Technology in every classroom?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by scheidan, Feb 19, 2010.

1. scheidan

scheidan Rookie

Feb 19, 2010

Hi everyone,

I went to a career fair a few weeks ago a year early (I'm a post BA who will be finishing next year).

Anyways, one of the districts that I'm very interested in said that they are working on a program to have every freshman have a laptop, or computers in every classroom (they are still working out details). The dean I spoke with recommended that I come back next year with some ideas on how to best use these new technologies. (Which, btw, I took as a good sign that they would be interested in talking to me again next year?).

Do any of you have programs like this? What do you do? What would you do? (I'm group social studies, but figure I could steal ideas from any subject).

3. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Feb 19, 2010

I have taught in a 1:1 laptop school for the last 7 years and ku_alum also teaches in a 1:1 school. It is wonderful. I teach science and ku teaches English but we steal ideas from each other all the time. What do you want to know? In addition to the laptops, we use a program called DyKnow which is a monitoring software plus other things. I also have textbooks on the computer, a document camera, and a projector.

4. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Feb 19, 2010

Yep, what chemteach55 said! :)
    Thanks, Chemteach!

5. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Feb 19, 2010

I'm also in a 1:1 school, and we love it!

6. scheidan

scheidan Rookie

Feb 20, 2010

Do you incorporate these daily? How so?

7. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Feb 20, 2010

I use the laptops daily. My students come in and using Google docs they start on their beginning of class assignment. During this period, I check roll and discuss makeup work with other students. If I am going to give notes, then I get the on DyKnow for both the monitoring and interactive capabilities. If we are working problems then we also get on DyKnow so that I can pass control around and different people can work the various problems. With DyKnow, I can monitor what the students are able to access on their computers. The students can also see what is on my laptop on their laptop. Control can be passed from one student to another and everyone can see what is being written on their own individual laptops. If my students are on DyKnow, I can control what programs they are on. For instance if I wanted them to have access to their textbook while we are taking notes, then I can set it to allow them to open their textbook and DyKnow and those are the only 2 programs that they can open. I use TeacherWeb and Google docs to distribute papers, etc. We also use many free Web 2.0 applications such as Wordle, Prezi, and Glogster. I am also our site administrator for Discovery Education. I will set up assignments on that site which as sort of like webquests. Another favorite of mine is Google Earth because I find that my students have little geography knowledge so any time we discuss a place, we bring it up on Google Earth and look at how far it is from our school.

8. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Feb 26, 2010

We are a 1:1 school too.

9. scheidan

scheidan Rookie

Feb 26, 2010

Thanks chemteach, that gives me some ideas.

Although, I was subbing in a 1:1 middle school on Wednesday and it was about every fear that I had with such a program. Computers were dropping all day, the regular teacher forgot to put notes up on Moodle. The other thing, it seemed like the teacher just put notes up, the students read them then did their HW- don't know how much actual teaching was going on in there.

10. mrduck12

mrduck12 Companion

Feb 26, 2010

It would take a great deal to sell me on that much tech integration.

11. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Feb 26, 2010

Network connections drop 4 me about once every 3 months (our infrastructure can support all students having laptops). Usually network is back up in a couple of minutes, if not is no different than being flexible in any other teaching station.

As for teaching going on ... I feel more teaching can happen because so many of the little time eaters can go away and be replaced with a couple of clicks.

Teaching in a tech rich classroom is wonderful. I don't need the tech to teach, but it enhances so many things. For instance, today my seniors were dissecting very complex metaphors, and some of them had no background knowledge for the comparison. After a quick YouTube search I found an example (in this case, a horse gathering his feet before a leap) and student instantly had an image to understand the metaphor comparison. Would have been a less immediate connection if I did not have technology. Finding images in a book like that would have taken me a long time to bring back to the lesson.

12. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Feb 26, 2010

SorRy, i meant "situation" not "station"
    in my last post. Posting from my iPod.

13. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Feb 27, 2010

Technology if used correctly enhances the classroom and does not disrupt it. I would never want to go back to chalk and a chalkboard. Even being able to share ideas on a site like this is technology integration in the classroom so you are using technology in your classroom.

14. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Feb 27, 2010

Don't you love your iPod touch? If I remember correctly we both got them for Christmas this year. I am absolutely in love with mine. I was afraid I was going to regret getting that instead of the iPhone but so far I pretty much have wireless almost anywhere I go with it.

15. chessimprov

chessimprov Rookie

Feb 27, 2010

I am supposed to be in a 1:1 laptop school. In my situation, we have many problems.

All the 10th graders this year were in 9th last year and they all got their laptops. This year, only a number of kids, I would guess about 20-30 out of 100 have their laptops in 10th grade. In 9th grade, they all have their laptops, each individual, unless they elected not to take one.

There's been a problem with damage of laptops. This year, we got even smarter and made the parents attend a workshop before the students could even get their laptops if they did not owe for one.

Some good things are what some of the teachers mentioned. There's a resource in front of the students, and they can be very interactive with their tools. some disadvantages are that the students go on websites they are not supposed to. Even when you ask them to go off, they give me attitude about it and try to come up with all kind of excuses. Viewing the websites they are on is difficult.

They try to hide their computers from letting me see it, and they tell me that I'm spying on them and a bunch of other stuff that is more demeaning. The computers are not networked in such a way that I could see what they are doing from my computer unfortunately. wireless connections are difficult with my computer. They give many teachers older computers, but some of the students get newer computers.

