Technology in the classroom

Discussion in 'General Education' started by StudentTeacherofTucson, Feb 24, 2019.

?

Do you think students in fifth grade should have a phone?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

8 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. StudentTeacherofTucson

StudentTeacherofTucson New Member

Feb 24, 2019

Hi Everyone!
    I am currently in my fourth year at the University of Arizona and am completing a double major. My two majors are Elementary Education and Informational Science and E-Society. I am currently student teaching at a TUSD, in Arizona. I am in a fifth-grade class and thought it would be interesting to compare my fifth-grade experience with technology to my student's fifth-grade experience with technology.
    When I was in fifth grade, I didn't have a phone. None of my friends had a phone, and no one in my grade had a phone. I got my first phone was I went to middle school in grade 6. In sixth grade all my friends had phones and everyone in the school had a phone. The phones type range from flip phones, slide phones, blackberries, and iPhones. I had a slide phone, which was the norm among students in sixth grade. My phone didn't have data, and I could only text and call. Social media was not popular at this time. Most people, including myself, started to get social media in eighth and ninth grade
    I asked my 20 students different questions about phones and technology to get a better understanding of their opinion and to see how many of them use/have the technology.
    To complete my double degree, my final project for my methods research class is to gather information about how teachers feel about students having cellphones/social media in elementary school.
    Any information about students, ideas regarding technology in the classrooms and opinions about social media and cellphones are greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  3. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Feb 24, 2019

Please edit to remove your name.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  4. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Feb 24, 2019

Hi,

At our school, students aren't allowed to use cell phones at all during the school day. Personally, I like that because I find computers, laptops, Chromebooks, and IPADs that are used with the students are enough. Cell phones aren't needed at school. Good luck in your project.

5. MsKelsey

MsKelsey Rookie

Mar 18, 2019

I got my first phone in the 4th grade, it was a pre-paid flip phone that I used to text my mom letting her know if the teachers brought us to the front or back of the school to release us because it often changed depending on the weather. 2-3 other students had cellphones then.
    The following year I got a contract phone, but again no data, just calls and texts. All the students left them in their backpacks and genuinely didn't even think about them during the school day.
    When I got to middle school most students had phones but they were confiscated for any reason (even accidentally falling out of your pocket). The students' parents had to pick the phone up at the end of the day and pay a $15 fine (this continued to high school although the teachers at my particular school were very lax about this rule).

Now, I am a substitute teacher in a district where they are very laid back about cellphones and most schools are "connect" schools, meaning the majority of the coursework is done online. At the school I'm at the most, students have their headphones in most of the day and heavily rely on their tech and it often distracts them from their schooling. Too much of a good thing, is usually a bad thing.

There was one day that I was substituting a 3rd grade class when I had a student hand me his iPhone 7. The rule was the teacher had to keep it for the day. I think it's a little too much access for a 8/9 y/o.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    futuremathsprof likes this.
  6. GeetGeet

GeetGeet Companion

Mar 22, 2019

The phones are so addictive and distracting, I wish we could go back to flip phones most of the time.