"Techie" Question

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by ecteach, Jul 10, 2020.

1. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Jul 10, 2020

I have a MacBook that was gifted to me. It's time for me to purchase another laptop, and I want something similar, but without the hefty sticker price.

I do not like the "feel" of a Chromebook. This is what the district gives us, and I don't use it. I also want at least a 12 inch screen.

I'm willing to spend about $800, and would like something brand new.

I know someone at a store would be willing to help me, but I hate going into a scenario clueless.

Thanks, in advance, for any help.

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2020

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/d/deals/doorbusters?sort=sortBy&currentResultsLayoutType=grid&cid=us:sem|se|google|iip_nx_lenovo+only_tier+1|lenovo+only+control|lenovo|e|65105264|3187900184|kwd-845751236|text|brand&ef_id=Cj0KCQjwo6D4BRDgARIsAA6uN18VhFKSrVxq_DVFdwsVE0Sz_VWV5Buz5iypfU5LkzgoMQvhC7i-3s8aAi_QEALw_wcB:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!4030!3!446401798734!e!!g!!lenovo!65105264!3187900184&gclid=Cj0KCQjwo6D4BRDgARIsAA6uN18VhFKSrVxq_DVFdwsVE0Sz_VWV5Buz5iypfU5LkzgoMQvhC7i-3s8aAi_QEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

We have had several incarnations of ThinkPads over the years, and they have been great machines at a price you can live with. I, personally, like the 14" model https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-t-series/T490/p/20N2001YUS, but to each his own. If you follow the first link to this sale they are having, and use Rakuten, you can save an additional 12%. My suggestion is to use that and a bit more to extend the warranty. Lenovo has been very good about honoring warranties for our family, so we extend them. Usually it is something like a battery failing, and it was cheaper to have the laptop covered than buying a generic.

If you like 15" or bigger, I'm not the best person to talk to. I prefer a smaller footprint and lighter to carry. I have NOT looked into IdeaPad recently, but do know people with them who love them. You would have to up your budget a little, but would still be ahead of the game vs a Mac. https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptop...series/Lenovo-IdeaPad-S940-14IWL/p/81R00000US

It does look like a new 13" MacBook Pro can be had for $1049 by buying through a university - Wake Forest and NYU were the first two I came across. Don't know that you must be a student, so would be worth looking into. Our son has the machine, bought for him in 2006, and he is still using it as his daily machine. If that is what you like, it might be worth a look. Best of luck.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 11, 2020

What is it that you like about the MacBook that you want to have similar in your new computer? Also, what year is your current MacBook, and what about has made you decide that it’s time to replace it?

Unfortunately, the only way to get a Mac operating system or user interface is to buy another Mac. If you go with any other brand of computer, you’re likely going to be switching to a Windows operating system, similar to what you see on the Chromebook. If you’re accustomed to a Mac, it can be a steep learning curve to switch to Windows, and vice versa.

I come from a family of MacBook users and was raised on Apple products, so I’m likely a bit biased. That said, I think the MacBooks are worth the extra price tag for those that either prefer that user interface or need the features that can best be had by a MacBook. I just bought myself a new MacBook for a very hefty price tag, as I added extras to it. I look at it as an investment though. With good care, they last a long time, and Apple offers great support for any issues that arise. They can also be resold fairly reasonably when it’s time to move on to a new one. And, on that note, you can also purchase a used or refurbished computer for a reasonable price, and it will work like new.

So, if you really prefer the Mac interface, I would find a way to stick with a Mac interface, even if that means buying a refurbished model or selling your current computer so that you can raise your budget. If you’re really wanting to get something other than a Mac, then I’ll leave it to someone else to recommend something to you. But be prepared to learn a new operating system and adjust to a new user interface.

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2020

Bella, you make great points. I have never used a Mac, but my son would have nothing else. Instead of trying to get him to buy something else, I am trying to find a way to negotiate a new Mac, even it that means buying refurbished. He has had a long run on that first Mac, but I know that he is nursing it along at this point, and the need for an updated Mac can't be too far away. That first Mac was upgraded by quite a bit, which may be part of the reason it is still working. Much more hard drive and memory, plus software.

6. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Jul 11, 2020

I just bought my second macbook this past fall. My first was 9 by the time it started acting up, and it was just time to replace. I originally had a top-tier 2010-model pro and was able to get a 2019 Air with comparable features for half the price of my original. Half the price, and it's *still* better than the one I had.

I got great deals on both machines thanks to combining education pricing (20% off) and the back-to-college deals. The first time, I got my computer, a free printer, and a $20 ipod classic for a tad under 2k. I could have had an ipod touch for free, but I hate touchscreens so I paid to upgrade. The printer was an expensive all-in-one model- still works great.
    This time, with the education pricing (available to all K-college teachers), it was almost 1k with taxes for my Air and the USB adapter I needed, and I got a free pair of Beats. I think they're the studio 3 version.

The back-to-college deals should be starting soon. You can always re-sell the freebie if you don't want/need whatever it is this year. Depending on how old your current mac is, you can defray some of the cost by using the trade-in program. You should be able to get a lower-tier Air in your budget without trade-in credit if you use the ed. discount.

bella84 likes this.
  7. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 11, 2020

Just a note about the trade-in program... They often don't give you the full amount (or even close to it) that you could get selling your old device yourself. It's easier to trade it in than to deal with selling it, but there is a cost to doing it that way. Just something to keep in mind if you are concerned about getting the most money you can for the old device.

8. Pisces

Pisces Companion

Jul 11, 2020

You can trade your old MacBook in for credit at the apple store: https://www.apple.com/shop/trade-in You can find out online how much credit they'll give you towards a new one. I believe that BestBuy has a similar program too: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/clp/macbook-trade-in-offer/pcmcat748302046054.c?id=pcmcat748302046054

9. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Jul 12, 2020

10. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Jul 12, 2020

As dumb as this sounds, I just love the feel of it.
    I feel more productive when using it.

The Chromebook feels bulky to me, and it just seems slow.

My current model is a 2012. It still works fine. But, I am thinking about giving this one to my son, and getting myself a new one.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  11. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Jul 12, 2020

Not sure what you use day to day but last year I transitioned to only using an iPad. I create assignments, grade, etc from it. Only thing I can’t do at school is print so I use the school computer for that. I love it because the battery lasts all day without charging and it’s super light. I do use a keyboard though

12. whizkid

whizkid Groupie