Tech lesson with little Technology!

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by ETeach78, Mar 19, 2013.

1. ETeach78

ETeach78 New Member

Mar 19, 2013

I teach half day preK and I am the new kid on the block at my school. The school received a technology grant where all the teachers got new computers and computers for their students. Since I am only half day and only have a small class, I was not part of the grant. My room has an old PC that does not connect to the internet and has one game the children can play. I have a laptop for my own personal use, but the internet connection is very sporadic and if it does connect, it is very slow.

So, we are required to do a lesson incorporating technology for observation. I could borrow a smart board, but I don't know if I will have internet connection or not! I could use my ipad from home, but that is only one ipad!

I really want to have a great observation, but I really don't know where to even begin! Any advice will be appreciated!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 19, 2013

I'd go to admin and ask what their expectations are given tat you have limited tech availability.

4. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Mar 26, 2013

I would use the ipad or the old computer and a powerpoint program. Set up a short powerpoint about your theme/topic and then have students help come up with questions to find out together or write in the answers to a specific question. Like you would chart using chart paper or by using a KWL chart.

Another idea is to pre-record a story onto a cassette tape and then do a read-aloud with the tape and the book. I've made a few such tapes for my listening center and the kids love them--I think they get a kick out of hearing my voice.

I've also heard that there's loads of activities you can do with an overhead projector, if you have one. I personally never have, so I don't know about that.

I would think outside the computer/internet box for this.

5. jbrinkm

jbrinkm Companion

Apr 4, 2013

You could download a SmartBoard activity ahead of time from here, the Smart Exchange. They have some really great ones created by teachers.

6. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Apr 4, 2013

If you can borrow a SmartBoard (but that's strange....I thought most were bolted to the wall) you won't need Internet access for most Smart Exchange lessons. Just be sure the lesson doesn't have a clickable link to a game or whatever on the Net. You will need to have SB software on the computer you hook up the Board to.