom set of markers or colored paper or colored paper. I cannot get packages of multi-colored dry erase markers to color-code my grammar lessons. I had to beg for a new dry eraser. And I could only have one, even though I have two enormous white boards that run the length of two entire walls.

Most of the time you can get an overhead projector, if you sign up early enough. I check out an LCD projector from the library & bring in my own portable DVD player when I want to show scenes from (my personal copy of) Romeo & Juliet.

30. eldoeducator

eldoeducator Rookie

Apr 28, 2008

Hey chemteach55!

You can watch this entire video "Effective Teaching with Classroom Videos" here:

schoolvideos.com/videos/evu01?cpn=vm&ext=az

Let me know if it helps you.

31. SSA

SSA Companion

May 1, 2008

:(

I guess you are proof that it is the best of times and it is the worst of times it just depends upon where the school is located. I am surprised that your school district can't afford to provide a projector in every classroom. 10 years ago having to share a projector was understandable, but the prices have fallen so much that I would think most schools could fit the acquisition and maintenance costs into their budgets provided that teachers remembered to keep the projectors off when not in use to save the life of the bulbs.

Quite a few of the schools I sub in are Title I schools and EVERY classroom I have seen has a projector and a smartboard so having a decent amount of technology in the classroom is possible even in less affluent areas.

If you aren't too embarrassed to say, where pray tell is this hellish sounding school located?

32. SSA

SSA Companion

May 1, 2008

I think that really annoys me as well. We spend all this money on stuff and a lot of kids really don't learn how to do anything with the technology short of learning how to become poorly paid office drones. While not everybody is going to become a "knowledge worker" our schools should at the very least allow students who are interested in becoming knowledge workers to acquire the skills.

Most high schools don't even offer students vocational coursework for entry level IT, never mind more academic computer science. Computers in the classroom shouldn't solely be about learning about computers, but to pretend that students wouldn't benefit from the information is foolish.

Kids have plenty of time to learn how to use M$ Office without wasting classtime to teach students other more useful academic/vocational material. I don't know what application will be popular in 10 years, but it is safe to say that they wouldn't look like anything we use today. The kid who spent a semester learning M$ Office 2003 just two years ago wouldn't have much advantage over the kid who did something more productive with his time in learning M$ Office 2007 today. Cookbook courses on using M$ Office are obsolete by design.

If you want to improve students skills for the job market we should focus on more timeless skills like how to write a business letter, a resume, etc. A lot of high school grads struggle to write a resume or a business letter.