Technology in Special Needs Preschool

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by babyjacobsmama, Oct 31, 2009.

1. babyjacobsmama

babyjacobsmama Rookie

Oct 31, 2009

I was wondering if anyone was using any sort of technology in their classrooms? I am taking a class about technology in education and am interested to know what other options there are for special needs preschoolers. We use the Edmark House Series at our school on the "Child Desk" computers and most of the children love it.

3. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Nov 1, 2009

I show United Streaming video segments. I have a computer and large screen near my circle area. After reading a book on Oranges last week, the children saw a video segment showing what happens to oranges after they leave the groves and before they get to the grocery store.

I also use Netrekker to find other sources for my children. After reading about nocturnal animals in the Weekly Reader two weeks ago, we viewed an interactive garden at night and found nocturnal animals.

My children visit our computer learning center weekly for 30 minutes. They have been working on Starfall and PBS Kids. Last week they created a Jack-O-Lantern on Starfall and printed it. Most of them can use the mouse and drag items. Shortly, I will introduce Symphony Math, which offers differentiated math.

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Nov 2, 2009

Good for you, Dzenna! :)

I've introduced JumpStart Preschool, and just got a touch screen (I have sped kids and the mouse isn't concrete enough for them to understand the connnection)... Intellitools has been put on my computer, but I haven't taken the time to figure out how to use it yet. I'm waiting on the special keyboard to run that program :)

5. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Nov 2, 2009

I have touch screens and jelly bean switches.

I found a CUTE website recently, too. http://www.kneebouncers.com Set the switch for space bar and it has a lot of cause/effect things

6. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Nov 2, 2009

Oh my favorite CD's are reader rabbit baby and toddler... good exposure!

7. babyjacobsmama

babyjacobsmama Rookie

Nov 3, 2009

What are Jelly bean switches?

8. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Nov 3, 2009

9. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Nov 3, 2009

OMG, Lori, that site is brilliant! :)I will totally be using that now ;)

10. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Nov 4, 2009

It is great for cause/effect or just exposure! I love it!

11. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Nov 5, 2009

I found hot dots! I love them. They are kind of like thetag reading system, but different. You can get flashcards and the pen for different things like letter sounds, matching letters, uppercase and lower case etc- if you touch the pen to the correct dot,it lights up green and says that's right etc. If you touch the wrong one it lights up red and says sorry try again. But the REALLY cool thing is that you can get the dots seperate and make your own games!

12. babyjacobsmama

babyjacobsmama Rookie

Nov 13, 2009

Thanks for all of your responses. I have tried out "kneebouncers" with my 2 1/2 year old son and my students and they LOVE it! My son calls it "my game"!! I also checked out the jelly bean switches you spoke of. I wish we had some of those or touch screens at our school. It would make computer learning much easier for my students!