Technology advice needed - help!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by blessedmommyx3, Jul 17, 2007.

1. blessedmommyx3

blessedmommyx3 Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

I consider myself fairly technologically capable, but I am very lost with a project I keep seeing on different teachers websites - they put a picture of the child on a background like a Magazine cover, or American Idol page - here is a link to one of the things I am talking about. She emailed me that she used a print shop type program, but there are so many versions, and I bought one, but must have gotten the wrong one! If you look at her photo, she customized with the child's signature, and Newingham Idol - can anyone tell me what program to buy to do that???

http://hill.troy.k12.mi.us/staff/bnewingham/myweb3/

(click on the picture of the kids with guitars and scroll down to the almost last picture on the right side and you can click on it to enlarge it - two girls and the one on the right is holding her Newingham Idol picture.)

3. RobyBrow

RobyBrow Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

You can use Adobe Photoshop.

4. hdavidson

hdavidson Companion

Jul 17, 2007

I know Beth makes movies, using a "GREEN SHEET" and them superimposes any image on them. She may have done something like that. Did you email her and ask her??? Check out her movies they are great!

5. blessedmommyx3

blessedmommyx3 Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

I did email her - she said photoshop - I bought a photoshop and it doesn't have backgrounds like that. There are so many versions on ebay and they run hundreds of dollars. If I am going to spend the money, I want to know I am getting the right one! THanks for any help!

6. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jul 17, 2007

I think what she meant was that she created it in Adobe Photoshop, but that doesn't mean the background and all the images and text exist in that program, you have to create them yourself. She probably created a background, added text using the American Idol font, then inserted the child's picture in front of all that. I don't believe that it is already available out there and you can just buy it and do it quickly, you really have to know your Adobe Photoshop to do something like that. You would probably need a class or tutorial in how to use Adobe Photoshop before you could create that imo. I'm pretty well versed in AP and it would take me quite a while to do it.

7. RobyBrow

RobyBrow Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

Why don't you email the teacher and see if she would send the template to you?

8. aya

aya Rookie

Jul 25, 2007

Do you have Apple computers or something else?

9. blessedmommyx3

blessedmommyx3 Rookie

Jul 25, 2007

hp computers

10. aya

aya Rookie

Jul 25, 2007

With 3rd graders you could use something as easy as Kid Pix, they could actually create it on their own. They can first create a background or use one of the hundreds of pre-made and then import their picture and use the cut tool to cut themselves out. I'm not sure if it will be professional enough for your needs. You could also use something like Flickrs create a magazine cover online at http://bighugelabs.com/flickr/magazine.php or http://www.condenet.com/promo/xerox/ or http://urceleb.oniton.com/.
    If you have Microsoft Publisher, you can probably easily make a cover using that. Hope this helps!