technology in preschool/

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by bonneb, Aug 3, 2012.

1. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Aug 3, 2012

How do you use technology in the preschool classroom, or do you?

I am hoping to get an interview to teach at a preschool and this seems to be a recurring question at interviews. I appreciate any input.

3. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 3, 2012

I usually have the kids make PowerPoints to create presentations about the economy.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 3, 2012

Go trawl for ideas on Richard Byrne's blog at www.freetech4teachers.com. You can search it for iPad apps and much, much more.

5. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Aug 3, 2012

Great! Thank you so much.

6. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Aug 4, 2012

One thing that I haven't tried but would like to is digital photo frames. That way I can display pictures of what children do during free choice time and take pictures of block structures and other creative endeavors that cannot be saved.

7. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Aug 5, 2012

There's a fantastic new book called Teaching in the Digital Age: Smart Tools for Ages 3-3rd grade by Brian Puerling. It is based on the NAEYC and Fred Rogers Institute position statement on developmentally appropriate uses of technology. I liked it so much it was selected as our summer on-line book study. If you don't have time to buy the book and read it before your interview you can get lots of ideas just from reading the book study posts and responses found here.
    Good luck with your interview!:)

8. christine89

christine89 Companion

Aug 5, 2012

If you have a SMART board, there are online games and SMART notebook files that can be used. For games, I like the PBS website. I've also downloaded lesson/game files that I use. I've even pulled Reader Rabbit up on the board and we've played that.

9. dragonmaiden50

dragonmaiden50 New Member

Aug 20, 2012

We have a tiny tots computer with games for colors, shapes, and numbers on it for the kids to do (and that is all they are allowed to do on it, and they have to get off after ten minutes. No staying on ALL play time.). I like it because in this day and age, computers are part of life, so kids should learn about them and feel comfortable around them early.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2012

11. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 21, 2012

I have always chosen not to have computers in the classroom. I believe PS should provide opportunities that are not available at home.

12. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 21, 2012

I use Starfall and ABCMouse.com as part of my circletime on a smartboard. We also have the Waterford Reading, Math and Science computer programs that progress as the student progresses and has printable reports.

13. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Aug 22, 2012

We had a digital frame at parent sign in...it was a HIT! However, it broke after only a year.....we were all very sad. We did use digital cameras to take pictures for our parent binder which was like a print version of a blog. It had been a blog for a period, but I found it too hard to keep up with.

As far as children and the computer, we used Starfall for moments for children who READY TO READ....really ready....

We did use the computer for "research questions". For instance once we were thinking of getting chuckar (sort of like a quail) chicks and we needed to know what to feed them. It was a mini research paper for tiny children. We treated their questions as important and looked them up as important. I also made sure we looked some things up at the library and in books so that the children were aware how to seek information.

As far as using technology as a toy.....no....we didn't do that. I believe preschool is about interacting with peers, teachers, environments and apps and programs are something you do alone. Therefore not at school....for the most part.