Technology in the classroom

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Koko, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Koko

Koko New Member

Feb 20, 2008

How much technology should be in the classroom and what should it be used for?

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 20, 2008

I think it depends on what the teacher is comfortable using. I use the projector with my laptop often. At the start of the year I used starfall.com to reinforce letter recognition. Now I do whole group math games as a fun time for the students.

4. kburen

kburen Cohort

Feb 20, 2008

It depends on what's available. I use a projector just like jaime for websites like starfall.com and elmo's world (sorting games, number recognition, etc.) and other websites with games that help the kids with concepts. I also have a projector that has what we call an "arm" on it. It's basically like an overhead projector that you can hook to the computer or just use like an overhead. The difference between an overhead projector and this one is that you can put anything under it and it will work (some teachers have document cameras that do the same thing). I use this for MANY of my math lessons because the kids can stay in their seat or come to the carpet and everyone can see because it's projected on the board and noone has to push to get in the circle to see what's going on. I have computers in the back of the room that we don't use because they don't work well. I also use a digital camera often to take pictures of the work that the kids do for my portfolio.

5. MrH

MrH Rookie

Feb 20, 2008

It does depend on what you are comfortable with!
    I use computers a lot in my classroom! I use starfall, and various other computer "games" that the kids can use. I have trained the class how to correctly use the computers, and how to begin their "games". The only downfall is that 2 computers are older than my students! Sometimes they freeze and that is a pain... I'm crossing my fingers for new ones soon :)

6. Miss E.

Miss E. Rookie

Feb 20, 2008

I use an overhead projector a lot and computers. I also use a CD player (which also constitutes technology) During workshop times, I play classical music on low. The kids love the idea that they listen to music and seem to stay on task more. (even though they can't sing along! exactly my point! lol) They also LOVE the overhead projector; I photocopy almost all my worksheets, mostly math, on transparencies and they like to see me do the work along with them or even just to model and then check our papers!

7. Koko

Koko New Member

Feb 21, 2008

Thank you

Thank you to all who responded. I love to use technology with my students and some say I use too much. I'm glad to have your input.

8. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Feb 21, 2008

I don't think there is such a thing as too much technology in the 21st century, especially now with Web 2.0. I currently use iPods, projector w/computer, document camera w/projector, ActivBoard, and all kinds of sites like United Streaming etc and I use Photo Stories and Power Points all the time to use in class. My goals are to start a classroom blog w/the kids(the two sites below are for teachers) and more podcasting. Here is a link to my technology page.

9. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Feb 21, 2008

Hmmm...I wonder who would think you could be using too much technology in the classroom. Dare I venture a guess that it is someone who finds technology a little overwhelming?