Technology in the classroom

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by Zanadu, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Zanadu

Zanadu Companion

Mar 28, 2007

I was wondering how do preservice and even student teachers learn about technology use in the classrooms? Looking through my class schedule there isn't any one course dedicated to learning about the different kinds of technology yet for every lesson plan we design we have to include some of the NETS standards. Since I've been observing I have encountered my first classroom Smart board, In Focus, and yesterday I actually saw my first ELMO. The thing is I haven't got a clue how to work them so I'm definitely at a disadvantage when it comes to trying to integrate them. Is student teaching generally where you find out how they are used? Do you think it would be advisable to ask one of the teachers I observe to show me how it works and how they utilize it in their classes?

3. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Mar 28, 2007

One of the first college classes required for me was a technology class specifically for teachers. It looked at both what technology could do for the teacher (gradebooks, class webpage, lesson delivery methods) and how teachers could encourage students to use it (webquests, evaluating computer games, using spreadsheets) It was all very hands on and we did each activity ourselves to really get a feel for it. It was one of the most useful classes I took!

I think it would be ok to ask the teachers you see to show you a little of it at a time. Don't expect one person to explain it all at once in one sitting.

Also, usually when integrating technology it is more about the students using technology, the items you mentioned are more for teachers to use for delivering instruction. Student technology integration might be for the students to make a powerpoint presentation about an author or use a digital camera and word processing program to make a book about their field trip to the zoo.

The website below has examples of ways to integrate technology based on what you are trying to do. Choose the type of activity from your LP and it will give you some ideas to get you started. :)

So sorry, I forgot to add the website! :sorry:
    http://txtipd.wm.edu/

Last edited: Mar 29, 2007
  4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 28, 2007

Tasha, could you post the Web site you mentioned, please?

5. irish2teach

irish2teach Rookie

Mar 28, 2007

To smcneely,
    If you are in a Liberal Studies bachelor's program you will more than likely be required to take some type of "Technology in Education" class and as Tasha said above, where you will learn lots of tricks and tips to assist you in integrating technology in your classroom.
    The classroom/school where you observed is fairly advanced technology-wise as most classrooms don't have all of that fun "stuff" you encountered. A "Smart Board" is my dream toy! They are FABULOUS but take a lot of time to learn and to integrate into your LP. But once you do it's awesome!
    Don't worry about trying to put it all together (technologically speaking) quickly as with anything worth doing and doing well, it takes time. Try googling "integrating technology" or look at any of the many, many lesson plan websites and search in the technology area for some tips and ideas.

6. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Mar 29, 2007

What is NETS and ELMO? ELMO is red, fuzzy, and on Seseame Street. I use NETS to catch fish. Anyways, one of my first classes in education was technology and media for educators... they taught us about most technology used and throughout student teaching i've learned even more with hands-on experience.

7. Zanadu

Zanadu Companion

Mar 29, 2007

Here are the NETS standards that we are required to use teaching -n-2. I'm not sure what an ELMO does but it looks similar to an overhead projector, just more daunting. Unless we will cover technology in our curriculum constructs and assessment classes there is no class for teaching us technology. So far the only thing we have encountered is electronic gradebooks. I guess it's a learn on your own kind of thing.

http://cnets.iste.org/index.shtml

8. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 29, 2007

I wish they provided more inservices on how to use technology in the classroom. I graduated in 2001 and never had a class on technology.
    I have a smart board, I have no clue how to use it. I have computers. I can use the basics but there is so much more I could do with them.
    Yesterday I went to an inservice for MicroWorlds EX/ NetLogo and was able to bring two students. We learned how to use it a little, but not enough to really intergrate it into the classroom.
    I have never heard of ELMO. Is it like a document reader?

9. 4monthcountdown

4monthcountdown Comrade

Mar 29, 2007

You have a SMART BOARD, and no one has shown you how to use it??? What a bummer!!! I know teachers who are just dying for one! It is an incredible tool. Maybe there is an IT person that can show you some basics. There are so many websites with interactive games. Just google interactive games or smart board and you will find TONS of uses for it! I couldn't live without mine.

10. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Mar 29, 2007

ELMO is a document reader. It more or less looks like an overhead projector, but will read off of books or papers. It is fun to use to show pictures in color that you may not otherwise be able to.

I too was wondering if there was a refresher course for technology that I could take at some point. Technology turns over so quickly that I will need one eventually. I know some schools have excellent computer teachers that hold weekly teacher tutorials to help bring more technology in the classroom, but not enough :)

11. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 29, 2007

Thanks. I have a document reader. I use it every day! The kids love it when I use it to teach math because it shows my hand in color. They think that is the best thing! lol.

12. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 29, 2007

I don't have an IT person. I'm it! Out of the two of us at the school, I am better with technology. One of the students tried to hook it up but she couldn't figure it out either. So it's just sitting in the conference room not being used.
    :(

13. 4monthcountdown

4monthcountdown Comrade

Mar 29, 2007

Maybe you can go on the smart technology website and find the directions. It would definitely be worth someone's time and effort!

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 29, 2007

Maybe there's a tech-savvy high school student who needs a service project?

15. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 29, 2007

I'm 20 miles away from the nearest high school.

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 29, 2007

But not, I bet, 20 miles away from the nearest high school student. And, heck, there's the Internet...

17. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 29, 2007

Your right I'm not 20 miles away. But smart me (hehe) already asked
    my students if thier siblings knew how to use it. They don't. So I'll keep messing with it. And pestering the principal to get someone up there to teach me how to use it. BTW the smart board makes a nice screen to project a movie onto.

Sorry smcneely for highjacking your thread.

18. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Mar 29, 2007

My technology in the classroom class was pretty worthless. We learned how to write a paper in Word (anyone who made it to their Junior year without knowint that...), make a gradebook in Excel, make a powerpoint, and search the internet. All things I already knew. Smartboards were never even mentioned.

19. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 29, 2007

My technology for educators was worthless too. It was a fancy way of saying, "we want to teach you how to use an apple computer." Umm...hello, I work in an Elementary and we use PC's.

20. Zanadu

Zanadu Companion

Mar 30, 2007

No problem. It's nice to know I'm not the only one lost when it comes to the technology. I think the main problem I'm encountering is that I'm required to include these in my lesson plans. Part of this includes actually going into a class and teaching the plan and then reflecting on it. I had included in one plan a collaborative web science project where I introduced them to the project via a Smartboard. It sounded great on paper! I had to skip it since the Smartboard was completely alien. I guess they (the school) assume that I have these skills. I guess this will fall under my Professional Development necessary prior to graduating. I'm just not sure how to get it.

21. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Mar 30, 2007

i learned how to do a webquest thing, put my portfolio on-line, make a webpage via word or works, and how to search the internet. that was about it. we'd been required throughout our college to use a projector and make powerpoints for projects anyways.