Technology in the Classroom

Discussion in 'General Education' started by stephie18, Jun 19, 2010.

1. stephie18

stephie18 New Member

Jun 19, 2010

What types of technology do you use in your classroom? Does anyone have any great sites or suggestions for technology in the classroom.

I know about wordle is a really awesome tool to add some cool graphics in the classroom unique to your class or to make a graphic of kids answers to a class poll.

Also (just Google it) kn.pacbell.com/wired/fil/ is really awesome too to make small websites for assignments and webquests.

Any other technology ideas? This is very silly that we can't post websites, but i did my best to sudo post them!

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 19, 2010

I have a Promethean board that doesn't currently work (my laptop is dead and the desktops are too ancient to work with it).
    If you have a Promethean board and a whole lot of patience (their website is incredibly slow), Promethean Planet is useful.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 19, 2010

I have a smartboard that I use all day. Since I teach several grade levels, it is really easy to differentiate the lesson for the varied abilities of my students.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 19, 2010

I have SmartClassroom, which comes with lots of cool features.
    • SmartBoard
    • computer
    • Audio-Enhancement system
    • AirLiner wireless slate
    • document camera
    • presentation remote
    • student responders ("clickers")

I also have other kinds of technology.
    • 30 laptop computers
    • 2 student desktop computers
    • 2 color inkjet printer/scanners
    • a digital camera
    • TV with cable
    • Internet access on all computers (wireless laptops)
    • VHS/DVD player

I use all kinds of software and online programs.

6. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jun 19, 2010

I use different types of technology. I currently have:

Wireless Interwrite Pad
    LCD projector
    digital camera
    Flip camera
    laptop
    student computers
    document camera
    scanner/printers
    Turning Point student remotes (answer devices)
    presentation remote
    VHS/DVD player
    pull down screen

Technology is great!

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 19, 2010

I've used a document camera, LCD projector, Smartboard, airliner. Makes teaching so much easier and gets the students engaged.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 19, 2010

New members here can't post links until they have a certain number of posts-- it prevents spam.

Once you get your post number up, you'll have no problem.

9. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Jun 19, 2010

I live by my clickers and my slate board.

I also have a classroom set of graphing calculators, but that is more about technology that I'm teaching the students to use than technology I use for teaching

I am writing a grant for a document camera and another for a professional grade weather station over the summer.

10. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 20, 2010

11. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jun 20, 2010

This past year I had some of the technology mentioned such as Smartboard, Elmo, projector, student handheld device, & student work stations. Next year, I'm not sure if I will. In any case I will like to plan for the worst case scenario. I would be curious to know how you go about applying for a grant. If worse come to worse, I may have to break my piggy bank but would like to see what my options are first. Any info u can provide would be appreciated.

12. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Jun 20, 2010

The first thing to do is identify the sources of the grants you go after. There's a LOT of grant money out there and very few teachers apply for it.

My district has a retired teacher on part time who does nothing but help us go after grants. It's not well advertised and many teachers don't know of her position. Call your central office and ask them if there is someone in the administratin who can help you go after grant money.

Next, Google teaching grants. There's tons of sources out there if you Google around.

Most have rules about who and what they award money to/for. Read those and find the grants that meet your situation.

From there, figure out what the goal of their grant is. Write a proposal that asks for the gear you need and shows how that gear will allow you to meet their goal. (Keep in mind, this is about getting you something you need but the focus should be on them. They have a goal in helping specific areas of teaching and if you show them that you are that area you win.)

13. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jun 20, 2010

You can only use the technology they give you and the training you need. I have a PC and a projector. I use them when I can but I have not been trained to use an interactive white board so on those occasions I am in a room with one I cannot use it (or plan to use it). In fact in one room there is no other way of writing up so I have to use the IWB. Luckily the students in that class know how it works and they can show me how to use it!

last week a number of my colleagues were taken away to be shown how a 'Virtual learning Environment; works. Unfortunatly the course they were following took so much of the schools computing power that no-one else was able to run our own lessons properly. Videos would not stream and the rest of the system just ran at a snails pace. Luckily I still have a blackboard and chalk!

14. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jun 20, 2010

Muttling, thank you so much for your quick & thorough response!

15. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 20, 2010

I have received basically no training on the software, equipment or tools I use ... but, I have an exploratory nature and no real fear of breaking something. Just do it. Grab the manual and see what you can do. If the tool does appear to lock-up, there is probably a student or a staff member that can set it straight.

You're right, you have to have a back-up plan in case the technology goes down. All part of living in a digital world.

16. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jun 20, 2010

I have 24 wireless laptops, two printers, two digital cameras, two video cameras, two scanners, a SmartBoard (new this year!), and a grade level set of student responders (new this year!). A lot of the technology I have has been earned through programs that I have participated in over the course of my nine year career. I say, jump at these opportunities whenever they are available because it can only enhance your teaching.

17. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jun 21, 2010

I have an ActivBoard (another version of Smartboard), projector, two student computers and my teacher station.

I would LOVE to have wireless laptops for my students. If everyone had their own laptop then I could pretty much become paperless except for very small things.

I am going to try and get a set of the student ActivExpressions or ActivVotes to keep in the classroom rather than having to go check them out upstairs everytime I want to utilize them. (we got 20 new sets this spring so we have 30 sets now)

We don't have T.V's since we watch through Mediacast on the ActivBoard.

What I love is even if a flipchart is written for the Smartboard I can still use it on my board because it has the software to convert Notebook files.

I just wish I had an overhead still for some of my center activities. They are already set up for overheads and then I could still use the ActivBoard for an interactive center.

18. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jun 21, 2010

I am getting a smart board this summer....what do I do with it???????

I am sure we'll get no training either..

Oh, I kept my overhead projector for some projects....
    I have an Elmo, pc, vcr/dvd.

I am getting rid of my ancient student computer...one isn't enough and I don't have any software for it....

19. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jun 21, 2010

I have boring/simple technology due to the fact that apparently our district is poor...

overhead (yes, they are still out there!! lol)
    TV
    VCR/DVD player

and....that is all. Pretty poor isn't it? :(

20. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jun 21, 2010

terptoteacher,

You will absolutely love the Smartboard. They are awesome and the kids really like them (stay much more engaged). Is yours going to be a Smartboard or an Activboard?

21. BCPMWK

BCPMWK Companion

Jun 21, 2010

I just created a free wiki space (wikispaces.com). The site is free for teachers, and it is pretty user friendly. After looking at so many options for teacher/student interaction, I've decided to use Edmodo and a wikispace. I'm also using glogster and wallwisher. All these are free for educators!

22. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jun 21, 2010

If you're looking to get started with wikipages and want a very userfriendly site, check out http://primarypad.com/

23. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 21, 2010

I love Edmodo!
    My students love Glogster.
    Wallwisher is cool.
    Instead of Wikispaces, I've used Wordpress and GoogleSites (both free)

24. BCPMWK

BCPMWK Companion

Jun 21, 2010

ku~I can't wait to use it this fall! I'm working on my lesson plans now :)

25. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 21, 2010

Exciting isn't it!

I usually spend the summer making plans and tweaking the previous year, but this summer I am teaching a college class that I have never taught before ... it is kicking my butt to keep up!

Sorry for the hijack, but finding another HS English teacher is exciting ... I couldn't help it!

26. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jun 24, 2010

I have:
    An ancient laptop hooked to a projector
    A vcr/dvd player
    Wireless schoolpad
    Up to date teacher computer
    Doc camera (love that and the kids do too)
    An overhead projector (haven't used it in 2 years)

Can check out CPS clicker set, flip cams, digital cameras

27. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Jun 24, 2010

I noticed that you are a music teacher, so I searched for some stuff that might be useful in your room. These two links have links to resources for music teachers:

http://www.plattscsd.org/oak/smartboard/music.htm

http://www.menc.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1182

I have a Smartboard (with speakers), VCR/DVD hooked up to smartboard, Senteo response remotes (I'm the only one in the school that really uses them, so I got to keep them in my room this year), teacher laptop for smartboard, two student desktops, and two student laptops.