They will play music on the computers even though I don't allow it, and instead of using the computer as a tool, they expect me to baby them through every website and every click and character. I refuse to do that! I make them work enough before helping them step by step. They need to think and enjoy using the computer academically. They have the mind to get on websites they are not supposed to, so they can certainly try to navigate math software and such.

oh yeah, in terms of the curriculum, there are certain standards that we have to meet which apparently are not all within the curriculum of the online "book." there is some nice activities with the EPIC curriculum I use, but the material and language tend to be kind of advanced for them. I use it as much as I can anyway and try to break it down for them. What's hard is not having any books to work with and looking up resources for much of the content not even in EPIC to meet the standards. This does not seem like such a standard practice for high school. While I love working with an online curriculum, an easily accessible answer key (not something you have to navigate on too much) and availability of content, and also if the video and other things can expand wide enough without use of the projector equipment (if you even have one) are things to consider.

16. mrduck12

mrduck12 Companion

Feb 27, 2010

What the above poster said.

17. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Feb 27, 2010

Yes--I have problems with technology but as a critical thinker, I figure out ways to overcome these problems and make the technology work in my classroom. If you are stuck in the 1900's in your teaching methods, then your students are going to tune you out. I am really glad that you are very far away from me because I would hate my children to have to learn from a teacher stuck in the 19th century and then be expected to go out and produce in the 21st century.

18. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Feb 27, 2010

Go, Chemteach, Go!! :)

19. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Feb 27, 2010

I think that it would be neat to work in a school that has 1:1 laptop capabilities. I would be very interested to see how it would work in an elementary school. I can see kindergarten kiddos having to really learn how to take care of the laptops, etc. I would love to be able to see a school/classroom like this in action.

20. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Feb 27, 2010

Agreed, Chemteach! No, you don't have to have technology to be a good teacher. I was a good teacher with pen/paper/books, and I'm a good teacher with a laptop in a 1:1 environment. It's just another tool to use. If you're an apathetic teacher now, technology won't help that.

As long as your students are successful and your principal is happy with what you are doing, keep on trucking.

However, for those of us who *want* to try new technology, please don't assume that we are sacrificing any standards to do so. I would put my students up against anyone others, anytime. My kids learn, I love to teach, and my classroom is fun for me and them. Technology helps with that.

21. chessimprov

chessimprov Rookie

Feb 28, 2010

Let's put it this way. If you need current technology to succeed, how did our ancestors succeed? Technology can always be learned later, but it undoubtedly can be another wonderful tool to be using.

22. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Feb 28, 2010

You do not get it--we all did fine before we had the technology. The technology I use does not help me be a better teacher. It helps me prepare my students for the 21st century. They are not going to send a paper to their boss handwritten in ink. They are going to collaborate with others in other states and countries using google docs or some similar technological product to produce the report. Gone are the Ward Cleaver days when Ward comes home from work with his briefcase full of papers. I realized how important technology was when I went to pick up my hubby for lunch last summer. On this desk, he has 2 desktop monitors and a laptop. There was not a piece of paper nor a pen or pencil in sight. He has a fairly large office so on the other side there is a conference table with another computer and a projector set up for skype sessions or cyberconferences. Most business is conducted this way. He does not carry home a briefcase because any papers that he might need at home are stored on the internet in a private google docs type system. He works for an insurance company and he will train you on the basic way that their company works but he is not even going to consider hiring someone who cannot use the basic technology. So where do you expect them to learn this? They learn this in my classroom while they are learning the physics that I am teaching them or they learn it in ku_alum or bandnerdtx's classrooms along with the English that they are teaching them. Technology is not taking away from the subject matter material that I teach. I have had 3 out of 10 students who have won 1st place in the state for physics and the other 7 have placed in the top 10 and I am sure that the others who are using technology have similar successes. What success is coming out of your classroom?

23. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Feb 28, 2010

Go, Chemteach, Go!
    I love every word you wrote!

24. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 28, 2010

Ouch!!

Technology or no technology, one thing they learn is basic respect, even for those with whom they disagree.

25. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Feb 28, 2010

We're not a 1:1 school where I teach, but I wish we were. At my school, the district just finished installing Smartboards in all the classrooms.

26. kickchick2000

kickchick2000 Rookie

Mar 2, 2010

The high school I work at will be going 1:1 next month. I'm so glad I ran into this thread to see how others are dealing with things.

27. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Mar 2, 2010

I'm earning my masters in educational technology and I am discovering that the number of teachers who are NOT learning about and integrating current Web 2.0 tools in their curriculum is much too great. Many of your students know this technology already and need to be taught the curriculum implementing these technology tools in real-life applications. Even if they aren't familiar with a particular tool, they are quick to learn it. Give them the basics and watch them run with it.

There was once a time, in America, where all schools used one book for teaching..what was it called...a Primer or something like that? Eventually, teachers and schools had to be open to using other books (thank goodness!!). Over time education changes. The tools we use change too. We are currently going through another time of change and like it or not, Web 2.0 is not going away. As teachers, we need to jump on board and brush off our fears because our students deserve teachers who are able to use all available tools for quality lessons. I was terrified when I began this program. Looking back on all I'm learning, I am so grateful that I am in this program. I'm in the loop and it feels good. I also have a leg up on other teachers who don't know what I know. My students are reaping the benefits and my principal loves it. I'm happy. Don't knock it anyone. Try a workshop or two and then decide whether or not it's good for your students. (And I agree about the paper/pencil comment....Other than in the classroom, I don't write out anything by hand. All of my work is done on my laptop. I'm becoming allergic to pencils! LOL)

28. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Mar 2, 2010

You're going to love a 1:1 environment! :)