Technology Guru help me please!!!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MissAmy, Jul 30, 2009.

1. MissAmy

MissAmy Companion

Jul 30, 2009

I am needing a program or even the right direction to turn.

Ok ~ I want a program that will let me custom choose my spelling list for each week without retyping the list and definitions every week. I am envisioning a program where I can save my spelling words and definitions into categories or even an alphabetical list. When I need my next week's spelling list, I would just click on the word and it would add the word and my definition to the list.

Right now I have it all saved in Word documents and to create a custom list each week I go through tons of cutting and pasting.

Is there a program like this out there or a product I can adjust to fit my needs? I have looked around but I can't seem to find one that I can input my own words and definitions into.

PLEASE HELP!

3. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 30, 2009

I haven't heard of such a program, but maybe you can visit http://www.spellingcity.com so students can put in words they need to practice every week. The website tailors their games around the words that are typed in by the visitor. That's the most I could suggest.

4. Jen in NCal

Jen in NCal Rookie

Jul 30, 2009

I wonder if something like that could be created in Access. I'll have to ask DH when he gets home.

5. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 30, 2009

I googled "create spelling lists" and found several programs that you can purchase or download for a fee ... still looking/thinking of a free way ...

Here is a pay one: http://www.spellquizzer.com/index.htm

6. Ceyber

Ceyber Rookie

Jul 30, 2009

An access database would work, as would a spreadsheet. It would be a simple program to make, but I suspect that one already exists for sale, so my dreams of making it big are dashed! :)

7. MissAmy

MissAmy Companion

Aug 2, 2009

Thanks all for your suggestions. I haven't tried access because I don't have that program on my computer but I think it probably would work.

ku alum: I looked at the pay site. It looks like a useful site except I can't include my definitions with the spelling lists. :(
    Thanks for looking though.

My solution for now is that i just seperated my spelling lists into subjects ~language, math, science, and social studies.

I then seperated those lists into units like I would teach them. That might make it a little easier to cut and paste this year.

Thanks again for all your help.
    :)

8. Starista

Starista Cohort

Aug 3, 2009

Heya Amy!! :)

I am unsure if this is exactly what you're looking for ~ but edhelper.com has a wonderful spelling feature.

It allows you to upload and then save spelling lists (or any word lists) for future reference. There, you can print out word wall cards, worksheets for homework options (ABC Order, Write Each Word 2x, Word Searches, even a cursive handwriting practice sheet and many more). Edhelper has a yearly fee and I am debating about whether or not to renew my subscription this year. My second graders really loved the Word Searches for morning work, but I know there are several free sites out there that generate those!

I so hope this helped! :)

:)