I use my Smartboard all the time, and never received formal training on it. Most of it was trial and error, and playing with it with our IT person.

This is also a searchable site for notebook lessons to use on the smartboard... it's my favorite site:

http://exchange.smarttech.com/index.html#tab=0

28. demijasmom

demijasmom Companion

Jun 24, 2010

All I had was a laptop, 6 student pc's and a overhead projector that was taped together.:(:(

29. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Jun 24, 2010

Why do you need so many? You have listed four here. Are they four different resources? How do you use them? Thanks.

30. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 24, 2010

Yes, they are different resources.
    Edmodo is a course management system.
    Glogster is an online interactive poster tool that students can use to create.
    Wallwisher is an interactive social bulletin board.
    I'm using Googlesites to create a classroom website (may not use it, Edmodo does most of what I need ... but, I wanted to play with GoogleSites just to learn about it).

That is only a tiny percentage of the tech tools I/my student use in my classroom. I use so many because the world my students are used to and are preparing for is a digital world.

All of my students have a tablet pc (we are a 1:1 wireless campus).

31. agsrule!

agsrule! Companion

Jun 25, 2010

I'm at a 1:1 wireless campus as well. All 3 grade levels will have HP mini notebook computers this year. We had a different device before. Our district likes to use Moodle, and I experimented with it a little last year. Have you used Moodle? If so, which do you prefer, Moodle or Edmodo? I just did the tour of Edmodo, and it seems interesting so far.

32. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 25, 2010

I've only played with Moodle ... it reminded me of Blackboard. It requires a server which my school wasn't interested in ... there are ways around not having a Moodle server, but it is clunky.

Edmodo is free and intuitive. Students find it super easy to use, I found it super easy to set up and use. Any time I've had a question, I got nearly immediate answers from the Edmodo forum or by asking on Twitter (the Edmodo folk are in my Twitter PLN).

Grades 9-12 at my school have Gateway Tablet PCs ... I LOVE that my students walk into my classroom with their own laptop!

My students LOVED the cell phone updates from Edmodo.

33. agsrule!

agsrule! Companion

Jun 26, 2010

Moodle is alright, but when I took a look at Edmodo, I like it better so far. I just think it is much more student friendly, and just flat out pretty! Moodle is very plain compared to this.

Thanks for posting all those sites. So far I've checked out two and can't wait to use them next year.

I do have another question for you though. How do you use Glogster in the classroom? Do you give your students specific assignments or requirements for the posters they make? How long does it take them to make the poster? I haven't tried to do that yet myself, but I did look at many of the already made posters on there. I can see myself using this with my middle schoolers, but I'm not quite sure how yet. Hopefully my district will allow access to the site.

34. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 26, 2010

Yes, Edmodo's design mimicks Facebook, so for most, it is a comfortable online atmosphere.

I create a Glogster for each section of my classes and share it as kind of an online syllabus on the first day of classes. Students also get a paper copy with the same info. But, Glogs look SO cool and I can link to it and give a dynamic presentation about the course.

I had students use Glogster to create a response to Poe. They had to provide a written explanation of the design (how it related to Poe's work). Our classes are 46 minutes long. I allowed 2 class periods to explore and create the Glog.

When students do a culminating project for a novel, I give them choice in types of assignments they do. Glogster is an option.

WARNING: Glogster has content not appropriate for kids. BUT, there is an EDUCATORS section that is perfect for the classroom. http://edu.glogster.com/

35. BCPMWK

BCPMWK Companion

Jun 27, 2010

My kids are going to do BIOglogs during the first week of school. Fave Bands, Fave Books, Family, Fave Vacation Spot...I plan to assign it on the first or second day, and have presentations Thurs or Fri. I made one for myself as an example.