Technology in the Special Education CLassroom

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by kaminskijp, Nov 3, 2004.

1. kaminskijp

kaminskijp New Member

Nov 3, 2004

Hello All
    I am a graduate student at Iona College in New York studying educational technology. One of the topics that I am intrested in is the use of technology in the special education classroom. Many studies have found that in regards to assessment technology tools have shown no progress in helping students acheive higher scores. Now, we all know that Assessment scores cannot fully judge if a student has learned or not. My question is where has technology helped your students? In my classsroom I have computers that read to students and a math remediation program that can detect exactly where students are having troubles. Also do you think that computers have have had really no effect on your students or have they greatly enhanced your teaching and your classroom. Thanks J.P. Kaminski

3. beetsjeep

beetsjeep Rookie

Nov 10, 2004

I teach in an Site Based Autism program at a junior high leve and computers have helped greatly in the classroom. Many of our kids have difficulty with fine motor and for them to be able to type what they need is a must in some cases. We use AlphaSmarts in the mainstream and also in our area. We also have IntelliTools, but I have not worked with that much because I haven't sat down to see how it works myself. From the looks of it though it could be quite helpful to the range of our students (low to high functioning kids). Computer skills are pretty much needed for just about anything in life beyond school and just having the kids work on the computers themselves to know how to operate them is a great skill. Because computer games are so cool, we have games that are academic based to reinforce skills. In regards to specifically regarding assessment, such as using technology to administer standardized assessments (e. reading test questions etc.) I do not have an opinion on the effects of that simply because I don't know (and I'm not sure if you're asking that or not, but I thought I would address it anyway!).

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Nov 10, 2004

I work at a school for kids w/ Autism... all kids have computers at least 1 hour a week, most 2-3 times... we use a wide range of programs... INtelliTools (basically talking word processor part, although some kids have onscreen keys to type their name) as well as TONS of programs to help them with focus and with academic skills... I see kids who won't do the work in the classroom that have no problems doing the SAME tasks on the computer... lots of our kids take a weekly spelling test on the computer instead of it being hand written... we use touch windows for our real low functioning kids, and they work towards mouse profeciency... we start with onscreen keys or a big keyboard or an overlay that has ONLY the letters in their name showing, and then proceed to using the regular keyboard...

Do you have more specific questions, or did I help you at all? ;)

5. kaminskijp

kaminskijp New Member

Nov 12, 2004

Hey thanks fo the reply it was very helpful.
    J.P.