Technology / Engineering Teachers

Discussion in 'General Education' started by coolcoop36, May 14, 2015.

1. coolcoop36

coolcoop36 New Member

May 14, 2015

IS anyone else in my certification area? Does your school have a Technology or Engineering teacher? This is such a small field and it is very frustrating, I hear the call for STEM, yet they never talk about the engineering or technology part of that, very few schools actually value you this somehow! I would like to get other teachers opinions on this matter.

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 14, 2015

Most schools around here offer electives in that area.

4. Topsy

Topsy Rookie

May 14, 2015

I am in the midst of this STEM Certificate program:

http://www.us-satellite.net/endeavor/background.cfm

(It's all online, affiliated with Columbia Teachers' College, is underwritten by NASA (which provides data and other content resources) and is all online.)

In my first course, METHODS, one of the key ideas is that the true spirit of STEM is integration of all the subject areas. STEM means hands-on exploring, learning and building, with students using their math and literacy skills in teams to answer questions, illustrate/demonstrate concepts, or solve problems.

On our group discussion boards (40% of our grade), there were all types of teachers at every level, but only a few of them were allowed the freedom to truly integrate STEM lessons across subjects. Many times, there is territoriality between departments, or faculty/admin worry that it will take time away from core material.

One teacher said that her district developed STEM as a pull-out class, like a "special" dedicated to conducting experiments and observations, building, coding, robotics, etc., for their primary grades. I've seen that done in one of my local districts, too.

I think it's especially important to integrate STEM into primary school, before children get tracked or begin to hone their interests/choose electives.

5. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 14, 2015

I was given an elective to do what I pleased with. I ended up turning it into a Tech/Engineering elective.

It's not my area of certification, but I do have interest and various experiences in the field. My main job is teaching science.

As for valuing, I think electives in general don't get valued as much. In our school it's a little different, and we really respect our art and music teachers for what they do, because middle school kids really need that creative outlet.

Also, think about what you can do for the school. I've trained my elective students into being a kind of tech team for the school taking repair tickets and fixing teacher and student computers.

6. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

May 14, 2015

Can you tell me more about that program I just looked on the website...it appears the certification program is 3 courses.

Tech in our schools are more engineering than anything else.

I can not find a cost.

TIA

7. Topsy

Topsy Rookie

May 17, 2015

It's between $5-6K for the 3 courses. You can pay for all 3 up front, or you can pay about $1,700 for the first course. Everyone has to start with METHODS.

I finished METHODS but did not sign up yet for other courses. This is prime subbing season, so I'm really busy. Maybe later this summer or in the fall. Good luck!

8. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

May 18, 2015

^^^
    Thanks for the information @Topsy. :)