Technology (firewall) woes

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jan 10, 2009

I found a great lesson plan for teaching mood and tone. Basically, I wanted to start off the lesson by showing my class 2 Mary Poppins trailers from Youtube. Basically, the first one is as it was meant to be seen. It's bubbly, upbeat and very Disney-ish. The second one uses 100% original clips, but someone changed the music and the clips flash very quickly, making it look like a thriller trailer. It's really well done!

I'm frustrated because I won't be able to do it, due to the firewalls. It bums me out. There's no way around this, is there? (I'm not wanting to hack or anything :lol:)

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 10, 2009

Those same clips aren't by any chance also on Teachetube, are they?

Would it get through the firewalls???

4. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jan 10, 2009

teachtube works, but it's not on there

5. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jan 10, 2009

You can download Real Player, and then you can download youtube clips with Internet Explorer and the Real Player extension that is automatically installed.

Once you've downloaded the clip on a non-firewall computer, transfer it with a memory stick onto your firewalled computer. This is a much better (and much more legal) way of getting a hold of that clip to use.

6. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jan 10, 2009

Wow, thanks, can't wait to try it!

7. Ceyber

Ceyber Rookie

Jan 10, 2009

The other option is to ask your school tech-person for access. Many districts allow educational use through the firewall.

8. AnonyMS

AnonyMS 7th grade ELA SDI in Texas

Oct 16, 2011

How do I download a YouTube clip? I don't see anything that says "download"

9. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Oct 16, 2011

10. turtlegirl

turtlegirl Companion

Oct 21, 2011

I had this problem all the time. If you type in "keep" in front of the you-tube address, a new window will open up with a website that converts you-tube videos into FLV files that you will then be able to save and then play at school. I do this ALL the time with videos I want to insert into my smartboard activities... for example....http://www.keepyoutube.com/watch?v=bOPTTBIIDc4... I put keep in front of the youtube address... then you will have to download it... don't be worried to click on allow when that button shows up!

11. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 22, 2011

12. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Oct 22, 2011

Pisces, we used to have this issue daily. What finally worked for us was a presentation we made before the school board using someone's laptop with hotspot so we could freely access the internet at the board meeting. One teacher from each content area used two clips from Youtube to show the validity of Youtube as an excellent teaching resource. Our presentation was awesome, parents also spoke out at the meeting about the educational value of Youtube (which was a BIG unexpected plus).

So, what we have now is an over ride of the blocking system - when we get the blocked message for Youtube, we have the ability to over ride the block, then we have to request a time limit, which is recorded to limit concerns the board had about teachers just sitting around watching youtube all class period, and then it is accessible to teachers.

It was well worth the time and effort to put the presentation together to get this changed. I know this doesn't help you now, but maybe something to think about in the future.