Technology in Classrooms

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mr_post22, Feb 10, 2014.

1. mr_post22

mr_post22 Companion

Feb 10, 2014

I see some of these videos on YouTube of these teachers who look like they have it all, especially elementary teachers. So I was wondering:
    1) What do you teach (grade & subject)?
    2) What kind of technology do you have to teach with?
    3) How do you have it set up in the room (is your projector mounted to the ceiling? Is your SMART Board mounted to the wall, etc...)?

MY ANSWERS:
    I teach 9th grade geometry and English.
    I have a LCD projector and an Elmo and my desk computer for when I use PowerPoints.
    My projector and Elmo is on a cart in-front of my desk and my computer is on my desk and I have a USB running to connect into my projector but my I don't have a SMART Board yet so I still use the pull down screen. My school has several computer labs that all run Windows 7 but none of the teacher computers do. I also have a personal HP Officejet Pro 8600* I also have 2 wireless keyboards and mice (personal), one set is at my desk and the other is at the cart with my projector and ELMO. I also have Bose Speakers connected to my computer (personal), a basic school TV and a VCR and a Wii* for when I have to show movies or videos, I am lucky and my room had WiFi. Oh yeah, I also have one of those 3M overhead projectors, you know the ones that needed the transparencies, and I still use it when my projector is being a brat and won't work right.

*I bought these at an estate sale after my neighbor died and the family wanted nothing. I paid $10 fir the printer and $15 for the Wii.

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Feb 10, 2014

1) What do you teach (grade & subject)? 11th & 12th self-contained SPE. I used to teach preschool SPE.

2) What kind of technology do you have to teach with? Smartboard and basic computers (now and then)

3) How do you have it set up in the room (is your projector mounted to the ceiling? Is your SMART Board mounted to the wall, etc...)? This is what we have... http://smarttech.com/685ix well, we have the first version of this. Short throw projector is attached to the board.

4. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Feb 10, 2014

Mild/Mod. sped K-6

I have a smartboard mounted to the wall with the projector mounted to the ceiling. My "teacher laptop" is a macbook pro.
    Our students also have 1:1 ipads. I'm at a new school this year and have never had any technology whatsoever before aside from a doc cam. It's been nice!

5. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Feb 10, 2014

1. 3rd Grade
    2/3. Projector mounted to the ceiling. Smart board, mounted to the wall. Teacher computer w/ two monitors. Macbook w/ ten ipods to use at my discretion. 10 student computer stations. Mobi board, scanner, document camera, presentation clicker, teacher mic, student mic, teacher iPad, I feel like I'm forgetting a few things. Oh and a VCR. It's amazing. Anyway you throw it, my technology inventory sheet is like three pages long.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Feb 10, 2014

Old school (k-5)- All teachers had ceiling mounted projectors, mounted Promethean ActivBoards, a MacBook, an iPad. There was 1 document camera and 1 scanner per grade level. Every classroom had 3 iMacs and a printer. Apple TV was being phased in. 5th grade had 1:1 iPad Minis. We had 4 MacBook carts to share. 1 computer lab with 31 iMacs. Cart of iPods to share. (The district I lived in had 1:1 MacBooks!)

New school: I am one of the lucky ones with a projector. No document camera. 1 classroom desktop computer (teacher computer) in each room. 2 computer labs for a K-6 school.

7. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Feb 11, 2014

1) First grade

2) Macbook pro laptop for me, 8 iMac classroom computers, document camera, Epson BrightLink interactive projector (it's a projector that makes the whiteboard an interactive board), classroom amplification system with two microphones. Oh, and a b&w laser printer. We do not have a separate computer lab at our school.

3) The projector is mounted to the wall and sticks out from the wall pointing at the board...if that makes sense. I do not have a mounted board because the projector actually turns the whiteboard into an interactive board. It's pretty amazing, actually. The document camera is on my desk, as is my laptop. The student computers are on built in counters along the wall of the classroom.

I have a lot more technology than surrounding districts because I am at a charter. Technology is a priority under our charter, and we get grants. (My school is also very low-income, which = more grant money.) We have a full time tech staff as well. I feel very fortunate.

8. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Feb 11, 2014

Third grade.
    I have an ELMO, projector, SMART board one teacher and one student computer.
    The smart board is mounted in between the whiteboards, the projector is a ceiling mount, the ELMO is on a cart in front of my desk.

9. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Feb 11, 2014

Music K-5.
    I have a MacBook Pro as my teacher computer. I also have a projector, document camera, new interactive projector (probably the same as yellowdaisies), and Apple TV. There is also an iPad lab that I can check out (shared with the whole school).

In addition to above, regular classrooms also have an older desktop computer for the teacher, two older student desktops, a student iMac, and student MacBook. Each grade level has a MacBook lab that they share. Some teachers have a school issued iPad.

10. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Feb 11, 2014

1) What do you teach (grade & subject)? English I and English III
    2) What kind of technology do you have to teach with? Each student has his/her own school issued laptop, as do I. In addition, I have a SmartBoard, a projector, an "e" response system, and a document camera.
    3) How do you have it set up in the room (is your projector mounted to the ceiling? Is your SMART Board mounted to the wall, etc...)? My SmartBoard is mounted, but my projector is not. I wish it were! The stand that it has to set on is very bulky and makes for extremely limited room arrangement.

11. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Feb 11, 2014

1. High School US History and World History II
    2. I have a projector, 2 student computers, my laptop (HP) and a printer from the school. I also have a Mimio that's mine.
    3. Projector is ceiling mounted, stereo speakers mounted above whiteboard. The Mimio is a magnetic bar that can be moved around.

12. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Feb 11, 2014

1) K-8 Reading (Title I and Read 180)
    2) I have a laptop for me (macbook), 5 mac desktops for student use, a printer, Smartboard with projector mounted from wall above (all school supplied)
    3) Projector and smartboard are mounted with speakers above the board, 5 computers are in study carrels along a wall

13. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Feb 11, 2014

At my school, every student has a samsung chromebook. We use google apps for a lot of our work. The students use google docs to turn in papers etc. We use chrome books instead of textbooks. None of the middle school classes have textbooks at all.

I also have an iPad, a macbook air and an apple tv device to project etc.

14. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Feb 11, 2014

The school provided me with an Elmo, a projector, a laser printer, and a desktop computer (nearly unusable at the time until I bartered for a better one).

I brought my own netbook from home to connect to my projector for basic presentation needs so I didn't have to have wires all across the room and keep switching them out. The science department bought color printers for our classes.

I raised money for a partial class set of Chromebooks and 2 digital cameras.

15. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Feb 11, 2014

I teach grades 9-12 US History, World History, and Current Affairs.

I use a projector and my personal laptop everyday to conduct my PowerPoint lectures. Both sit on a table and project onto my blackboard where I taped white paper to create a "screen."

I can also borrow an Elmo, Smartboard or document camera but I don't need them. I have no computers in my room outside of my personal laptop though.

16. mr_post22

mr_post22 Companion

Feb 12, 2014

You still have a blackboard!!! Fantastic!!

17. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Feb 12, 2014

) What do you teach (grade & subject)? 2nd grade all subjects
    3) How do you have it set up in the room (is your projector mounted to the ceiling? Is your SMART Board mounted to the wall, etc...)?
    I have a projector which is ceiling mounted with my ActivBoard connected to the wall. I have ActivSlate, ActiVotesm (class set), and ActiView document camera. Additionally laptop, ipad, 4 computers and our school has two computer labs. One is for Fast ForWord and our library has about 20-25 computers.

It wasn't until I was typing this that I can see that I am blessed compared to others.

18. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 12, 2014

1. mixed grades of 9-12 and I teach English II, English III and a credit recovery class.

2 - 3. desktop computer, laptop, laser printer, iPad (although I don't use it), docucam, projector mounted to ceiling. Laptop and docucam is hooked up to projector, and I can use the desktop for other stuff at the same time. Next year (or some time in the future) I'd like a Smartboard. I also bought and was reimbursed for a wireless mouse for the Powerpoint presentations.
    Students in credit recovery class use laptops (class is online), but I can also use these laptops in English classes, since they're in room.

19. AliLand

AliLand Rookie

Feb 15, 2014

1) What do you teach (grade & subject)?
    English, all grades. I work in a language school, kids come from about 8 years old up to adult. The school also teaches computers, so we have more technology than most similar schools in the area.
    Not including the computer department (conference style & class style - huge range but I don't go often)

There are 3 classrooms with wall mounted smart board - usually prioritized for smaller children. And 3 with overhead projected computers which I personally prefer. 2 classes have rows of monitors and key boards, but I never use those. I do really like the overhead- its great just to stick in your USB and be ready and I like that I can look at a computer screen on my desk, with the work coming up behind me - so you don't have to turn your back on the class. To be honest though, I like a mix. Some times I want students in rows paying attention, but often I prefer the large conference style rooms even though they come without technology. Wfi is useful, I can email the secretary things I want printed and she'll bring them straight in. Despite all the online stuff, we've got a really well stocked teachers library and I find myself using the photocopier more than anything.

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2014

1) What do you teach (grade & subject)? Grade 3
    Smart board, doc cam, 2 desktops, one lap top, access to laptop carts with enough for full class, access to iPads (about one per every three or four kids), school as technology lab with an allotted time each week for every class K-4
    Projector on ceiling, SmartBoard mounted to wall.

21. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Feb 15, 2014

I teach 11th grade English, 12th grade English, and Psychology

I have a Windows 8 laptop tablet, a 2nd monitor, an Elmo, a ceiling-mounted digital projector that I project on my whiteboard.

All of my students have Windows 8 laptop tablets for school and home use.

22. Ms_C

Ms_C Comrade

Feb 15, 2014

I teach 7th grade reading.

In my classroom, I have my teacher laptop, a second monitor, a document camera, Promethean board, ceiling mounted projector, a cart with 30 netbooks and 30 Nooks.

Next year we are going truly 1:1 with students taking their laptops with them.