technology in the classroom

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by eagerbeaver, May 7, 2007.

1. eagerbeaver

eagerbeaver Rookie

May 7, 2007

How do YOU use technology to enhance learning in the classroom?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 7, 2007

I am SO the wrong person to ask!!!! (Aside from the fact that I don't teach elementary.)

Give me some chalk and an eraser, and I'm good to go for the day. When I teach the older kids, throw in a calculator.

Yep, I'm a dinosaur!!

4. sllecompte

sllecompte Rookie

May 7, 2007

I am blessed with six computers in my room. We use a phonics program called HeadSprout during reading rotation. I also have a TV with a TVview. I have access to the website UnitedStreaming. I show videos that are directly related to the curriculum. I also use the video clips to make powerpoints. My TVview is helpful during reading also. I make slide shows out of my stories. The students seem to enjoy this better than me showing the pictures while I read. It is also a great tool to use for retellings.

5. jmeln

jmeln New Member

May 7, 2007

I am fortunate enough to have an LCD projector and a laptop in my classroom. I usually show powerpoints for vocabulary lessons, and I do use GoogleEarth to show things.

6. mhirsch

mhirsch Companion

May 10, 2007

7. katenar

katenar Cohort

May 11, 2007

We have 5 laptops and two desktops per classroom as well as an LCD projector, an elmo projector, digital camera and 4 recording headsets.

I use my computer to create my classroom webpage. On the webpage, I post student's art work that I take pictures of with the camera. We also have a program called Class Server and my kids take their spelling tests every Friday on that. They use the headsets to practice fluency and reading - they can record themselves and play it back. I create slideshows by the dozen for every subject I teach. I use the elmo for DOL and other things I don't have transparencies of. I have the students create slideshows of the vocabulary we are working on. They would need the word, definition, syllable breakdown, synonym, original sentence and a picture.

Those are just some ways that I can think of right now.

8. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

May 12, 2007

I have a lcd projector that is hooked up to my laptop & a document reader. I display probably 50% of the day (at least) on one or the other. We take notes together on the document reader.

I also have 5 computers right now (trying to find room for another one), which my kids use at least 2-3 days a week at center rotations.

My school has a computer lab that we can go to, and also has a portable class set of laptops for classroom use.

I will be getting a smart board over the summer, so I will hopefully use that as well next year.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 12, 2007

I have NO technology in my classroom. Zilch. They go to computers once a week. I'm lucky I have a white board.

10. lw3teach

lw3teach Companion

May 12, 2007

I want a white board!!! I am a Kindergarten teacher who sees such value in technology and the engagement it would provide.
    I would like to go to Project Based Learning next year and I am hoping for a white board. Other than that, I have the basic computer, though it does have iTunes, inspiration and we now have the ability to PodCast. Still have the same VCR from 7 years ago though.... technology take me away!

11. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

May 12, 2007

WOW, I am impressed! Awesome work you do with your students! I wish I had one ounce of your talent.

12. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 12, 2007

Well...
    I have 2 student computers in my classroom that have SuccessMaker, KnowledgeBox, and AR quizzes on them. Students go to these during station times, and when they are finished with their work. All the programs are great if you utilize them for you. I also have many CD-Roms that are either digital books (with activities) or programs that work on skills. I also use e-instruction in my classroom with several different subjects, as well as united streaming. We also use our computers to publish books that they have created through the Writer's Workshop process. My students can visit my classroom website, or the schools' website, and go to any student links (only if they've completed their computer assignments for the week).
    We also go to computer lab as a special class 2 times a week, and then have 2 extra times we go for remediation and extension lessons (teachers lead those extra times).
    Our grade level has a tech cart that has a laptop, projector, and ELMO on it. It is kept in my room, so I use it more than others. I've requested an LCD projector for next year. I'm not sure if I'll get it or not. Guess I have to wait for August to see.

13. mhirsch

mhirsch Companion

May 12, 2007

Thank you for your kinds words.

14. Chelsee82

Chelsee82 New Member

Jun 20, 2007

Using Computers

I also have just 2 computers in my classroom. I utilize them mostly through rotations/stations. Though our school has a computer lab the computers are not equipped with word processing programs. I'd really like my students to get more typing experience. We sometimes publish our Writer's Workshop work through our rotation, but that takes almost 2 weeks with only 2 computers. Any suggestions?

15. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jun 20, 2007

I have an LCD projector, a laptop, an interactive whiteboard, 6 desktops, a digital camera, a scanner, and two printers. All of my lessons are done on my ACTIVboard. Most of my notes, and vocabulary are ppt presentations. The only things I write on my whiteboard are the date and my objectives.

16. aya

aya Rookie

Jul 25, 2007

17. teacheratheart

teacheratheart Companion

Jul 25, 2007

Amen to that sister!! I'm right there with you. Although, at my old school we had 3 computers plus a laptop and LCD projector in the class. So for social studies I used to make Powerpoints to go along with our lessons. The kids loved it!

18. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 25, 2007

I understand your problem. Is there any way you can request for some type of word processing program be put on the computer lab computers?

19. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 25, 2007

For our computer lab: Our kids go 4 times a week. Two of those times are "special class" times, and we have an aide that is in there with the kids. The other 2 times the teachers take their students in and teach them. I do a lot of remediation and science/social studies activities when I'm in there. The only thing I hate (hate!!!) about the lab is that the student chairs are swivel ones with wheels. Most kids can control themselves, but the few that can't drive me crazy. I have been known to go to the classroom next door and ask to borrow a regular chair for those students. Anyway... Back to technology:

I also have an e-instruction set in my classroom that I try to use as much as possible.

20. aya

aya Rookie

Jul 25, 2007

You could get free typing lessons online like Dance Mat Typing I have it linked from my site on the "Typing" page http://tenkely.org.
    Free word processing at www.google.com/educators click on classroom tools.

21. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 25, 2007

There you go Chelsee. aya has links for you.

22. teacheratheart

teacheratheart Companion

Jul 25, 2007

Dance Mat Typing is hilarious!! That's the one through the BBC, right? You should definitely use that. I sometimes get on there just for heck of it.

23. aya

aya Rookie

Jul 25, 2007

That is the one...the kids love it too! I have kindergarteners who have taught themselves to touch type with Dance Mat...we play with it at school and they go home to see how much they can do.

24. katydid205

katydid205 Companion

Jul 25, 2007

I am so lucky. I am blessed with 4 computers, an LCD projector, screen, Interwrite Pads (little smart boards), and a document camera. The document camera is like an overhead projector, but you can put ANYTHING under the camera and it shows up on the screen in PERFECT color. It's amazing. No more transparencies. Anyway...I am planning on using a lot of powerpoint, United Streaming, Math games, D.O.L. together on the screen.