Tech Tools for your Digital Classroom

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Kiki319, May 4, 2021.

1. Kiki319

Kiki319 Rookie

May 4, 2021

Hello all! I teach middle school in a district which went from mostly traditional to virtual learning overnight. Suddenly we were finally using a learning management system - our district chose Schoology which I love! - and we had to figure out how to conduct digital lessons in a setting that was also newly 1 to 1 for devices; our students didn't receive devices for home use until the pandemic shutdown and school went virtual.
    I have since found much success using Nearpod, Edpuzzle, and Kami for PDF editing. Those are the primary applications I use. Luckily our district purchased these for our use, and they have been integrated into Schoology which makes them much easier to assign and grade. We have also been offered regular PDs on various other web-based applications to se in our classrooms such as WeVideo, Peardeck, Discovery Education, My Simple Show, and others.
    I teach US History, and it has been fun learning to teach the past using tools of the present and future! There is an impressive bevy of resources available on the web, and I just love adding a variety of videos, colors, images, soundbites, games, and other tools to my Nearpod lessons, and I think it has helped my students come to love learning history too.
    Of course, engagement and participation remain a challenge in the virtual setting overall, and I think this will improve if the students return to in-person for the upcoming schoolyear. Fortunately, I have had pretty decent attendance in my classrooms thus far, but I do notice a slight decline in attendance now in this last quarter of the school year, and I am having to make more phone calls to students' homes.
    In either setting, what tools have worked for you? Are there any other applications besides the Google Suite which have enhanced your lessons and activities this year?

MrTempest likes this.
  3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 6, 2021

My school recently signed up for Achieve3000 for our ESL and IEP students. It's on the pricey side, but it's making a huge difference in our literacy levels. A free version of this (very stripped down in comparison) is Read Theory. The concept for both of them is after a summary evaluation of a student's Lexile, it will assign reading passages that will adjust with the student's comprehension. If the student scores a certain percentage on a quiz, the Lexile will adjust upward. I really, REALLY love this.

MrTempest likes this.
  4. MrTempest

MrTempest Companion

May 6, 2021

What grades do you work with? Also, how do the student's respond to Achieve3000?

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 6, 2021

I work with high school students. They really appreciate having the alternative to my standard curriculum!

6. Kiki319

Kiki319 Rookie

May 6, 2021

Thanks all! My district has purchased Achieve3000 for us and it's awesome for historical content and especially for improving literacy!

I teach middle school to the poster who asked, specifically 7th grade US History II (to the poster who asked the grade level I teach).

I recently planned a lesson for which I converted all materials to a digital format such as to be used in an OER (open education resource) setting for my Technology in Education grad class. I've been converting traditional sources to a digital format anyway since I have taught 100% virtually this entire school year, so I believe my lesson plan was sound, and I am comfortable with digital conversion and editing some digital materials to be used for my students on web applications such as the Schoology LMS, Nearpod, or on OER such as OER Commons.

Have you all had any experience using OER applications in your classrooms? Are you solely using digital materials in your classrooms such as e-textbooks and web-based learning management systems (LMS)?

7. Regan@Off2Class

Regan@Off2Class Rookie

May 10, 2021

Yes! I have had a lot of luck with Off2Class and that helps me a lot ;)